Lincoln cent 1972 with extra letter

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
excoin
Coin Collector

Lincoln cent 1972 with extra letter

#1 Unread post by excoin »

Hello guys,

I spotted a remnant of an extra letter S on the obverse of this 1972 coin. How wrong can I be?...

Before the year is over I wish that I enter ONE post that doesn´t make me a complete fool.

Dutch greetz from Eva
Attachments
DSCN9259 1972 extra s.jpg
1972 extra S close.JPG
These users thanked the author excoin for the post (total 2):
richard560729, Justice41ca
Rating: 6.06%

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lincoln cent 1972 with extra letter

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

We need better images to see what is going on, when you click on the images it's even more blurry. Try different angles as well.

My recommendations is to look for varieties that are well known. Here, we don't attribute discovery coins, that's what the experts at CONECA's website do, but that is a near impossible market to crack. You really need to know your stuff to jump into that "pool", so to speak.
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post:
richard560729
Rating: 3.03%

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

Pareidolia
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

Before the year is over I wish that I enter ONE post that doesn´t make me a complete fool.
Consider this...how many fools actually take the time to want to learn anything?

Well...that puts you above their ranks!😊

Teaching is our goal. No teacher worth their title ever expected their students to know everything before teaching them.

And your extra S is just the result of pareidolia.

Watch these short videos as a way of understanding nothing in the minting process would allow for that extra S. Specifically pay attention when they are making the dies. Then ask yourself where in the process would there be room for an extra letter to be made (hint...there isn't!)

How Coins (and errors) Are Made
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

Consider researching "Dropped Letter"
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

My original thought also, but then I saw the "S" is smaller than the other S on the front as well as it looks to be a raised mark (not incuse like a dropped letter). I saw your post saying pareidolia and so assumed you had come to the same conclusion.

Excoin - is this S-looking mark raised or incuse on the surface?

If this mark is incuse (unlike the picture makes it look on my screen), that mark does resemble the same size/font as the S from PLURIBUS on the REV.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

excoin
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by excoin »

Thank U all!

Earle, the mark is raised.

But about being a pareidolia± I made a transparant trace/layer of the S from trust and it fits perfectly.

But I will make some more pics and if those show worldshocking differences, I let you know.

I will be back!