2004 D Wisconsin Coller Error ? I give up

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Justice41ca
Coinasieur

2004 D Wisconsin Coller Error ? I give up

#1 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Hello and thank you for the offer to help. I had a great email all written out and I hit save draft and now can't fine it. Anyway I am finely getting the time to start handling all these coins. I can't find anything like it so far. Let me say I am new to the pics so if you need me to do something let me know. You can't tell because of the color of the coin (Why is it this color I see others the same color) It is level and then the field (I think it is called) is deep. The pic makes it look like it is curved it is not. I am not going to explain it as good as I did in the draft. (If you could find you can read LOL) I will say that it is the strongest detail coin I have seen in the state quarters at least on the front. Oh and it weighs 5.43 but my scale is a little off sometimes looking for another.
Sorry this is to the point but I am in a hurry now as I have spent 2 hours trying to get this post... Most time spent on first email.
Attachments
side
side
back
back
back
back
back
back
Front
Front
Jeanne

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 2004 D Wisconsin Coller Error ? I give up

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Welcome

Are you able to post full coin images of the front and back please?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

As per forum rules, we need what Paul has already asked you for. Thanks :)
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post:
Justice41ca
Rating: 3.03%

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Paul wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:03 pm Welcome

Are you able to post full coin images of the front and back please?
I got a 7 in microscope it said it would but it won't. It won't go high enough but I was thinking that I can unhook from the stand and hold it still. I will try that. I have a better one ordered but it won't come until next Tuesday.
I want to thank you for the quick reply I wasn't expecting until tomorrow. I really thank you all for what you do. The nearest coin dealer near me is by appt only and charges $250 if you leave without them buying anything. I don't feel comfortable feeling pressure to see what he might want. I could be wrong but I am learning.
Jeanne

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

Try placing the scope and the stand on a stack of books....

So you're saying that your dealer "Charges" you a fee when you come to see them?
These users thanked the author Paul for the post:
Justice41ca

C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

finalfantasy
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by finalfantasy »

Paul wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:58 pm Try placing the scope and the stand on a stack of books....

So you're saying that your dealer "Charges" you a fee when you come to see them?
You should ask him if his/her name is PCGS or NGC :D

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

$250 appraisal fee if they don't buy any coins they appraise.
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post:
Justice41ca

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#8 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Yes! He charges. I didn't get to send my first message as I lost it. It explained why I can't let a different coin go. It was 15-25 years ago I can't remember but it was 4th of July weekend. The liquor store owner asked for exact change. Will my purse was always full I got down to the 3 cents and pulled out 3 penny's. My eyesight was a lot better back then... I said wow this one is deformed. I looked at it and it made me think I had to much to drink because I was seeing double one the date. The man took my change and when I got home told my Dad cause he really liked coins. He listened and didn't say a word. Not two long after I go over to my dads and he hands me a newspaper on the page is a picture of my penny. I wanted to die.... It was several years later before I could spend any change. True sorry. So now I not only have what I refuse to spend but my Dad left me his coins. I just now have had the time to start going through everything. I had to buy the equipment and supplies. I am trying to learn but it seems like the more I learn the more I am confused....LOL If these are what you need I will send when I get my new mircoscope Did I ask why some coins are this color I seen a few. And have a few. OH NO I have to go to the other area to upload pics.
Jeanne

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#9 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Here are what I have
Attachments
Front
Front
Back
Back
Back
Back
Jeanne

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#10 Unread post by Iceresistance »

Someone sandpapered the reverse!

There is are 2 Errors on the 2004-D Wisconsin Quarters (Extra Leaf High & Low), but this one does not feature it.
These users thanked the author Iceresistance for the post:
Justice41ca

You are never too old to learn something new

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#11 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Iceresistance wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:08 pm Someone sandpapered the reverse!

There is are 2 Errors on the 2004-D Wisconsin Quarters (Extra Leaf High & Low), but this one does not feature it.
I agree it looks like that in the pics. It might be. But what concern me it when I look under the 20x there is no break in the medal. If that's what happened they did a perfect job.
The book I am reading and I have heard Daniel say it also... Don't just look for the errors already known look for ones not found yet. I had this in storage from when I was collecting state quarters for my complete collection I didn't even see this until a few days ago when I was picking out the best for my holder.....
Thank you. for taking the time to answer me .....
Jeanne

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Earle42 »

The book I am reading and I have heard Daniel say it also... Don't just look for the errors already known look for ones not found yet.
I would put that book away (file 13).

Step back a minute. Think this over.

The book is telling you to identify new errors without FIRST advising you to know what a actual error looks like/really is?!

Book's author: Let's all go shoot a wateroserous.
Hunters: What does one look like?
Book's author: Why do you need to know what one looks like...just shoot one when you see it!

Too many people fall into this trap. They take the time to get pictures, post on a forum, and over and over again are told they have a damaged coin. Disappointment overtakes those people who give up and miss what could have been a fun time form being misdirected at the start

As for Daniel saying to look for unknown errors? I think you might have heard something not in context.

I have posted the following many times here helping people to get on the right track. Following this pathway will soon have you knowing what you have and enjoying the hunt rather than being discouraged by yet another face value coin:

Save Yourself time, effort, and disappointment...don’t learn the coin hobby backwards. 😊

Looking for random anomalies on coins and hoping they match up to something collectable will take you a lot more time, wasted effort, and disappointment repeatedly finding out you have nothing but post mint damage.

Spend some initial time at places like error-ref.com, doubleddie.com, varietyvista.com, conecaonline.org, coppercoins.com etc. to find what actual and collectable coin errors look like.

