1888 O Morgan possible mint error or DDR

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
tomdepascale
Coin Collector

1888 O Morgan possible mint error or DDR

#1 Unread post by tomdepascale »

Hi everyone first time member. I am just starting out in enjoying coins. I have watched hours of you tube and do especially like Daniel's videos as he is calm and speaks to people like me who don't have a clue in plain understandable terms. So I have had several silver dollars since I was a kid (born in 55) no longer a kid.
I bought a usb microscope after watching you tube and took the attached pics of my 1888 O coin.
I have seen mechanical doubling on several coins penny, nickle ect., I have. This one I can't tell. It has some characteristics of doubled die but not sure, looked through the VAM pictures on the VAM World and do not see this, so I am guessing it must be something else, please help.
Attachments
PICA0030.jpg
PICA0051.jpg
PICA0050.jpg
PICA0049.jpg

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

Re: 1888 O Morgan possible mint error or DDR

#2 Unread post by Iceresistance »

Need to see full Obverse & Reverse photos, will let the experts see what VAM it is.
You are never too old to learn something new

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

Strike Doubling
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

tomdepascale
Coin Collector

#4 Unread post by tomdepascale »

Hi guys thanks for the quick review, I thought it might be but was not sure, much appreciated, nubee stuff I know but I am trying to learn and all the help is truly much appreciated. Tom

Clint W
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by Clint W »

from the photos, I can only assume machine doubling. The only one in question to me is the R.
USAF Retired 1995-2018
Fairly new to collecting

tomdepascale
Coin Collector

#6 Unread post by tomdepascale »

Thanks again for additional help. Why I sent it was that when I saw the trust letters up close it did not seem to have that shaved off flat shelf look I have seen on all the pennies I have seen so far. They seem to me to be round but still lower than the main letters so now, I guess that sharp cut look has just been worn down with time. I hoped for a different answer but again I defer to those who came before me. Thanks again for the follow up, Tom

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

We need images of the entire coin, it's very important to attributing VAMs, please go to vamworld.com again and look up 1880 O VAM 36.

tomdepascale
Coin Collector

#8 Unread post by tomdepascale »

I did the best I could with my Iphone on the full pics and took pics on the microscope of all the images on vam 36, Thanks for looking and compliments on your videos I subscribed a few weeks ago and actually bought a few proof sets from you for comparative analysis, great to know you, Tom
Attachments
IMG_7757.jpg
IMG_7764 (1).jpg
PICA0054.jpg
PICA0055.jpg
PICA0056.jpg
PICA0057.jpg
PICA0058.jpg

tomdepascale
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by tomdepascale »

I realize that whatever the coin has it is not going to be a real valuable coin but, could this be strike doubling on the TRUST and also VAM 36 on the ear, AMERICA and leaves? Again not trying to dispute findings just looking for calcification seems it matches at least three of the VAM 36 characteristics shown. Thank you for any response, Tom

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

I don't attribute varieties using images myself. I can't do the proper research do to time restraints. Vamworld does have a forum and that might be an option for you.

tomdepascale
Coin Collector

#11 Unread post by tomdepascale »

Thanks I'll give it a try, have a great weekend, Tom