1949 Canadian half dollar (WD)

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
CDisnuts
Coining Around

1949 Canadian half dollar (WD)

#1 Unread post by CDisnuts »

Hello,
I am trying to figure out what's going on with "4". It's higher than "1" which is not supposed to happen.

The reason could be just damage, but I can't see it.
501o.jpg
50c.jpg
PoF.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1949 Canadian half dollar (WD)

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

At first I looked at the page from the Charleton Price Guide you posted and thought the slanted perspective of the coin in one of their examples might be making a difference in how their picture looked. But the off perspective would only make the 4 look higher - and its still not close to the line.

Then I noted the comparison lines Charleton drew in black did not have a consistent starting point with respect to the number 1 and thought that may be throwing off the comparison with yours.

So I drew my own red line on yours and the possible 1949 matches in the book.

I do not find a match!

The other possibility if that since your pic goes fuzzy when zoomed, I am wondering if it took a hit in circulation to move the metal? There is an apparent divot in the 4 at a place that might accomplish metal displacement upwards.

Here is the graphic I made:
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
My summary? I think an in focus picture is needed to make an absolute statement to see if the metal was moved by a hit.

Some help with getting a focused picture:
https://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/view ... hp?t=23514
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

CDisnuts
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by CDisnuts »

Earle42 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:45 pm At first I looked at the page from the Charleton Price Guide you posted and thought the slanted perspective of the coin in one of their examples might be making a difference in how their picture looked. But the off perspective would only make the 4 look higher - and its still not close to the line.

Then I noted the comparison lines Charleton drew in black did not have a consistent starting point with respect to the number 1 and thought that may be throwing off the comparison with yours.

So I drew my own red line on yours and the possible 1949 matches in the book.

I do not find a match!

The other possibility if that since your pic goes fuzzy when zoomed, I am wondering if it took a hit in circulation to move the metal? There is an apparent divot in the 4 at a place that might accomplish metal displacement upwards.

Here is the graphic I made:
1949_Canada_Half_Comp.jpg

My summary? I think an in focus picture is needed to make an absolute statement to see if the metal was moved by a hit.

Some help with getting a focused picture:
I looked at the 4 from every angle and there is definitely a "shiny" spot. It's extremely weak, so I do not think it caused this potential shift. I will try to make a better picture tomorrow because my lightning right now is horrible.

I tried to compare the first 1 against another coin I have.
1949comp.png
There is a difference, but Charleton Price Guide has exact same 1.

Will get back to it tomorrow!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

Not sure what the comparison is meant to portray since the coins are of a different date/die? Could you elaborate please?

Also...here is an easy setup for focused pictures:
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

BTW - what is the weight of this coin? Also do a magnetism check as well as thickness. The pics, to me, do not look like a fake, but I know (and own some) Chinese made fake Canadian coins.

CDisnuts
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by CDisnuts »

Earle42 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:04 pm BTW - what is the weight of this coin? Also do a magnetism check as well as thickness. The pics, to me, do not look like a fake, but I know (and own some) Chinese made fake Canadian coins.
1949 - 11,59g and 2mm thikness which should be good numbers (11,66g and 2mm)
49b.jpg
49t.jpg
As you can see there is some shine on 1 and 4. I do not know if this happened due to circulation or damage. I am not experienced enough.

I did not know about Chinese fakes, so I weighted all of my 50c coins. Red flag 1967 commemorative (probably cleaned): 11.87g and 2mm on the nose.
67r.jpg
67o.jpg
Last edited by CDisnuts on Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CDisnuts
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by CDisnuts »

Earle42 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:45 am
Not sure what the comparison is meant to portray since the coins are of a different date/die? Could you elaborate please?

Also...here is an easy setup for focused pictures:
My bad. I just do not have a better point of reference.

I tried this setup for my 1967 coin.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

Your picture on the '49 is slanted int the picture. Can you get a straight and overhead picture like you did with the '67?

Also - are you using a timer and elevating the coin to take the pics? The '67 gets fuzzy when zooming and the setup/method is designed to eliminate this.

Also try to find a number of books to put the camera on that will allow the coin to be focused in the viewfinder without zooming. To focus you can tap the coin, the camera auto focuses, and then use the timer.

Zooming in causes digital information to be included and can fuzz the picture itself when the picture is zoomed after it is taken.

Also we ask only one coin per thread. Confusion results when we try to answer questions for more than one coin otherwise.

CDisnuts
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by CDisnuts »

Earle42 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:52 pm Your picture on the '49 is slanted int the picture. Can you get a straight and overhead picture like you did with the '67?

