Kennedy Half Dollar struck thru grease or damaged?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
NewbieCoiner67
Coining Around

Kennedy Half Dollar struck thru grease or damaged?

#1 Unread post by NewbieCoiner67 »

I found this 1986-P Kennedy Half Dollar coin roll hunting. Is this a die grease error or after mint damage? It looks as if a staple fell onto the coin NW of "D' in God but later
fell off. There is also rim damage just to the left of 6:00 which makes me think it could be after mint damage. If it IS mint damage should I have it graded or sell it raw? your opinion means a lot to me, thank you in advance!!
Attachments
FULL OBVERSE
FULL OBVERSE
FULL REVERSE
FULL REVERSE
ANGLE SHOT
ANGLE SHOT
CLOSE-UP
CLOSE-UP

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kennedy Half Dollar struck thru grease or damaged?

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Could be struck through but can't really tell based on these images.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#3 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

I was thinking the same thing , need better pics .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

NewbieCoiner67
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by NewbieCoiner67 »

Hi Daniel & Sal, thank you for replying. I've added a few more photos in different lighting. I hope they help. If not, is there a specific angle(s) you would like to see? Please let me know and I'll get them uploaded asap. Thanks again, Denise
Attachments
Full obverse
Full obverse
Close up
Close up
Side angle
Side angle
Upside-down
Upside-down
Darker lighting
Darker lighting
20210308_135322.jpg
20210308_140450.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

Pics seem to show unusual roughness in the affected area that might be struck through. Out of focus though when zooming, so hard to tell.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#6 Unread post by Paul »

Are we sure that this is not just a surface contaminant?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

Either way, this doesn't add value to the coin, but I can't really tell what is going on. Sorry

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey Newb, I am with Paul on this. Looks like contamination of some type, I would say acid, there is that funky rainbow blotchiness, which generally indicates acid. If I had to guess, battery acid from being stuck under the battery of a 1985 Yugo. You are too young to remember the Yugo, but some of us here still remember and laugh.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

NewbieCoiner67
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by NewbieCoiner67 »

Silly, I'm obsessing over a coin that is not worth more than face value!! I've watched so many of Daniel's videos that I actually hear his voice in my head telling me to "MOVE ON"!! So, this is my last attempt for an answer by submitting pics that you can zoom in on. Your time is valued & very much appreciated. :-)
Attachments
WIN_20210309_08_52_06_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210309_08_51_42_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210309_08_50_52_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210309_08_48_45_Pro.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

Silly, I'm obsessing over a coin that is not worth more than face value!!
Not really. Its a learning experience. IN this case, what is stopping a better answer is that this coin just refuses to be photographed.

Here are my thoughts form the pics:
Struck through grease coins typically have the area smooth looking - yours appears scratched and soiled. But it is possible to have ben struck through grease and then damaged in circulation.

I do not think acid was used to make that entire area look like it does b/c the mint mark is still there but surrounded by the affected area.

If there is a corresponding area in this exact position on the REV of the coin where the design is somewhat flattened, then the front was flattened in this area by being hit. But then again there is that P mint mark showing in the damaged area, so my guess is no damage in the REV side!)

2. I see the rim appear intact. Although not conclusive, this might also point to it not being damaged from some sort of blows onto the surface.

3. The new pics seem to show some scratch marks (cannot tell for sure) throughout the whole area.

So my guess:
Struck through grease, then the area was messed up in circulation.

If you want to obsess some more (fun isn't it!?) let this thing soak in acetone for 30 seconds or so and see if the black stuff comes off. It might give a clearer pic of the surface.

Whatever it is...besides a mystery and learning experience...like you said...face value.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

Problem is you can't always know how a coin was damaged and you can only "see" so much in images, even when you can zoom in.

NewbieCoiner67
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by NewbieCoiner67 »

Hi Earle & the community, my apologies for not answering sooner. I took your advice, Earle. I ordered pure acetone, and dipped the coin for 30 seconds this morning. Aside from the coin being a bit cleaner, the results weren't as good as I hoped. As you see, the pictures look pretty much the same as they did before the dip. And...you're right, this coin does not photograph well AT ALL!!

On the reverse, there does not appear to be any denting in the area in question but I do see a little rim damage (as seen in previous photos). When I run my finger across the area it feels smooth but, when I use my fingernail, I do feel the dips where the scratches are. After watching more videos about die grease errors & then looking at eBays past sales on coins with die grease errors, I am confident with your opinion "Die Grease Error with After Mint Damage on the said area.

Thanks again for your time, most appreciated as always,
~Denise ~ a.k.a NewbieCoiner67
Attachments
WIN_20210312_10_12_42_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210312_10_12_42_Pro_LI.jpg
WIN_20210312_09_24_53_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210312_09_22_17_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210312_08_44_07_Pro.jpg

NewbieCoiner67
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by NewbieCoiner67 »

Coin Mule wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:52 pm Hey Newb, I am with Paul on this. Looks like contamination of some type, I would say acid, there is that funky rainbow blotchiness, which generally indicates acid. If I had to guess, battery acid from being stuck under the battery of a 1985 Yugo. You are too young to remember the Yugo, but some of us here still remember and laugh.
That's funny Coin Mule, thanks for the laugh. I graduated High School in '85 and remember the Yugo well!!

~Denise

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Earle42 »

Well at least now you have acetone to use for other things you may find! Its all a fun learning process.