stumped on 1999 P mint Connecticut. quarter. Any ideas?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
stevesherrill
Coin Wizz

stumped on 1999 P mint Connecticut. quarter. Any ideas?

#1 Unread post by stevesherrill »

got this 199 P mint quarter that looks to be silver. Can this be? Or what else could it be?
IMG_20210914_173653.jpg
IMG_20210914_173700.jpg
IMG_20210914_173741.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: stumped on 1999 P mint Connecticut. quarter. Any ideas?

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

Plated coins are not all that uncommon.

Sometimes people do it for fun experimenting with nickel plating at home (not hard use a search engine).

And there also were/are companies who deliberately silver plated state quarters (and other coins) and make a sales pitch of how much money they will be worth in the future when, in reality, the company knows they are just taking people for a ride. Think Home Shopping Network. There are also gold plated ones as well...and painted...and hologram enhanced...and....

Coin dealers have to disappoint people all the time telling them that unfortunately their "priceless family heirloom" they brought in to sell is only worth dumping at the bank for face value.

But...but...I spent....

Sorry :(
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post:
SensibleSal66
Rating: 3.03%

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

stevesherrill
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by stevesherrill »

thank you didnt know anything about this now i know a little about it since you said it it helped me look it up again thank you sir

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#4 Unread post by DSCoins »

Earle42 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:57 pm Plated coins are not all that uncommon.

Sometimes people do it for fun experimenting with nickel plating at home (not hard use a search engine).

And there also were/are companies who deliberately silver plated state quarters (and other coins) and make a sales pitch of how much money they will be worth in the future when, in reality, the company knows they are just taking people for a ride. Think Home Shopping Network. There are also gold plated ones as well...and painted...and hologram enhanced...and....

Coin dealers have to disappoint people all the time telling them that unfortunately their "priceless family heirloom" they brought in to sell is only worth dumping at the bank for face value.

But...but...I spent....

Sorry :(
This same company also Gold Plated the Statehood Quarters and pushed that they were rare 14 caret gold quarters. They tried to make it sound that they were gold quarters (not gold plated) put out by the mint. I do not know how many people got taken by this, only to find out later these quarters were now considered damage, and NOT made by the mint.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

trevor
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by trevor »

Hi, I have sets of quarters over 384 coins in sets, I have, they look rather the same to the plated versions that I have.(gold, clad, platinum, p, d) i have most..... check for Wexler varieties theres lots in sets. Early series part sets that I have do anyway.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

@Trevor,
Sorry, I am unclear what you are saying. So just to make it plain for everyone:

The US mint never plated a quarter...ever. There are no plated quarter errors b/c its a physical impossibility to happen at the mint.

Quarters made after in 1964 and before were silver and have no copper line in the edge. Starting in 1965 quarters were made from a copper clad sandwich of metal.

They are considered damaged in the coin hobby although they are pretty enough to sell mostly to people who generally do not pay attention to coins. Unfortunately, if history repeats itself, these sets and coins will never be worth what the price charged was.

The only post 1964 silver coins made were in special mint sets, ordered from the mint, and typically inside specially designed mint holds. While silver state quarters DO exist, they were made and sold by the mint as part of the yearly special silver proof sets. These are 90% silver, a different weight, and have a literal mirror-looking surface.

Brutal honesty: these kinds of sets are sold to get people to pay a lot more for "Ooh...pretty," at a highly inflated price while making those same people believe they are making a wise investment. Sad, but true. I do not doubt there are some who buy them just for how nice they look...I am not saying everyone having one was suckered b/c surely there ares some out there who knew what they were buying and just did it b/c they like them.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#7 Unread post by DSCoins »

@Trevor
Do not jump into someone else's Topic. If you have a question about something you have, it is rule to open you own topic.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901