Also - are you using a timer and elevating the coin to take the pics? The '67 gets fuzzy when zooming and the setup/method is designed to eliminate this.

Also try to find a number of books to put the camera on that will allow the coin to be focused in the viewfinder without zooming. To focus you can tap the coin, the camera auto focuses, and then use the timer.

Zooming in causes digital information to be included and can fuzz the picture itself when the picture is zoomed after it is taken.

Also we ask only one coin per thread. Confusion results when we try to answer questions for more than one coin otherwise.
I thought it would better show the shine.

There are a lot of counterfeited 1990s $2 coins in circulation, but I've never heard of faked 50c.

That's the best I can do.
20220622_153727(1).jpg
20220622_153655(1).jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

I have done a lot on studying fakes and, in the past, got quite a few of them to use for study.

At one time an outfit called Big Tree in China had a website from which you could buy fakes of even common date coins from all over the world. The idea was that people would not suspect common dates and so some dishonest person could sell them for melt coins and make a good profit.

I took you last picture, zoomed on the date, loaded it in a graphics program, and drew a red line intersecting the numbers. I went to ebay.ca and did a search for a 1949 Half dollar. After going through a couple I found a match, loaded its picture into the same graphics program, and copy/pasted the red line I drew on yours to the one in the auction. They fit exactly (taking into account shadows, lighting, and "gunk" around numbers making darker areas).

Here is a picture of the auction and what they are calling a Narrow Date variety.

So although this variety is not in the picture of your price guide, it seems someone out there has identified it.
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.

CDisnuts
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by CDisnuts »

Earle42 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:54 pm I have done a lot on studying fakes and, in the past, got quite a few of them to use for study.

At one time an outfit called Big Tree in China had a website from which you could buy fakes of even common date coins from all over the world. The idea was that people would not suspect common dates and so some dishonest person could sell them for melt coins and make a good profit.

I took you last picture, zoomed on the date, loaded it in a graphics program, and drew a red line intersecting the numbers. I went to ebay.ca and did a search for a 1949 Half dollar. After going through a couple I found a match, loaded its picture into the same graphics program, and copy/pasted the red line I drew on yours to the one in the auction. They fit exactly (taking into account shadows, lighting, and "gunk" around numbers making darker areas).

Here is a picture of the auction and what they are calling a Narrow Date variety.

So although this variety is not in the picture of your price guide, it seems someone out there has identified it.
1949_Canada_Narrow_Date_Half.jpg

Interesting. It would be rather naive to buy your homeland coins from China. I hope not many people felt for that scam.
About a month ago a 68-year-old guy got caught with 20k worth of counterfeited toonies ($2 coins). https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/news/2022 ... cy-charges
I will be looking for that "paw" even though I don't collect $2 coins (I hate the design and a lot of fakes from the 90s are still around).

Thank you. Next time I will use this strategy and use eBay or this https://www.cdncoin.com/category-s/1972 ... -1949=2438
Charlton got me confused this time.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Earle42 »

Interesting. It would be rather naive to buy your homeland coins from China. I hope not many people felt for that scam.
The Chinese market was aimed at people over here who would buy them in bulk and then scam their fellow North Americans.
About a month ago a 68-year-old guy got caught with 20k worth of counterfeited toonies ($2 coins).
Yes, that horse hoof on the polar bear is a dead giveaway. I know the problem has been terrible up there.

Please do not take the next statements as anything negative. Outside of the present government up there, I love Canada like a second home. I am one of the few southerners who knew what to do at a flashing green light, whose favorite candy has always been Smarties and mint Aero bars (although Crunchy is a close second - we call it sponge candy down here and its hard to get), and has spent a LOT of time in the boonies fishing as well as traveling almost the entire QEW from one end to the other. I even found out a few years ago when my ancestors came over from Germany, the first settled up North of the border! That was grade "eh" info to me :D :D

Anyway...as I said before, I collected Canadian and US coinage having access to both for many years. I always found, back then, the Canadian coin hobby was not as well documented as down here. I suspected lack of documentation was from the huge population difference and therefore relatively small percentage of Canadian coin collectors finding/discovering/recording information about their coins? So when finding something in the Charleton guide that did not coincide with a coin in hand, I was not as surprised as if something like this happened in the US.

I admit I am kind of surprised to see this happening still though. But, then again, the RCM has started to issue a new coin every time someone orders a double double, so the sheer volume of what can be collected up there is so vast that I don;t know if it ever could be documented :lol:

Rats, you have made me "homesick," and I don't see a way of getting up there any time soon :?

Oh well...I will be seeing some Canadian friends here soon though. I'll email them and ask them not to forget the Smarties :D :D