A good way to start is, for instance, separate a bunch of pennies by date. Go to varietyvista.com and, date by date, use the reference there to see what errors are known for that specific coin/mint mark. Look for those specific errors/varieties using the pictures provided. After doing this for awhile you will KNOW what an actual error looks like and not have to waste time on face value and damaged coins.😊
Justice41ca

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#13 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Earle42 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:20 pm
The book I am reading and I have heard Daniel say it also... Don't just look for the errors already known look for ones not found yet.

The book is telling you to identify new errors without FIRST advising you to know what a actual error looks like/really is?!

Book's author: Why do you need to know what one looks like...just shoot one when you see it!

Too many people fall into this trap. They take the time to get pictures, post on a forum, and over and over again are told they have a damaged coin. Disappointment overtakes those people who give up and miss what could have been a fun time form being misdirected at the start

As for Daniel saying to look for unknown errors? I think you might have heard something not in context.

I have posted the following many times here helping people to get on the right track. Following this pathway will soon have you knowing what you have and enjoying the hunt rather than being discouraged by yet another face value coin:

Save Yourself time, effort, and disappointment...don’t learn the coin hobby backwards. 😊

Looking for random anomalies on coins and hoping they match up to something collectable will take you a lot more time, wasted effort, and disappointment repeatedly finding out you have nothing but post mint damage.

Spend some initial time at places like error-ref.com, doubleddie.com, varietyvista.com, conecaonline.org, coppercoins.com etc. to find what actual and collectable coin errors look like.

A good way to start is, for instance, separate a bunch of pennies by date. Go to varietyvista.com and, date by date, use the reference there to see what errors are known for that specific coin/mint mark. Look for those specific errors/varieties using the pictures provided. After doing this for awhile you will KNOW what an actual error looks like and not have to waste time on face value and damaged coins.😊
Thank you for giving me the information and sites to visit. I will check them out. Just so you know this was in a group of state quarters I had and was going over to see which to keep and which to turn in. I saw this and needed to ask. Once out of ignorance you spend a very valuable coin you take caution when you see something different. I learned my lesson. I don't have a coin shop nearby the one that was went out of business. When my Dad left me his coins that is where I went. The only other one is in Riverside you have to make an appointment and even if your main question is .... Is this coin real? You have to pay $250 just for seeing the guy. If he doesn't buy what you have because he doesn't want to or you don't want to sell. $250 no exceptions.
So I was glad I found Daniel and this site. I appreciate all of you. Just so you know I am not an error seeker, but don't ever want to spend a valuable coin again.... LOL Again thank you so very much for all your help and advice.
Jeanne

thairunts
Coinasieur

#14 Unread post by thairunts »

I've never seen a coin shop that required a fee for questions / simple appraisals. If you want someone to look through dozens/hundreds/thousands of coins to document for insurance - sure... Anyway, my red flags are popping up all over - don't think I'd be going to that guy.
These users thanked the author thairunts for the post:
Justice41ca

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

I've never told people to look for unknown errors, I have always been the opposite of that. I encourage people to look for KNOWN errors and varieties.

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#16 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Daniel wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:21 pm I've never told people to look for unknown errors, I have always been the opposite of that. I encourage people to look for KNOWN errors and varieties.
I must of misunderstood you.... so very sorry. I thought you made the second one (I feel has deep knowledge) to say it so I stopped and slowed down. After one of the guys told me I misunderstood or took out of context what you might have said. I took it for the truth and am back to making the job a little faster.
You have to forgive me I am not a coin collector after the DDO experience yes I pay attention. The coins my Dad left me I know he did so I would gain knowledge. When I first got them I put them away bought a few books and kept an eye open. That was years ago. Now getting close to retiring it has been something I have pulled out again.
Bought more books to be honest it's hard. If I am really honest I will say that I don't find it very fun sitting here for long hours. I am trying though.
He had so many silver and older coins and yes penny's. I am afraid of making another major mistake. I do research but when you don't know what your looking at it is easy to make a mistake.
Got a good one for you. I put a coin in the foreign or unknown token etc. storage area.
I was looking through Heritage for something else and I saw what looked like what I had. From everything I looked up it is.... It's a 1907s US Philippines - Reason I thought it wasn't a coin is because it said ONE PESO on front and United States of America on the Back. So it is very easy for me to make a mistake. I have other coins I am researching also. Like a 1883 Liberty nickel with no cents. 1865 III cents. Because my Dad had these I have to pay special attention. He knew what he was doing. I definitely don't.
All I was doing was collecting all 50 states that coin was in my stuff.
The reason I gravitated to you is your honesty you tell it like it is on your videos. Yes I am one of those that think these should be pretty... I watched your video on conserving or cleaning. Made me think again about if they should look pretty lol.
Well that's a little background on me fellows. Oh and I have a Franklin that has the proof style reverse still researching. LOL
I know it must make you guys crazy with all the misleading information out there.
I have taken up enough of your time. Once I feel that I have researched and feel like I have an idea of what I have I will post and ask your advice. Of course I will take it.... have a good night and again sorry.
Jeanne

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#17 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Earle42 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:20 pm

Thank you and I also applied this advice to going through these old coins. It is going a lot better. I found a 1955 s Lincoln UNC 60 (it's on the package) when verifying the date something about the S looks weird so I will go check it out on the sites you gave me and let you know if I come up with anything. First I am just separating everything by kind, then date. My Dad loved Silver, old coins and those from the WWII, plus apparently penny's. So it was making me crazy until I applied what you advised separating first then I will hit one at a time to inventory and assess what is here. Thanks again have a good night
Jeanne

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Earle42 »

Glad to have helped. It might actually become fun now b/c you have a guide to know what to hunt for by date and MM.
Justice41ca