live in person help?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Txsteve1960
Coining Around

live in person help?

#1 Unread post by Txsteve1960 »

Hello Coin Community,

i am Steve from a small town just north of Houston Tx. I have an old lunch box full of coins that i collected as a child and those that were left to me by my Grandmother.
way to many to post here. does anyone know of a trust worthy person near Houston that would be willing to set down and go though this box with me to see if there are any notable pieces and perhaps give me a idea of value, i am willing to compensate for their time.

thank you in advance.
Steve

mikev50
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: live in person help?

#2 Unread post by mikev50 »

if you can---how about a few pics---thanks

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Triple C »

Hi Steve and welcome!
Prior to compensating someone to help you review your coins, I would recommend you sort the coins out by country (if foreign coins are included), denomination, and date. Then proceed to create a spreadsheet and list each coin in the order you sorted them. Get yourself a 2021 Redbook and go through your list to compare. Write down on your spreadsheet as many notes as you can. Being organized will make your research so much easier. You should also go through as many websites as you can to educate yourself with what you have. Besides the Redbook, you will find price guides to give you an idea of your coin's values on PCGS and NGC websites. Again, these prices are just guiding points. Once you get an idea of what you have, you might discover you will only question a handful, if that, of coins. Which you can simply post each coin here for help.
Plus, you will have a better idea of what the person helping you says about your coins (if you do hire someone).
Best of luck whatever you decide!

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by Matthudson »

Join or visit a collectors club:

This one even meets at the Spring branch of Houston Community College, TX, which is at least fairly close to the right end of the city to you!

https://houstoncoinclub.org/

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

Whatever you do, DO NOT, go to anyone with a box of unsorted coins! Please head the advice above and try to learn and appraise on your own first, then go to someone to verify what you think you found.

Txsteve1960
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by Txsteve1960 »

thank you all,
a minimalistic spread sheet has been done with minimum values assigned. unfortunately even with a loop my ability to ID "special" coins is pretty bad.
Steve

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Triple C »

Then you are in luck, because special coins have already been ID'ed. Go to the various websites referenced on this forum and compare the noted varieties to your list.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

I agree with Triple C.

Trying to find unusual coins that might have value is the backwards and harder way. A good place to start is varietyvista.com where they have an easy to use interface by coin types.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?