1968-D unidentified DDO

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
TomekD
Coin Wizz

1968-D unidentified DDO

#1 Unread post by TomekD »

I have this 1968-D half and I'm sure it's a die variety. The only visibly doubled spots I found are on WE TRUST (sorry for the photo quality - the split bottom serif on the S is still quite visible though). Here's the question, which one is it? The closest match would be the TDO FS-101 but I'm not sure. Any opinions?
Attachments
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image4.jpeg

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: 1968-D unidentified DDO

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Based on the Photo's ,I don't see any doubling . Try this for better Pics .
Attachments
phone pic.jpg
These users thanked the author SensibleSal66 for the post:
Coin Mule
Rating: 3.03%

Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

TomekD
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by TomekD »

Man, I knew I was going to receive this info. I'll do my best when I'll be able to!

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey Sal, your representation of a can is sublime, better that anything Andy Warhol ever did
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

What letters are you specifically seeing the doubling on? I cannot see any, but it could be the lighting and pics.

Sal's setup for taking pics works very well. Set the timer of the phone to take the pic to eliminate movement from your finger touching the phone.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

TomekD
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by TomekD »

Alright, I got some better photos. Hope they'll be enough!
Attachments
IMG_8236.JPG
IMG_8237.JPG

CoinPyro
Coinasieur

#7 Unread post by CoinPyro »

TomekD wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:16 pm Alright, I got some better photos. Hope they'll be enough!
These pics are much better. I can absolutely see what you're talking about on the coin now.

It's looking to me like your DDO HAS already been found, and if so likely one of these two on Variety Vista. Try to get your date from a couple different lighting angles and see if you can identify any doubling/tripling, especially in the bottom of the '8' on 1968. I highly recommend consulting Variety Vista and reading through not just the Double Die sections, but also how they happen to get a better understanding of what you're looking at. I'm brand new to the hobby myself but these resources have helped me tremendously and saved a lot of grief. 🙂

http://varietyvista.com/12%20Kennedy%20 ... DDO001.htm
http://varietyvista.com/12%20Kennedy%20 ... DDO003.htm

TomekD
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by TomekD »

CoinPyro wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:17 pm
TomekD wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:16 pm Alright, I got some better photos. Hope they'll be enough!
These pics are much better. I can absolutely see what you're talking about on the coin now.

It's looking to me like your DDO HAS already been found, and if so likely one of these two on Variety Vista. Try to get your date from a couple different lighting angles and see if you can identify any doubling/tripling, especially in the bottom of the '8' on 1968. I highly recommend consulting Variety Vista and reading through not just the Double Die sections, but also how they happen to get a better understanding of what you're looking at. I'm brand new to the hobby myself but these resources have helped me tremendously and saved a lot of grief. 🙂

http://varietyvista.com/12%20Kennedy%20 ... DDO001.htm
http://varietyvista.com/12%20Kennedy%20 ... DDO003.htm
I've looked at variety vista before making this thread and at that time no posts there were a match (I was able to notice less splits with the equipment I initially used) - right now it definitely resembles the TDO. Thanks anyway! :)
These users thanked the author TomekD for the post:
CoinPyro

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

Your last pics are much improved. I annotated your last pic to show you what I *think* I can see in the picture.

The text and arrows are color coded. Some of the details you have circled in the other photo are hard to see as well.

I think you have both a DDO and MD as well. But am not sure which DDO.
1968_DDO_MD.jpg
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

TomekD
Coin Wizz

#10 Unread post by TomekD »

Earle42 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:32 pm I annotated your last pic to show you what I *think* I can see in the picture.

The text and arrows are color coded. Some of the details you have circled in the other photo are hard to see as well.
1968_DDO_MD.jpg
Ok, thanks! What about the other areas I marked (the serifs on the U and so on)? Do you think they are doubled too? They look so to me but I still want to ask someone who knows more than me...

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Earle42 »

The problem is I thought I could see hint of doubling in some of those areas, but the lighting is hiding them in the pics. I used to roll search specifically for DDOs, DDRs, ROMs, errors etc. on Kennedy halves (over 189,000). So I saw a lot of the minor DDOs, and used to set them all aside. I just never got around to labeling them with exact varieties. I was too interested in "just one more roll!"

If you want to get some pics with different lighting angles, they might show better. And while these last pictures are much better, you can get a very inexpensive macro lens for your phone or lust use a loupe beneath the lens.

Or for very high power - my home made junky scrap-made solution I used to us. It can get better pics than my actual dissecting microscope:

I used to use the lens from a laser pointer (mounted it so I could strap it onto the lens) and got pics like this:
1964 DDO Kennedy Half ... splits on serifs on U in TRUST
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
Ugly, and dirt cheap macro (providing you can find one of the older laser pointers - check a dollar store)
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
Scrap plastic and lens broken out of laser pointer:
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
Ugly plastic electirc taped to back of iPhone 42
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
Old CD for stage to hold phone up off surface. Water bottle caps for legs supports for CD.
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
iPhone with macro in situ on top of water-bottle-cap-supported CD.
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
2X2 can slide under CD to help position coin under lens.
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post (total 2):
Daniel, JTCC
Rating: 6.06%

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#12 Unread post by Paul »

It's a "LeeGyver"....... Awesome
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Earle42 »

😂😂😂

I grew up with two sets of grandparents who lived through the 1st Great Depression (obama's being the legit second one). So finding a way to do a job rather than spending money was ingrained into me from the time I was small. But it was always presented like a game and a challenge - so it was fun.

Once I saw the concept worked, I changed the setup to be a bit better with scrap wood, a 1.00 iPhone mount, a couple of bolts, and a crystal-looking adjustment knob from a...well...a plastic deodorant dispenser😂:
Iphone_Platform copy.jpg
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post (total 2):
JTCC, Paul
Rating: 6.06%

JTCC
Coin Guru

#14 Unread post by JTCC »

Earle42 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:32 pm 😂😂😂

I grew up with two sets of grandparents who lived through the 1st Great Depression (obama's being the legit second one). So finding a way to do a job rather than spending money was ingrained into me from the time I was small. But it was always presented like a game and a challenge - so it was fun.

Once I saw the concept worked, I changed the setup to be a bit better with scrap wood, a 1.00 iPhone mount, a couple of bolts, and a crystal-looking adjustment knob from a...well...a plastic deodorant dispenser😂:

Iphone_Platform copy.jpg
Those are some good DIY work and ideas right there, creative!
These users thanked the author JTCC for the post:
Earle42

U.S. cent lover!