21 days of coin studies & feeling a tad bit discouraged

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Thatgirl42
Coin Collector

21 days of coin studies & feeling a tad bit discouraged

#1 Unread post by Thatgirl42 »

Apx 21 days ago while visiting my father on vacation I noticed he was looking at coins with a handheld magnifier . I asked “Dad what ya doing?” He informs me he’s into coin searching.once home from vacation & With my curiosity struck ( no pun intended ) I unloaded a huge bucket of change I’d been saving up for the past few years onto my bed & began taking a look myself. Less than 24 hours later, 100 YouTube videos watched, registering on PCGS, the purchase of a digital microscope, a jewelry loupe and a digital scale, numb fingers, swollen ankles from sitting and brain matter the consistency of two day old oatmeal I came to the conclusion I WAS HOOKED! Only minor problem.... I am afraid I will never be able to spot doubled dies and or other varieties and errors. Doubled die coins are a beast!!! I am a student by my very design .. most would consider a nerd of sorts and so my determination to fully comprehend & become fluent in the knowledge of all aspects of U.S coins is beyond exciting . I want to apologize in advance for any or all question that I may post in the future that may seem elementary. Looking very forward to learning and growing here with you all.

Becky.
Attachments
CE9533FD-DEB8-4610-A61A-C555085477F4.jpeg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 21 days of coin studies & feeling a tad bit discouraged

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Welcome

It's not mandatory that you become a "Variety Collector".
............. Unfortunately, this seems to be the trend nowadays, as everyone is scratching for money.

Do not be afraid to ask questions here.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#3 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Welcome aboard !
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by Triple C »

Hi Becky...Welcome!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum. I have some instructional videos on doubled dies that will help you and here's one of them.

Thatgirl42
Coin Collector

#6 Unread post by Thatgirl42 »

Apx 21 days ago while visiting my father on vacation I noticed he was looking at coins with a handheld magnifier . I asked “Dad what ya doing?” He informs me he’s into coin searching.once home from vacation & With my curiosity struck ( no pun intended ) I unloaded a huge bucket of change I’d been saving up for the past few years onto my bed & began taking a look myself. Less than 24 hours later, 100 YouTube videos watched, registering on PCGS, the purchase of a digital microscope, a jewelry loupe and a digital scale, numb fingers, swollen ankles from sitting and brain matter the consistency of two day old oatmeal I came to the conclusion I WAS HOOKED! Only minor problem.... I am afraid I will never be able to spot doubled dies and or other varieties and errors. Doubled die coins are a beast!!! I am a student by my very design .. most would consider a nerd of sorts and so my determination to fully comprehend & become fluent in the knowledge of all aspects of U.S coins is beyond exciting . I want to apologize in advance for any or all question that I may post in the future that may seem elementary. Looking very forward to learning and growing here with you all.

Becky.
[/quote]

Thatgirl42
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by Thatgirl42 »

Thank you so very much for all the warm and supportive welcomes . I’m roaming around this site in order to find out precisely how it is set up and how to interact with you all. I am so excited to get to know all of you and to gain knowledge concerning all aspects of U.S couns (past,present,future)

Mrweaseluv
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by Mrweaseluv »

Hello and welcome too your new and life changing addiction :D... Never be afraid to ask a question but don't be surprised when you are advised to "read the book"... what book? red book to start. The price listings are about useless but there is lots of great info about the coins as well. After red book you find a book specific to the coin type/series you like/collect :D plenty out there. Dan also has some great videos up that can answer many questions while showing you exactly what you should look for.
You may soar with the eagles, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

...registering on PCGS...
Welcome!

From one nerd to another, please, before using these companies, do yourself a large favor and put some time in educating yourself on them as well. They are not what newbies just automatically take them to be...THE experts on anything and everything having to do with coins. They are grading companies....they GRADE. They do not identify errors, automatically identify and assign varieties, identify what an error is, and they are not scientific in their methods (nothing verifiable used) at all.

I am NOT discouraging someone from using them, but so many people lose a lot of $$ b/c they do not understand the reality of the companies. As just one example, you can take an MS64 PCGS coin, break it out and resubmit it, and never be guaranteed an MS64 again. It might come back as MS62 (uncommonly bad day for the graders!), MS63, MS64, MS65, MS66 (good day for you!).

Read the linked PDF in my signature for some eye opening realities - all taken from their own data and linked to for the reader to check it for themselves. You can see where thousands of dollars have been paid for numerous slabs that were falsely labeled b/c the people paying the money must have had blind faith n the company and didn't buy the coin instead of the slab.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

DanB
Coinasieur

#10 Unread post by DanB »

Welcome. May I suggest spending some time on Daniel’s YouTube channel. He has done a lot of topics, many of which you mentioned and he responded with a couple. But he also addresses using microscopes, when/if/how to submit coins for grading. IMO VERY important to view the should I get it graded videos. You have to research and do some cost/benefit calculations.
As much as Earl and I have bumped heads on occasion he is ultimately right on the grading as a whole. (As much as I hate to admit it 😬).