1968-D Cent - A little help - Attached links to sites I researched

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
JonC
Coin Collector

1968-D Cent - A little help - Attached links to sites I researched

#1 Unread post by JonC »

Ok here is my second try at typing this. My phone deleted the last one. Technology go figure LOL. So I found the 1698 D penny and started my research because of the die clash in the reverse bay. Looked on Wexler's and did not see anything matching. But when I went to Variety Vista and looked at both the DDO and DDR I saw some indicators. On the Variety Vista site 1968-D DDR-001 1-R-V-CW from K-7 stage C there was a die clash in the bay but it was in bay 9. Bummer. Went to the DDO's. On the 1968-D DDO-002, 2-O-II-E Stage B in Variety Vista. Die Cracks on Column #12, Die Chip on Upper Right Cornice, Die Scratch East from O of ONE, Date and Mintmark and others look like a match. But I am stumped by the die clash in the bay. Also on the obverse the forehead has a die crack? or scratch? Its an older coin and so since I am new I need a little guidance. Thanks Links to Variety Vista Below.

http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20 ... DDO002.htm
http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20 ... DDR001.htm
Attachments
C9183CF6-CE94-4822-9BF0-8185431F4B57.jpeg
76F59001-CE67-47DD-9C9D-6D0F90CDF113.jpeg
Inked68 5_LI.jpg
Inked68 4_LI.jpg
InkedInked68 5_cu_LI.jpg
68.jpg
68 2.jpg
68 3.jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 1968-D Cent - A little help - Attached links to sites I researched

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Die markers must match exactly for the indicated variety
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

JonC
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by JonC »

Absolutely agree. And I understand that concept. And in closely analyzing the coin with 10 X magnifier and then and only then USB the photos in 1968-D DDO-002, 2-O-II-E Stage B in Variety Vista are a match. Die Chip on Upper Right Cornice, Die Scratch East from O of ONE, Die Crack on Column #12, Date and Mintmark, Date, LIBERTY and others along with the eye and mintmark positioning all match. Older coins I have found that you really have to look hard in some cases, however the die chip, east die scratches, the Liberty and date stand out. Others also do but you have to know hoe to look especially since it is more worn than I would like. All together I am sure it is the Stage B without question. I was just wondering about the die chip in the bay. I know things can happen with grease and stuff that gets in there accidently. I did not know if that had an impact on the coin even though it fits the Stage B in all areas. And if it would make a difference in later years. As you can tell I have learned a lot of terminology and am patient and careful in looking at things. I recognize stuff others post and think to myself I was there once. If you make it through the initial frustration and then just have fun with it it is a much better experience. I don't have anyone locally to ask and depend on you guys thoughts. I defiantly am not asking for a "yes that's it" because I know its hard to tell with pics. Just a little guidance from time to time when something brings itself to light so I can do the research. Again I appreciate all the knowledge you guys have shared. And last question. The Cherry Picking guide....is there a place to get that without spending hundreds of dollars. Thanks again

Paul

#4 Unread post by Paul »

Keep in mind that you do not need to purchase "Brand-New" volumes.....

I usually purchase all my reference material at online auction sites for relatively cheap..
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

JonC
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by JonC »

Which sites do you use?

Paul

#6 Unread post by Paul »

You need to search across all of them, and pick the cheapest
These users thanked the author Paul for the post:
JonC
Rating: 3.03%

Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

JonC
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by JonC »

The area in the memorial bay has been identified as a die clash. It is the remnants from the front neck area of Lincoln's profile. Just FYI.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

Your coin must be identified as a doubled die before looking for die markers. Die markers don't mean the coin is a doubled die.

JonC
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by JonC »

Understand. Here are the best pics I can do for now. It is an older coin and pictures are hard because of the pixels. Its also circulated and one has to look to identify areas as some can be worn away. This is what I have been learning. I marked areas that are the easiest to match through computer photos. They are matched to the Variety Vista Pictures. When I said an attributer identified the die clash I was just letting you guys know as I thought it was interesting. And they were helping me learn while not pointing out areas and letting me find them. With the die clash they helped me by pointing out where it was, what it was and and how this occurred. But I still had to do some of my own work to verify the other parts of the coin as a DDO. This was so I could learn and develop a skill. I understand there is a process. I was just letting you guys know that I found something interesting and was getting help identifying other areas of the coin so I could learn and not blast you guys with stuff that is not there. Attached are the pictures with some areas I identified. The rest is there but like I said its a circulated coin.
Attachments
Inked68 4_LI 3.jpg
Inked68 4_LI2.jpg
Inked68 21_LI.jpg
Inked68 d liberty 1_LI2.jpg
InkedInked68 5_cu_LI.jpg

JonC
Coin Collector

#10 Unread post by JonC »

Last pictures
Attachments
68 36.jpg
68 d date.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

Die marks doesn’t make a coin a doubled die, the die itself was created with a doubled design and despite the markers I don’t see a doubled die here.