Louisiana 2002 State Quarter,trumpet piece doubling?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

Louisiana 2002 State Quarter,trumpet piece doubling?

#1 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

Reverse, trumpet, the small rounded piece.
PICT0403.jpg
These users thanked the author waynesonofpeter for the post:
SensibleSal66
Rating: 3.03%

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: Louisiana 2002 State Quarter,trumpet piece doubling?

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Can I get Pic of whole Coin ?
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

Looking at just this 1 picture, mechanical doubling
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

Whether a DD or mechanical doubling, How does it do just one piece? A coin I will post soon has 3 letters doubled, I suspect die deterioration but for conversation let's say it isn't. How can one device be doubled and the others not? If you have some specific pages or paragraphs I can read I'd appreciate it. I won't bore you with details but if you understood my work load and circumstances you'd understand why I am unable to spend hours on in depth research. So I try to grab information as I go from people with a lot more knowledge than I have on this subject.

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#5 Unread post by DSCoins »

Paul wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:39 am Looking at just this 1 picture, mechanical doubling
You really need to post a photo of the complete Obverse and Reverse. As Paul stated based on the one photo you did post. You really need to get into the habit of posting the Full Obverse, Reverse, Then some photos of the area in question. You either need to post a detailed description of the area in question or some way to point it out on the photo.
These users thanked the author DSCoins for the post:
waynesonofpeter
Rating: 3.03%

USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

waynesonofpeter wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:58 am How can one device be doubled and the others not?
I agree it seems to defy logic. First read the following so we are on the same page.
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
Caution: I am now entering former-teacher mode (and hoping it makes sense):
Note below the die is circular down to its base being held by the unit made to hold it:
Die_In_Holder.png
While the following is is not a totally an accurate picture of the die bounce, its the concept of how circular objects react that is important to think about.

When you throw a coin onto a flat surface, the coin doesn't immediately fall "dead" flat and stay still on the tabletop where it lands. A lot of the time the coin's circular design makes the coin "wobble/spin" around on its rim until it finally settles. This is b/c the coin's circular rim contacts the tabletop first and transfers the impact energy of hitting around the rim of the penny.

In other words, the entire coins surface is not in contact all at once with the surface of the table. The die, being circular, loose, and under tonnage of pressure, when the pressure is released is most likely going to obey the laws of physic concerning how circular objects impact/move, and the die will not have the energy acting upon it make a perfectly uniform bounce to plow every device up to the same extent.

The die will most likely, like the wobbling penny, not uniformly have all that energy spread evenly over its entire face. So only some area of the die plows up the metal to make MD.

Where can you read this idea online. Here. I have looked before and not found an explanation anyplace.

Having a background in teaching studying physics for years, some tooling knowledge, and enjoying troubleshooting anything I get a chance to, I followed what I have been taught and came up with this THEORY. So please view it as such.

The only place I see where I may be making a mistake here is the tonnage pf pressure being used may introduce other factors I do not know to account for in real life (physics always is different in real life!). I would appreciate and and all correction to the above, or any other ideas.

I am not too proud to find out my ideas are loco and a better answer is out there from someone who can teach me.

OK simple version. You are a microbe in the wobbling die ride. On the bounce, the natural wobble of the die will mean your ride does not end with a flat, dull thud across the entire face of the coin plowing everything up the same. The wobbling and bouncing die will plow up at a (very tiny) angle and not make contact with all the lettering at the same time, so only some lettering gets damaged.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

That explained it pretty good, I grasped the concept. Thank you so much for taking time to explain it for me.I have several books but not the time. I grab information piece by piece. PF is P/F?

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

Glad to be able to help - but it is just a theory that seems to makes sense (at least to me!).
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?