A 1982 D, 3.18 grs with Repunched date!

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
DSCoins
Coin Guru

Re: A 1982 D, 3.18 grs with Repunched date!

#11 Unread post by DSCoins »

excoin: If your English is good enough I recommend these two sites that you can study about what errors and varieties look like on U.S. coins
Error-Ref and Wexler's Coins and Die Varieties.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

Stop thinking you have repunched dates on these modern coins, learn how contact marks can move metal, etc. You're not going to find a repunched date because they didn't hand punch the dates in modern times, so it's impossible. You got to learn the minting process.
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post (total 2):
Paul, muswell65
Rating: 6.06%

excoin
Coin Collector

#13 Unread post by excoin »

Ofcourse I am happy with your reply and advice, but you are also a very demanding teacher.
I am already learning exactly the way you suggest, but you have to be realistic too.

What I mean is: imagine me, examining that 1982 D coin, and that I discover something that
looks like a repunch in many ways... You speak like if I had better not posted that pic,
because I should have known better when I studies enough about the subject.

I think that it will be very quiet on this forum when everybody is studying instead
of posting. And nobody needs no help no more.

But seriously, is it so dumb of me that I think that I found a repunch?... No, because
it looks very much like it...
Then you say that I must take the year of the coin, to compare mine to all the varieties
that are listed...
But the one who discovered that it actually said : E PLURIDUS UNUM on those nickels, instead of
PLURIBUS, should het have neglected his find because het couldn't find a precedent?

I believe that guts and curiousness are the most important ingredients for progress and development,
and comparing possible varieties to ONLY the already existing ones will result in a stand-still.

Therefor my question: without the pre-knowledge that there doesn't exist a repunched date for
that particular year, HOW can I , purely based on that 'wannabe' repunch that I see, come to the
conclusion that it is NOT a repunched number?... I would be very much helped by that knowledge.

Maybe you already get tired of discussions like this, and I will not be offended when you leave
this subject. I enclose a pic of a beautiful precedent... Greetz from Eva.
Attachments
repunched 1.jpg
repunched 1.jpg (122.75 KiB) Viewed 583 times

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#14 Unread post by DSCoins »

That is an entirely a different coin. The rules of the board are only ONE coin per topic. You need to open a new topic for your second coin.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Earle42 »

You speak like if I had better not posted that pic,because I should have known better when I studies enough about the subject.
Your first post was not the problem.

You refused the answer and asked the same question again:
Sorry for that, but still, I see that date as repunched, or am I wrong?
That is OK if you were just making sure, but then asked:
"Therefor my question: without the pre-knowledge that there doesn't exist a repunched date for
that particular year, HOW can I , purely based on that 'wannabe' repunch that I see, come to the
conclusion that it is NOT a repunched number?
... I would be very much helped by that knowledge."
Reading the answer I took the time (my free time) to type would have given you this information.

You asked:
but the one who discovered that it actually said : E PLURIDUS UNUM on those nickels, instead of PLURIBUS, should het have neglected his find because het couldn't find a precedent?
B/c something else already known to experienced collectors is that people back then did not have the internet. For the past ~35 or more years coin collectors having internet access have been searching their old and modern coins and reporting errors to websites made to catalog them.

We are not being rude. We are trying to help.

What is rude is when a person does not read replies, and then they try again to get the answer they want to hear. We won't do that to a person and give them false hope.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by Daniel »

You're comparing coins when they DID repunch date digits to when they didn't. They stopped hand punching date digits in the early 1900's so anything after that isn't a repunch. If you looked up repunch dated RPDs you can see when they stop. I was new at this at one time, but I never thought I had a repunched date on a modern coin. I asked and learned when they stopped doing that so I would know if it's possible or not. I wanted to know how it can or can't happen.

So you can't do this backwards and think you have something that is impossible to begin with. I chose to learn the minting process first. Also, there will never be a time no one is posting stuff like this, since 2009 on here and it's happening more than ever. Plus, when you try to teach people how to learn about this, they get upset and defensive. You need to be more demanding of yourself. I am not at fault here.

Also, you intend on posting errors or varieties that DO NOT exist then you need to be posting them at CONECA's forum on their website, they specialize in that, here we don't.
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post:
muswell65
Rating: 3.03%

excoin
Coin Collector

#17 Unread post by excoin »

Thanx guys! Forgive me my dumb stubbornness. I promise I will be a better student. Thanx again!
These users thanked the author excoin for the post:
muswell65
Rating: 3.03%