2020 w Samoa error quarter?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
djddmd
Coining Around

2020 w Samoa error quarter?

#1 Unread post by djddmd »

Shows mechanical doubling on front and back with a gauge under right eye thats been filled back in any help would be great as I'm fairly new to errors. I guess my main question would be would be worth sending out the coin for the discovery? Thank you in advance and if you need any other pictures or information just let me know
Attachments
20210614_231729.jpg
20210614_231613.jpg
20210613_183759.jpg
20210613_183924.jpg
20210614_232030.jpg
20210614_231952.jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 2020 w Samoa error quarter?

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Welcome
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

Sorry, but your using such high magnification is leading you to find anomalies that are not worth anything extra. This high of a magnification is fun to play with, but leads to so many posts on coin forums like this one where we have to inform people they have found nothing of significance to the coin hobby. Imperfections abound and most actually collectable errors will be easily seen with 5X-10X of magnification.

Also the pictures you posted of your computer screen are blurring details when zoomed, so please post screenshots instead.

What doubling you are seeing is either machine doubling or die deterioration doubling, which are not collectable and add no value b/c both are common and not caused by a double engraving in the coin dies.

Spending some quality time at error-ref.com, concecaonline.org, varietyvists.com, and similar sites that show pictures of actual coin errors will help you learn how to distinguish actual and collectible errors.😊
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#4 Unread post by DSCoins »

As Earl has stated you are searching coins on to high a Magnification. This some thing many newer roll searchers get wrong. You don't need high magnification, as will see a bunch of garbage that is nothing and is worthless. The TPGs' use online 10X when grading and checking for varieties. If they can not see the Variety under 10X you won't get it. The gentleman who publish the Cherry Pickers Guide only use 7X. They out right said that if they can't see with 7X it doesn't make the book.
The sites that Earl gave you are really great sites to learn about Double Dies' along with the types of Doubled Dies'. Until you fully understand what is and isn't a Doubled Die, along with what errors can and can not happen to a coin at the mint. Until you understand all of it you should stick to using a 10X loop. Another thing that you should be doing this time is to search for known varieties. On PCGS site you will find the varieties that they recognize. Until than, you need should stick to a 10X loop, and good luck searching.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

djddmd
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by djddmd »

Thanks for your reply and knowledge I believe you about the doubling being mechanical or die deterioration i will post more clear shots when get a chance. I'm glad I got information on posting pictures i just used the the zoom to show area without realizing it was too much zoom also it a picture of a screen so quality suffers. I appreciate the help, so would the die gauge also be nothing? Also Thank you Paul for the welcome to the forums and Thanks DSCoins I will check that information as well

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Die deterioration. You will see al of common things that you don't understand when you use a microscope.
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post:
twiasp
Rating: 3.03%

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#7 Unread post by DSCoins »

Daniel wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:45 pm Die deterioration. You will see al of common things that you don't understand when you use a microscope.
I agree
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

USSID18

#8 Unread post by USSID18 »

It's worth more as a W, then any error we see.
Attachments
zzr4t.jpg
zzr4t.jpg (28.7 KiB) Viewed 744 times