, mistake or nintentional

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Pedwards65
Coining Around

, mistake or nintentional

#1 Unread post by Pedwards65 »

Is this a true error or has an employee of the mint gone rogue?? My true question is which company would be the best to grade this particular coin? I think I've heard Daniel say some companies specialize in certain things more than the next.
Attachments
Lincoln cents don't have ridges correct? So the dime is the host coin I'm guessing....
Lincoln cents don't have ridges correct? So the dime is the host coin I'm guessing....
20210704_044812.jpg
20210704_044745.jpg
20210704_044415.jpg
20210704_044344.jpg
20210704_044737.jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: , mistake or nintentional

#2 Unread post by Paul »

may I ask where you found this?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

Since the pictures seem to show details which do not belong there are correctly oriented and raised (eg. wording is not backwards), this does NOT appear to be a vice job, but a legit coin.

It may be nothing, but what I know the Chinese faked a Roosevelt dime punched on a nail and were selling them awhile ago. I saw them for sale online myself.

I am uncertain how a penny, being a larger die, would overstrike a minted dime and not flatten the dime's rim? And the penny impression is definitely over Roosevelt on the REV - so this appears to be a penny struck on top of a dime.

Someone with more experience needs to educate me on this. I hope the coin is a real error.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Pedwards65
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Pedwards65 »

You have a good point. That's why I said it may be an on purpose job. Definitely raised. This was in my Dad's collection. He's passed on and I now have control. I've been around collecting since I was little but I've never actively taken part until he died. I know a lot but obviously not enough. Thanks for even replying to me anyway. Don't want to bother you but any input is appreciated. I have to deal with a 1975 No S Roosevelt carefully now. Seems to be very popular but looks like a regular proof dime to me. Know anything about this?? Won't bother you though. Thanks again

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

You may have something here......

Are you able to get an accurate weight?
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

I think this is a candidate for sending to a reputable third party to be authenticated and properly attributed.
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post:
Pedwards65
Rating: 3.03%

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

... I have to deal with a 1975 No S Roosevelt carefully now. Seems to be very popular but looks like a regular proof dime to me. Know anything about this?? Won't bother you though. Thanks again
No bother...it is what we are here for 😊

Just please make a new thread for each coin you want help with.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

you might want to get this professionally authenticated and graded, as it looks like a cent struck on an already struck Roosevelt dime

Pedwards65
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by Pedwards65 »

Yes I sent both coins off to Anacs. The double denom came back MS60. I'll sell it. It's on its way to auction tomorrow

Paul

#10 Unread post by Paul »

Pedwards65 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:56 pm Yes I sent both coins off to Anacs. The double denom came back MS60. I'll sell it. It's on its way to auction tomorrow
👍
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

Pedwards65 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:56 pm Yes I sent both coins off to Anacs. The double denom came back MS60. I'll sell it. It's on its way to auction tomorrow
Wonder what it will sell for- Good luck

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

Nice, good luck. I thought you had something here.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Earle42 »

Great! Keep us posted. Better yet...post a link to it so we can see it 😊
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post:
Paul
Rating: 3.03%