New and Need Advice on Grading 2021 Morgans

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
SJS
Coining Around

New and Need Advice on Grading 2021 Morgans

#1 Unread post by SJS »

Hi all. I'm new here, and although I've been interested in saving 90% Silver, and Bullion Coins for a long time, I'm fairly new to real collecting. I've watched a lot of the great videos from CoinHelpU on YouTube and appreciate them. Here's my current question. I've never even thought of submitting a coin for grading, but I was lucky enough to get 3 each of the 2021 D & S Morgans offered by the Mint yesterday. I probably won't sell them, but will likely keep them for the long term. I see all these graded coins by the big grading companies with "First Day of Issue", "First Strike" labels, etc. Do those make much of a difference? If so, how does a 'little' collector get them? If after everything I can tell by carefully inspecting these coins, they look like they could grade at 69 or 70, is it best to do it now or to wait a year or two? Are there special deals with the big grading companies for small collectors like most of us probably are?
Thanks!
sjs

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: New and Need Advice on Grading 2021 Morgans

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Welcome
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

We can't give you advice on if you should send a modern coin in for grading or not, no one really knows that answer. Also, each company is different so calling them about their labels and what they put on them. Also, their website has a lot of information on this. Thanks!

SJS
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by SJS »

Thank you Daniel. I guess it's time to dip my toe into the water and see if I can swim.

Brian Hagler
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by Brian Hagler »

SJS,
For what it's worth, I'd keep the coin in its holder from the Mint.
Use the money you spend to get it in a slab and buy another coin or 2.

There is a lot of " hype" surrounding coins, first strike etc. Unless your a dealer who sends in several hundred coins a year, the process might frustrate you. My 2 cents..
Member of CONECA

“Love will demand suffering”

SJS
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by SJS »

I appreciate your input Brian. I may have gotten swept up in the hype that a graded slab would cement the value somehow, but I know these come from the mint in a nice setting.

Mrweaseluv
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Mrweaseluv »

1st welcome to the forum
2nd welcome to your new addiction :D
Now you ask about getting your new morgans graded... You could.. it is normaly a slow process.. right now about half the collectors and 90% of the dealers that purchased these are preparing to send them in to pcgs/ngc/anacs/icg... meaning more then half of these coins will end up slabbed withing a month or 2 from when the mint ships them.. At that point there will be a feeding frenzy for the MS70s at outragious prices 98% will come back at 69 or lower and in a year or 2 depending on how the grading goes a 69 or 70 will retain a good value but you will be able to buy anything lower at near or below original mint price... Grading can be done at any time.. learn a bit... decide what you have, then decide if it is worth getting it graded... For now.. I would suggest you might consider picking up a nice 1921 or other common date (1881s a good example) slabbed in high grade for comparison. you should be able to pick up a nice MS65 MS66 easily for around the same as you paid for one of the new ones :D
You may soar with the eagles, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

SJS
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by SJS »

Mrweaseluv -
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your experience and your thoughts on this.