2016-D Lincoln Penny w/ multiple errors (Die Clash, Die Break, Strike Through, Lamination...)??? I DON'T KNOW!!!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
sejory318
Coining Around

Re: 2016-D Lincoln Penny w/ multiple errors (Die Clash, Die Break, Strike Through, Lamination...)??? I DON'T KNOW!!!

#11 Unread post by sejory318 »

I am purchasing some acetone from Home Depot this morning. I will let the coin soak for a few minutes and see what happens. If the shield still shows on the obverse, I will try taking and uploading better pictures. If the shield disappears, I will let everyone know. Again, thank you all for your continued assistance. I working very hard to become knowledgeable in this industry. Your support is greatly encouraging. Thx.

sejory318
Coining Around

Re: 2016-D Lincoln Penny w/ multiple errors (Die Clash, Die Break, Strike Through, Lamination...)??? I DON'T KNOW!!!

#12 Unread post by sejory318 »

I will be purchasing acetone from Home Depot this morning. I will let the coin soak a few minutes in the acetone. If the shield image persists, I will try to take better pictures and upload them to this post. If the shield disappears, I will let everyone know. Thanks again for your continued support. It is encouraging to have found such a knowledgeable and helpful community. I have a lot to learn, but I am willing and able to put in the required work. Thank you.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Earle42 »

It should not take more than a minute or so to remove glue residue (if this is what it is). Remember acetone is NOT toxic.

Do not use it in a plastic container as it can dissolve some plastics and make a mess. a porcelain cup/glass/old jar (clean) would be fin. No need to use a ton of acetone. Just cover the coin and maybe a 1/4" or so above it will be more than enough.

Do not leave the coin in the acetone long enough to evaporate all of the acetone away (inside the soaking jar) b/c this would put the dissovled residue back onto the coin and the chemically changed and re-deposited-onto-the-coin-residue is near impossible to get off again.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Joseppi
Coining Around

#14 Unread post by Joseppi »

Iv had a very similar coin, infact I believe it was a 2016 shielded penny like yours except crystal clear images on both front and back of penny, yeah the shield was somehow pressed so cleanly onto the front over Lincoln annnnd it was on the reverse two times, one shield upside down from the other, I couldn't understand how the percision was so clean and indented without damaging the coin or it's collar, nothing about the rim of the collar looked flattened, you would think that if someone put it in a vice that it would of did the collar in too in order to put such perfect mirror images of shield on both sides of coin.....very interesting!!?? Did you ever have yours graded or looked at?

Joseppi
Coining Around

#15 Unread post by Joseppi »

You can private message me or anyone else for that matter who is still active on this post

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by Daniel »

Someone used clear glue to do this, you have no idea how many times we see this. Also please read the forum title, this isn't for posting coins in. Use general topics or mint error forum.