1969 25 Cents new varieties

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
goodman212
Coining Around

1969 25 Cents new varieties

#1 Unread post by goodman212 »

I hope this coin has varieties that are interesting. Washington quarter with errors
On reverse have only two claws on the left paw instead of three.
The second - is the line above the words United States of America.
It looks cool!
Thanks in In advance.
Attachments
IMG_0563.jpg
IMG_0562.jpg
These users thanked the author goodman212 for the post:
Justice41ca
Rating: 3.03%

goodman212
Coining Around

Re: 1969 25 Cents new varieties

#2 Unread post by goodman212 »

Sorry it is 1997 25 cents !

USSID18

#3 Unread post by USSID18 »

Let's start at the beginning. Claws, Paw on an American Bald Eagle? But I see your point. Looks like normal circulation wear that damaged the eagle's talon.

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey G, one of the hardest things to do is confirm even existing Varieties etc. from pics, especially from a circulated coin. Some VAMs on Morgans have markers you can match up, but they really can't be verified unless in hand. For a new Variety, it really needs to be sent to out to be attributed. I hope for you it is, nothin cooler than finding something new. 😁
These users thanked the author Coin Mule for the post (total 3):
Justice41ca, goodman212, CoinPyro
Rating: 9.09%

The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

Save Yourself time, effort, and disappointment...don’t learn the coin hobby backwards. 😊

Looking for random anomalies on coins and hoping they match up to something collectable will take you a lot more time, wasted effort, and disappointment repeatedly finding out you have nothing but post mint damage.

Spend some initial time at places like error-ref.com, doubleddie.com, varietyvista.com, conecaonline.org, coppercoins.com etc. to find what actual and collectable coin errors look like.

A good way to start is, for instance, separate a bunch of pennies by date. Go to varietyvista.com and, date by date, use the reference there to see what errors are known for that specific coin/mint mark. Look for those specific errors/varieties using the pictures provided. After doing this for awhile you will KNOW what an actual error looks like and not have to waste time on face value and damaged coins.😊
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post (total 2):
CoinPyro, goodman212
Rating: 6.06%

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

goodman212
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by goodman212 »

Thank you very much for your help. I am not looking for varieties on coins, no knowledge. This is not my hobby.
short story: 5 years ago I received a small collection of coins from my relative who died. He collected engravings, old books, stamps, coins ... I got coins ... I did not understand anything about this. I put it aside just as a memory ...
A month ago, I took it out of the closet and began to search for information on the Internet. I realized that I cannot such a volume of information, and in order to contact a dealer or send for an examination, I need to understand whether it is worth spending money or is it not worth it. And let it remain as a memory of a good man. Therefore, my nickname. And if I get some money, I’ll give it to the widow. She was left alone, they had no children.
I saw Daniel's information about the forum and decided to ask for help. He was persuasive and benevolent.
Some coins have stickers - "rarity" or "unique".
The coin shown has a sticker with two claws and a question mark. Eyesight test : Please tell me how many claws do you see?
And I also don't see any damage on the coin.
Attachments
IMG_0562 (1).jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

You said:
I did not understand anything about this.
I realized that I cannot such a volume of information,
I therefore assume you do understand the people here are well versed in coins and the coin hobby b/c you came here seeking answers.

While we both could spend hours with your posting coins and then us answering for each one, this forum is not designed to work that way b/c the people here are not paid to sit and just type in answers all day (no internet forum works this way). Our members are people who give of their own time freely. So this forum is about teaching people who come here what they need to know to identify what they have.

By taking our advice (and links and learning) will save YOU time in the long run also. For example, this coin you posted is damaged (I will get to that in specifics). If you had 20 more coins that are damaged and were to want to post questions about each one, think of all the time taking pictures, etc. it will cost you. But if you understand how to identify damage on coins, you would see it for yourself immediately and not have to spend any time on those coins.

As to your coin and your not seeing damage:
1. Understanding how coins are minted and struck from dies, will tell you that normally it is impossible for the actual design elements on 1997 P quarters to differ seeing as they are made form the same master die that puts the design on them.

