New to forum

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Buckfever
Coining Around

New to forum

#1 Unread post by Buckfever »

Hello I have been collecting for a while, but recently started collecting varieties and errors. It started with foreign coins when I was overseas in the Marines. When I got out I I collected for a few years , then started my family. Well kids are grown and I am bored so back at it again. I hope this forum is better about keeping to the subject and encourage instead of criticize and discourage them from collecting. I am intrigued by coins and I like sometimes to have a discussion about the coin to see if I am seeing something right or not. I would enjoy a explanation of MD push or DDD rather then criticized.I’m just bored and it’s just me and my dog. I do not worry myself about the premium of the coin or what it’s value is. I collect for my grandchildren and hope they take on the hobby. Other forums tell you to stay away from YouTube. I actually think CoinHelpU is a good place for folks to go and be provided ed a explanation and a visual guide. Sorry a bit long. Thank you for your time.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: New to forum

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Hello and Welcome !
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum. People are getting frustrated with all the MD and damaged coins being posted in all these forums, because of all the Youtube channel putting out hype videos on coins you can find that are rare and valuable. People watching these videos don't understand the minting process or how mint errors and varieties are made or occur. And they seem to not want to learn that and instead want to serial post the same damaged coins, over and over.
Some of us have been doing this for decades and teaching but it seems the refusal to learn and listen and teach oneself is slowly fading away, even though the Internet is full of great information on these subjects.
So that is why people are responding the way they do in these communities.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#4 Unread post by Paul »

Welcome

As Daniel is mentioned, you going to find a lot of so-called "Experts" on the popular video websites. Whenever I need a good laugh, I usually go through them and watch a few. I'm amazed at the quantity of absolute JUNK these people are pushing upon the public. I guess it's just 15 minutes of fame!…… And the trolls, are too numerous to list,...... but I can pick them out in under a minute. Probably just because I've been doing this so long.

I would recommend that you invest some time in learning and understanding the full minting process. Once you have a good grasp of this, most of your questions will be answered,..... as you will understand what can and cannot happen during the minting process.

What people don't really understand, is the word "Rare", or "Scarce"....... and they mean exactly that! They're not common, that's why there are so few of them around.
I don't think anyone should get discouraged, but I've been doing this for more than 50 years, and I still have yet to find that one "Bombshell" coin. I've come close. But it seems to me that the Internet has done more harm than good in the numismatic field. I don't want to get long-winded so I'll end it now. If you have questions please ask.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Clint W
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by Clint W »

Welcome!! Lots of smart people here. I am new to collecting but am enjoying it for sure. Thanks for your service! I am also a vet. Retired Air Force MSgt, did 23 years.
USAF Retired 1995-2018
Fairly new to collecting

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

Welcome!

One of the things I hate is when someone is rude to someone else. One of the reasons I like this forum is b/c pretty much we try to arrest this happening.

However life gets in the way sometimes, so answers can be short and to the point here...please never take a short answer here as being rude though.

Some of the people on here, especially Daniel himself, have just waaaay to much going on in life to take the time to not just state the facts and move on.

While people like me are more verbose, its b/c I usually have the time to be so, I want people to feel welcome here (have time to do so), and I also attempt to include enough info in the first answer to answer the next logical questions that typically arise about the subject.

Being a teacher all of my life adds to this habit of mine :)
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Triple C »

Hi and welcome!

Buckfever
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Buckfever »

Thank you all for your replies. I never read replies in a rude manner. Just like text message can be read wrong. I do understand the minting process and I do understand Machine Doubling, Die Deterioration Doubling, and Die Doubling. I wanted to research on counter clash for the 1983 LMC and my 1909 V.D.B. and saw CoinHelpU. Providing visual helps more then simply texting a description. I do agree with the junk like Etsy or people on ebay that well anyways Thank you for your reply and thank you MSgt for your comment to the military. I saw combat and that was enough for me. Soon as I read the rest of the Do Not Do list then the rules I will take time to figure out the posting a picture.
Is it customary to post cropped pictures of the Obverse, Reverse and if possible closeups of the area in question?

Buckfever
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by Buckfever »

Not a counter clash on a 1909 LWC. Mine is missing the periods on the designer’s initials.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

I try to let everyone here know when I find out they are a vet that I sincerely thank you for your service. I hope I have not missed anyone, b/c to me, our vets are the reason why we have the freedoms we do including being able to share on a coin forum.

So thank you and, I don't think I missed you before Clint, but if I did, the same goes to you. You ARE much appreciated.

I also thank every vet I see when I am out and about. I intend to do this until I am gone.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#11 Unread post by Iceresistance »

I've seen those crazy YT videos on certain coins . . . I've chosen NOT to watch them for a good reason . . .

Refer to the Experts if you noticed something odd with your coin! I've found a Collar Clash 1999-D Dime a year ago when I thought it was a Doubled Strike . . .
You are never too old to learn something new