How to "Restore" pennies (or copper in general)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
musospuso
Coinasieur

How to "Restore" pennies (or copper in general)

#1 Unread post by musospuso »

So I know we're not supposed to "clean" our coins but "restoring" is acceptable. Anyone have links to good articles and videos on the best methods to "restore" copper/pennies? I believe the method or at least chemicals might be slightly different from silver-colored coins. If anyone wants to share their own personal favorite method that would be great too. Again, not looking to "clean" my pennies, just want to "restore" them (same as PCGS or NGC might do for the extra fee) to look their best presentable self.

JTCC
Coin Guru

Re: How to "Restore" pennies (or copper in general)

#2 Unread post by JTCC »

some acetone may help.
U.S. cent lover!

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#3 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Pure Acetone most likely. Not nail polish remover.
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#4 Unread post by DSCoins »

Another item you can try is Verdi-Care
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

All you need to know...take the link :D
https://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/view ... hp?t=20498
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

The problem here is PCGS nor NGC can nor will restore all coins, just coins they believe will benefit. You must learn which coins qualify for being restored and that takes years of experience. So you can learn all the techniques but screw up a coin or waste your time and nothing happens.

musospuso
Coinasieur

#7 Unread post by musospuso »

Earle42 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:23 pm All you need to know...take the link :D
EDIT: forgot to ask about simple smudges like fingerprints--is acetone, and the other chemicals you mention good enough to get rid of those or will a simple water and 100% cotton "patting" dry do the trick?

Fantastic info! I thought I knew the difference but the way you explained it was much better than the definition in my head.

So Acetone; is this appropriate for both copper and silver (color OR content) coins or is it only appropriate for one or the other?

EZest - I have some of this but have definitely been leaving coins (nothing valuable) a bit too long in there. Guess I have to practice more. Though given that it is destructive might just stick with Acetone restoring until I get better at it.

JTCC
Coin Guru

#8 Unread post by JTCC »

musospuso wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:14 pm
EDIT: forgot to ask about simple smudges like fingerprints--is acetone, and the other chemicals you mention good enough to get rid of those or will a simple water and 100% cotton "patting" dry do the trick?

Fantastic info! I thought I knew the difference but the way you explained it was much better than the definition in my head.

So Acetone; is this appropriate for both copper and silver (color OR content) coins or is it only appropriate for one or the other?

EZest - I have some of this but have definitely been leaving coins (nothing valuable) a bit too long in there. Guess I have to practice more. Though given that it is destructive might just stick with Acetone restoring until I get better at it.
acetone would get rid of the fingerprints on a coin(if they are fresh, old fingerprints would oxidise the metal of the coin and therefore cannot be helped by acetone). Acetone is appropriate on all coins, can't do any bad to the coins.
U.S. cent lover!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

The instructions there are all inclusive. We could go through every possible type of dirt/smear/foreign substance (including fingerprints) etc., but there is no need since the info there applies to all of them. The info there is the tried and true method that is not mine only, but is a summary of internet information concerning what actually works (b/c I got lazy about typing it out all the time LOL!).

As to E-Z-Est, look up Daniel's videos on this. As you know, it is way too easy to ruin a coin by letting them stay in this chemical, and technically, this is cleaning a coin as it dissolves some of the coin's surface metal. But since grading companies will accept these (when properly done), it is not as frowned upon. Grading companies claim you cannot tell the difference in one of the E-Z-Est dipped coins vs. actual mint luster. Try it sometime. Its pretty easy especially when side by side. The naturally minted luster has a different shine and color than a dipped one.

I also believe that linked thread mentions the different metals and using acetone as well.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

musospuso
Coinasieur

#10 Unread post by musospuso »

Earle42 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:01 pm

The instructions there are all inclusive. We could go through every possible type of dirt/smear/foreign substance (including fingerprints) etc., but there is no need since the info there applies to all of them. The info there is the tried and true method that is not mine only, but is a summary of internet information concerning what actually works (b/c I got lazy about typing it out all the time LOL!).

As to E-Z-Est, look up Daniel's videos on this. As you know, it is way too easy to ruin a coin by letting them stay in this chemical, and technically, this is cleaning a coin as it dissolves some of the coin's surface metal. But since grading companies will accept these (when properly done), it is not as frowned upon. Grading companies claim you cannot tell the difference in one of the E-Z-Est dipped coins vs. actual mint luster. Try it sometime. Its pretty easy especially when side by side. The naturally minted luster has a different shine and color than a dipped one.

I also believe that linked thread mentions the different metals and using acetone as well.
I just tested as you said and sure enough there is a difference even to my n00b eyes. I only kept the penny in the E-Z-est for maaaaaaybe 1.5 seconds. Cleaned it, looks "nice", but not as lusterous as another version of the coin in that series that I have. Bummer.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Earle42 »

Actually I was referring to the silver luster and should have been more specific!

I do not think I have ever tried to dip a cent before. No real reason, just dealt more with other coins I guess.

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#12 Unread post by DSCoins »

I tested EZest on both a copper cent and a copper coated zinc cent. It is ok with the copper cent and no bad side effects after a week or so, as compared to the copper coated zinc which turned a very hazy whitish color (they were done side by side to rule out environmental causes).
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Daniel »

Ezest will ruin a copper coin. I've used ezest for 20 years.