1890-CC VAM-4 Tailbar

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
claudewill1
Coin Wizz

1890-CC VAM-4 Tailbar

#1 Unread post by claudewill1 »

I believe I found an 1890CC VAM4.
20211016_163720.jpg
20211016_163727.jpg
20211016_163731.jpg
Last edited by claudewill1 on Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 1890-CC VAM-3 Tailbar

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Did you mean 1890-CC VAM-4 Far Date, Tailbar Die gouge ?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

claudewill1
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by claudewill1 »

Yes I did, I typed the wrong number.

I'm slowly starting to move into things other than Wheat/Memorial Cents.

claudewill1
Coin Wizz

Re: 1890-CC VAM-4 Tailbar

#4 Unread post by claudewill1 »

Got the results in from ANACS, "VAM-4 TAILBAR TOP 100 RIM BUMPS - CLEANED."

I had a feeling it would get a details grade, I really wanted to verify the VAM and make sure the coin was real. I always wonder if certain raw coins I get off eBay might be counterfeit.

It's for my personal collection, also, there were a few other things I wanted to send, but don't need in a PCGS or NGC holder.

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey Claude, if you just wanted to confirm the VAM you could have gone to CONECA, less expensive and takes less time. If the VAM is confirmed, well then it is genuine. As far as being cleaned, this past January in the CONECA Error Scope magazine there was an article about sending "details" coins for encapsulation, some interesting thoughts there. Also Daniel has a collectors view on this, and in a video he explains why he feels it is a good thing to do. Hmmm sounds like there is an article in there for me. Anyway, to save some money, maybe you can knock on Paul's door, if he answers tell him The Coin Mule sent you 😎

Oh yeah, cool coin cleaned or not. Now one thing I learned from Daniel is "almost all Morgans are VAMS" so he only attributes TOP 100, etc. These have the greatest returns. Me, I don't care, I still have VAM fever, much to Mrs. Mules chagrin, she says, and I quote, "how is it that every day you cut your losers short, and let your winners ride, but you will OOOOverpay for some coins", I say, it's the chase, finding them in the wilderness, then hanging the obverse on the wall, what a rush 😆

One more thing, join CONECA it's inexpensive enough, and it knocks the expense down, you also will be supporting some really good folks in the industry, and Paul. 😉
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

claudewill1 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:41 am Got the results in from ANACS, "VAM-4 TAILBAR TOP 100 RIM BUMPS - CLEANED."

I had a feeling it would get a details grade, I really wanted to verify the VAM and make sure the coin was real. I always wonder if certain raw coins I get off eBay might be counterfeit.

It's for my personal collection, also, there were a few other things I wanted to send, but don't need in a PCGS or NGC holder.
claudewill1 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:02 pm Yes I did, I typed the wrong number.

I'm slowly starting to move into things other than Wheat/Memorial Cents.
First - If you enjoy collecting slabbed coins, then know I am not trying to discourage you from collecting slabs.

I can tell you though that even studying fake coins and learning to ID them yourself can be a fun part of the hobby...and is not difficult. I have identified an awful lot of fake coins in the past and enjoy seeing the progression of modern fakers fom terrible to better (though I wish they would stop!)

Cast coins are easy when you know what to look for. Weight can be made the same, but in order to do it, the fakes generally are thicker or thinner (different metals have different weight by unit size).

I found even the famous Omega gold coins that fooled everyone in the 70s (including the companies) can be discerned with the techniques available to anyone with a computer today. Transparent graphic overlays and something I call a line drawing comparison show them fake.

I also bought quite a few for dirt cheap when the market started to explode with them (and eBay was allowing it - 2011). Some in hand gave a really good idea of what to look for. To offset the idea I was paying the fakers for their product, I studied them and posted comparisons on the coin forum I was one back then (and still am). I also make it a point to try to help people ID their fakes and have been able to do so and save people from being fooled.

Grading companies have no magic they use for their services, they have simply accumulated knowledge* and then used it to teach their people. Ron Guth was a former PCGS president and although not a direct quote (I don't have it memorized!), he made a statement that anyone can learn to grade coins, it just takes experience looking at hundreds of them.

Just a thought for saving more money to buy coins with instead of paying someone else for what any avid coin collector can do for themselves.

*though even avid followers of PCGS etc. will tell you they have a bad record of attributing varieties other than the most famous such as a 55 DDO cent. I had one avid fan try to tell me it was because the graders only grade and then they hand it off to just one individual for variety attribution. When I asked for documentation of this idea, he had none. It is not mentioned anywhere on the PCGS website either.
So it seems instead that looking at their record of variety attribution just reveals one of (several) of the holes in their (what they hope people will believe is perfect) armor.
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post:
claudewill1
Rating: 3.03%

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

claudewill1
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by claudewill1 »

With this particular coin, I already knew the VAM and had an idea of the grade range outside of the fact it was a problem coin, I just wanted it in an ANACS holder. I was able to determine the VAM just by looking at the eBay photos and it wasn't being sold as one. I know some people may be against sending stuff of to a tpg service, which is fine, however, I just enjoy collecting slabbed coins.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

Then go for it! They make for a nice looking collection and a hobby is about fun and what you enjoy 😊
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post:
claudewill1
Rating: 3.03%

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

claudewill1
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by claudewill1 »

One thing I like about ANACS model is even though a coin is details, they still put what it would be number wise if it weren't for the damage. I think I put the coin in a VG8 to maybe F12 as far as details, ANACS put it at 15. I didn't see the numeric part until I got it back.

I wish ANACS would get more recognition as they have been around the longest as far as grading companies go.