2. Every so often, it is discovered the mint made an error with that die. These errors are known and listed by denomination, date, and mint mark on the site I mentioned (varietyvista.com). Going there to check to see if what you believe is a wrong number of claws is on that site will let you know one of the following:
a. If you find an exact match, you have an error coin.
b. If you find no match, then you have a coin that has been altered outside of the mint (accidentally or deliberately) and is not a mint error, therefore not a collectable or valuable coin worth anything more than face value.

Please view the following short videos about how coins are made - this will allow you to be able to make better judgement calls on coins like yours:

How Coins & Errors are made:
How Coins (and errors) Are Made

The damage on your coin is not obvious to a person new to coins, but this coin is easily seen as a badly beat up coin (from circulation) to people in the hobby.
Compare the following picture of a mint state coin to yours:
1964_MS_PCGS.jpg
Look at the tiny details, for example, on the letters of your coin (as well as the eagle, George Washington, etc.). There are tiny scratches as well as minute pits and dings from the coin being banged around in circulation. You see very few on the picture I posted for a comparison of a quarter in what is considered mint state.

The damage to the claw area is what makes it look, to you, not being used to seeing this type of thing all the time, as well as being someone not previously aware of all of the above verifiable information, think they have some sort of mint error.

Please do take the time to review those short, but interesting, videos. Also please use the varietyvista.com reference to try to match what you think you see with a known error.
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post (total 2):
CoinPyro, goodman212
Rating: 6.06%

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

goodman212
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by goodman212 »

Thanks a lot !!!!!

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by Coin Mule »

"this forum is not designed to work that way b/c the people here are not paid to sit and just type in answers all day"

Hey E, I don't know about you but I just got Daniels check in the mail. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 (joke)
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

😂😂

goodman212
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by goodman212 »

So all needs to be known in advance: the question of money?

JTCC
Coin Guru

#12 Unread post by JTCC »

goodman212 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:07 pm So all needs to be known in advance: the question of money?
Nah, we don’t need to get paid. As long as you’re willing to post your coins by the forum rules, at least me would be happy to take a look at them.
U.S. cent lover!

goodman212
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by goodman212 »

Sorry, that was a clumsy joke in response to a joke.

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#14 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey G, the attribution process with CONECA is reasonably priced and really necessary to confirm a new variety. In fact, someone correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember one of our members found a new new variety "salt river" quarter and shared their journey to attribution with us.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10

JTCC
Coin Guru

#15 Unread post by JTCC »

goodman212 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:50 am Sorry, that was a clumsy joke in response to a joke.
Oh, ok.
U.S. cent lover!

goodman212
Coining Around

#16 Unread post by goodman212 »

Coin Mule wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:59 pm Hey G, the attribution process with CONECA is reasonably priced and really necessary to confirm a new variety. In fact, someone correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember one of our members found a new new variety "salt river" quarter and shared their journey to attribution with us.
Thank you! Very interesting.
I am not suggesting that this is a new variety. I'm not that idiot. Honestly confessed knowledge of the subject 0!

But it is interesting to know the opinions of different people. Therefore, I chose the forum as a way at the beginning as I understand the long journey to numismatics.
These users thanked the author goodman212 for the post:
Earle42

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by Earle42 »

Just use the technique suggested in my last post and you will soon know what you are looking for.

Please also know, for future posts, this forum is about educating people, so members are told not to give answers to posts requesting us to try to find and identify possible errors on a coin.

We are more than happy to verify something you think you see, which means the person posting needs to use those websites mentioned before, trying to find a match for your coin, and then we can help verify if you are right or we can tell you what else it might be.😊
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post:
goodman212

goodman212
Coining Around

#18 Unread post by goodman212 »

Thank you. I realized that I need to make a mathematical model based on the complex theory of mathematical identities, then it will be easier to find similarities.
Simply put, something like a face recognition program.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by Earle42 »

That would be nice if someone would make it!