Could i have figured out a weird coin?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
ace1153
Coin Collector

Could i have figured out a weird coin?

#1 Unread post by ace1153 »

hey all. here is the scoop. I came across the penny with lines on it and at first, i thought someone was just screwing around and drew lines on it. i know, im an idiot but i didnt know. then i thought the penny was maybe sitting on a screen and then the lines were baked in the penny. But if it was sitting on a small screen lets say, the lines would only be on the high part, but they are on the lower parts aswell. Then by some really weird things that happen in a matter of a minute. I think i know how they got there. I would love to get a few opinions first before i let you know what i think. being new to coins, i have been trying to figure this out for awhile. Puzzle of the year maybe. You guys are brilliant though so thats why i decided to see if i was right. i uploaded 2 images. if more are needed i will take more. the lines are evenly spaced and straight.
Attachments
SingleShot0124 copy.jpg
SingleShot0125 copy.jpg

ace1153
Coin Collector

Re: Could i have figured out a weird coin?

#2 Unread post by ace1153 »

So, how i came to the answer all happened within 5 minutes. I have has this penny for awhile and i was trying to figure it out for a while. I went to youtube , the very first video was Dennis from coin help U, from 2 years ago. very first one, i watched the video and then he mentioned the wexlers coin and varieties website. so i went there. then on that site , i went to a variety section. then i seen something i never seen before called a UFO penny. i went there and instead of the first penny, i clicked on the second. There was a penny 1956 with a black line shaped like a 5. the line looked very similar to the lines on that penny. No other penny i seen had that black line that i looked at. Youtube was still playing on my tv and the next video after Dennis's video was another coin video and as i was watching it, there popped up a coin that had, waffle something. i cant remember the name it was called. But while i was looking at it, i noticed that the bends where the same distance apart and they looked like the same width. then i went back to wexlers site to see how that black line was made shaped like the 5. so i put 2 and 2 together and a came to you guys. lol. this series of events happened within a few minutes. and i have had this penny and wondering about it for months. please let me know if i am on the right track

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

These are roller marks on your coin and at the very least they're just toning from the coin being stored in a clothe in the past. It's not a major mint error either way. Also my name is Daniel Thanks

Here's a link to one and they're don't look the same either https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/top ... _ID=303921
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post:
Paul
Rating: 3.03%

ace1153
Coin Collector

#4 Unread post by ace1153 »

Alright, thanks Daniel. I didnt think that it was worth anything but i was trying to figure out how they got there. Shoot, i was wrong again. lol. I will learn , i promise.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

The pics are a bit fuzzy. It is difficult to discern.

A 30 second dip in acetone might also remove the lines and maybe indicate someone was playing with a fine tipped permanent marker.

Also I agree with Daniel's ideas as well.

Whatever the case, it did not leave the mint this way and is not an error coin.

The pictures might remind someone of what is known as a woody cent (look up online) , but a woody will not have perfectly straight and parallel lines since it it an improper mixing of alloys in the planchet.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#6 Unread post by Iceresistance »

What's the date?
You are never too old to learn something new