2021 P Lincoln Cent Obverse Strike Through, Defective Planchet or Damaged?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Kaye
Coining Around

2021 P Lincoln Cent Obverse Strike Through, Defective Planchet or Damaged?

#1 Unread post by Kaye »

I found this searching BU rolls from the bank. It at first appeared to be a gouge in the coin that pierced through to the zinc on one side. Then I saw that the zinc was molded to the hairlines and the letter G. I ran a toothpick over the zinc in the section that is flat and plain and it is smooth, except a very slight indent at the edges where the zinc and copper meet. Where the zinc ends and the gouge is only in copper, the depth on the copper side is greater. I have tried to make sense of this and am at a loss. If anyone could please explain how this happened, I would be so grateful
Attachments
ct1.jpg
ct2.jpg
ct3.jpg
ct4.jpg
ct5.jpg

DSCoins
Coin Guru

Re: 2021 P Lincoln Cent Obverse Strike Through, Defective Planchet or Damaged?

#2 Unread post by DSCoins »

It looks like someone damaged it, by taking something and scratching the coin. You can see the zinc where they scratched the copper plating away. PMD. JMO
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Looks like a scratch based on these images.

Kaye
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Kaye »

If it is a scratch, how is it that the zinc is molded to the hairlines and letter G? Also how would the copper only part be deeper than the zinc, and the zinc be level with the copper in the field?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

If it is not a scratch then why not send it to PCGS, NGC or ANACS under the mint error tier? If you don't agree with us, get a second opinion. Images are just that, 2D renditions and light reflections. Coins in general should really be seen in hand.
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post:
Coin Mule
Rating: 2.94%

Kaye
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by Kaye »

Actually, this is the third place I have come to and there is disagreement between you all. That is why I am asking questions and hope to get explanations from those much more knowledgeable than me. If my questions offended you, it was not my intention and I apologize.
These users thanked the author Kaye for the post:
Loopman

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

I am going to try my best to say this with as much respect as possible. Please don't bring up words like offended to me. I've built and ran this community since 2009 for the sole purpose of people asking questions, I would shut it down if questions offended me. However, you asked about your coin, received several opinions and there's nothing more to be said.
It's a 2D image, that is all. We can't explain to you, using images, why your coin looks the way it does to you in person. So you asked an impossible question. You've already heard this multiple times but continue to seek answers in the wrong places. Send your coin to someone to look at in hand, there's plenty of professionals and experts that offer that service. It's time for you to move to the next step in your quest for an answer.
No more can be said about your coin, topic is locked, further debate here is futile.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

Let me add to my previous post, since most people think I am being a douche, but I am not. I am serious here. Images are just for opinions, and SOMETIMES we can attribute. However, many times we cannot. Also, we experience people who are seeking answers all over the Internet, but most people in these communities and groups are not professionals let alone experts, they can't give you the answer you seek, also, groups are not for personal validation of what you think is going on with your coin.
Maybe find another cent and scrape an eye glass screwdriver across it and see if you can replicate something similar. I've don't plenty of videos on this and even created damaged coins to show how it happens.
I literally buy, sell, appraise coins and look at people's pocket change and mint errors for a living. I eat it, breath it and often sleep it. So when I tell you images are not good enough to give the answer you desire, trust me, you can take it to the bank. Does that mean I can't make a mistake? Nope, but most of the time I don't.
So you need to seek help with someone who can look at it in hand, it's obvious you're not finding the answers online, because you question everyone who disagrees with what you believe is going on with your coin. So we can't win, unless we tell you that you found something special, and I am not about to lie or appease someone so they're not upset at me or act like I am the one who is offended.
I've seen this so many times online of the last 2 decades that I can't count the times. I am a member of all the other online forums as well and I see the same coins making their rounds. Trust me. I really do live this.
So it's not arrogance or narcissism or anything like that, just plain old experience, day after day and year after year. Same coins, same reaction, just different names.
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post:
Paul