It all started when I found a proof nickel

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
JustMikeTheDude
Coining Around

It all started when I found a proof nickel

#1 Unread post by JustMikeTheDude »

Hello I’m Mike and I’m a relatively “green” coin collector. One day a few months ago I was counting cash drawers and like a lighthouse beacon through dark clouds I came upon a 1998 S proof(I later learned) nickel. At first I was sure I was looking at a fake, plastic nickel that someone had snuck in while paying at the register. I quickly realized this was not the case as it was obviously metal and just as intriguing as ever. Since that day, counting my drawers takes considerably longer than it used to 😎.
I have acquired numerous coins of all denominations and many from around the world, but there is one coin in particular that has brought me here today. In keeping with the forum guidelines, I’ll hop over and post it as a new topic. I’m looking forward to being a member here thank you!!

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: It all started when I found a proof nickel

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Hello Mike ! Welcome , Glad to have you .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#3 Unread post by DSCoins »

Welcome to the community.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

JTCC
Coin Guru

#4 Unread post by JTCC »

welcome
U.S. cent lover!

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#5 Unread post by Paul »

Welcome
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

thairunts
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by thairunts »

Mike, Welcome! My story started about 40 years ago when I was kicking through gravel at my great grandparents house in the mountains of Arkansas - and found a nickel too. Of course it was black - and after much scrubbing (please don't do this), found it to be an 1882 shield nickel that was AU+ when it went into the mud 100 years earlier. I completely ruined it, but it sparked a huge collection and a lot of education / enjoyment - and still holds a place of honor.

Thanks,
Scott

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

Welcome...we try our best to educate people here by answering them and pointing them to proper resources when we can. So feel free to ask questions.

Please DON'T feel we are “being negative when our answers are sometimes short with few 🌺🌻🌼 in them. 😊

Quite a few of us spend hours here daily to try to help a lot of people so time is against us.

Fun story about the proof nickel!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

JustMikeTheDude
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by JustMikeTheDude »

Thanks all! I can handle criticism and honestly not expecting to get rich finding a rare coin. My posts and questions are born purely from curiosity and interest rather than in hopes of discovering a previous unknown gem 🙂. Thanks again for welcoming me as I look forward to learning from this forum!

Jlynn8523
Coinasieur

#9 Unread post by Jlynn8523 »

Welcome Mike pleasure to have you!! Few things you should know! Most of these guys who welcomed you are not only collectors but teachers! They will give you the information to find answers to you’re questions so you can do the actual work/learning of the coin in question! They truly want you to learn anything that they can teach you about coins in general so they’re not just gonna say, “Yes that is that particular error!” Hundreds of people post on here daily and after the same question is asked by 75% of those posts If you were just given the answer to the same question the trend will continue! Now some find it a waste of time for them to give you only the information regarding the coin at hand or what you think the coin at hand is, but making you do your own research and find out what is what is the ultimate goal in the end so that you can actually enjoy and put together a good collection! It’s nice to get to know you I’m sure I’ll see you around and remember everything these guys offer is because You asked for it! They’re A great group of guys that are here to help you!
INDIANA’S BIG BASS HUNTER
COIN COLLECTOR FOR 4 YEARS
FATHER OF THE FIRST EVER BOY NAMED CALIBER!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome!

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by Triple C »

Hi Mike and welcome!