Could this be a mint error???

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Jimez1
Coining Around

Could this be a mint error???

#1 Unread post by Jimez1 »

I think I know the answer to this question, but I would like other people’s opinion as well. Sorry for being long-winded but I would like to get my thoughts and questions in before they are shot down. The marks on the front seem as though they were pushed through because I can see an image protruding from the back of the coin, which could mean this was deliberately done after the coin was minted. Not sure why the two indentations are not the same shape if someone used a tool to do this. The image on the back of the coin, where the Eagles leg is missing is also indented but I don't see a protrusion on the front of the coin and the shape is different than the two on the front of the coin. The lower indentation on the front of the coin is almost perfectly round but the extrusion on the back is not. I've been looking at strike through Errors and die chips to see if they could be responsible for the condition of this coin. For those that don't know what a strike through coin is, below is two definitions, and one definition of a die chip. So now you have all the reasons I question what seems to be the obvious. All comments and views are welcome.

What is a "strike through" error? Simply put, it is anything which is struck into the coin, but which was not "retained" in the strike.

Struck throughs occur when a piece of foreign material comes between the die and a planchet during striking. The coin is said to be “struck through” the foreign material, which leaves behind an impression on the coin's surface.

Die chips are small, isolated chunks of metal that break away from the die, usually in the middle of the coin away from the rim. A die chip on a coin appears as a raised mound of metal, and these die chips can range in size from very small to quite large. Most die chips are less than 1 millimeter in size.
Attachments
Shot with the flash 2021-07-24 at 5.25.15 PM.png
Shot without a flash 2021-07-24 at 5.23.44 PM.png

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Could this be a mint error???

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Multiple BB shots
These users thanked the author Paul for the post:
Jimez1
Rating: 3.03%

C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#3 Unread post by DSCoins »

Paul wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:47 pm Multiple BB shots
I agree. Basically PMD.
These users thanked the author DSCoins for the post:
Jimez1

USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

You're thinking to hard, you want the coin to be something it is not but you really know it's not, so you're struggling with the truth and fighting it. You need to be less emotionally involved in your coins, they're are what.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

Agree with all of the above. Nothing at the mint can do this. Research how the minting process is done. It makes for more easily identifying true errors.

@bong06
Welcome, but please post your own coins (one per) in your own threads. That way more people will see your coins instead of them being hidden inside some other person's thread.

Right now looking at where you only said:
1978 1 cent
My only reply could be..."yes it is." I am sure there is something more to it than that 😊
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#6 Unread post by DSCoins »

bong06 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:56 am1978 1 cent

Do not post photos of a coin on someone else post. Forum rules clearly state this. If you have a coin you want looked at start a new topic. Posting on some one else's topic are grounds as stated by the boards owner (Daniel) is grounds for removal from of said person.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Jimez1
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Jimez1 »

I hope anyone reading the post "1978 1 cent" in my post titled "Could this be a mint error" realizes that I didn't post under anyone else's topic. I'm not sure why these comments for "1978 1 cent" are under my post.
Last edited by Jimez1 on Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimez1
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Jimez1 »

Daniel wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:08 pm You're thinking to hard, you want the coin to be something it is not but you really know it's not, so you're struggling with the truth and fighting it. You need to be less emotionally involved in your coins, they're are what.

Hello Daniel, I value and respect your opinions on all things coins and currency but in respect to your comment on my post I'm not as emotional about the coins as reading your comments suggest. I think anyone posting comments in this section is hoping to find something of value and to gain knowledge. From the knowledge I've gained in the last few months you'd be surprised how many coins I now realized I had returned to the bank that was more valuable than I expected, and I would've never known without asking questions which is what my post was all about. To someone as experienced as you I'm sure you find these comments boring. I would rather ask a stupid question before I made a stupid mistake that my regrets can’t change. I do agree with everyone that the coin is damage. I was curious as what caused the marks.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

I don't just know coins, but I know this business and people VERY well. Some think it's arrogance or being "cocky" or what-not but such is not the case, I have decades of experience in this. So with that, the fact you posted all you did about a damaged coin IS because you're struggling with this coin and what it really is. You want this to be a strike through and afraid you're going to spend it and it's actually something. However, the coin is damaged and you don't need to worry.

Furthermore, unless you turned in a known and rare doubled die coin back to the bank, I can assure you that you haven't sent a coin to the bank that was more valuable than you expected. If you stick with known errors and the valuable varieties then you will be just fine, trust me. I see more coins than the average Joe and that includes rolls and tubs of pocket change so I see a much larger sample and most are common, circulated and damaged coins.

Jimez1
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by Jimez1 »

Daniel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:19 pm I don't just know coins, but I know this business and people VERY well. Some think it's arrogance or being "cocky" or what-not but such is not the case, I have decades of experience in this. So with that, the fact you posted all you did about a damaged coin IS because you're struggling with this coin and what it really is. You want this to be a strike through and afraid you're going to spend it and it's actually something. However, the coin is damaged and you don't need to worry.

Furthermore, unless you turned in a known and rare doubled die coin back to the bank, I can assure you that you haven't sent a coin to the bank that was more valuable than you expected. If you stick with known errors and the valuable varieties then you will be just fine, trust me. I see more coins than the average Joe and that includes rolls and tubs of pocket change so I see a much larger sample and most are common, circulated and damaged coins.

Hi Daniel, thanks for your comments. I did watch your YouTube video on damage coins, and I now understand your point of view. I will search for your videos in a future before posting anymore questions that your videos may answer.
These users thanked the author Jimez1 for the post:
Earle42

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Earle42 »

Just clearing things up:
The following was not aimed at you.
I hope anyone reading the post "1978 1 cent" in my post titled "Could this be a mint error" realizes that I didn't post under anyone else's topic. I'm not sure why these comments for "1978 1 cent" are under my post.
A user named Bong had posted his coin here and then deleted it after being told he needed to start his own thread. You can see my reply was meant for Bong by the:
@bong06
preceding my entry.

DSCoins also quoted Bong as seen in the quotation he used.

Evidently Bong deleted his entry before you had seen it.
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post:
Jimez1

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?