Bi-centennial Kennedy Half Dollar, gold plated.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

Bi-centennial Kennedy Half Dollar, gold plated.

#1 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

I recently came across a bi-centennial Kennedy Half Dollar, gold plated. Weighing 11.5 gms. which would make it 40% silver or silver clad. Are those two terms the same? Or if it's 24k gold plated maybe that accounts for the extra weight? But I've not located it in any references in respect to mint issues. Not a US mint coin? Maybe a Franklin Mint style issue?

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bi-centennial Kennedy Half Dollar, gold plated.

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

The mint has not ever issued a gold plated Kennedy half dollar. Also the amount of gold it is plated with is so very small the plating adds no value. Looking at the following tolerances chart, it would see yours best fits the 40% category for weight.
US Coins, weight Composition and Tolererances copy.jpg
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

JTCC
Coin Guru

#3 Unread post by JTCC »

May I ask which U.S. mint branch has struck the coin in question?
U.S. cent lover!

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

JTCC, On my coin there is no MM. But on utube podcast the Treasure Town guy had one with what appeared to be a "D".

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

Earle, thanx, I was pretty sure it was not from the US mint but I could not find any evidence. I have the tolerance chart in a file, I believe I got it from you. And I have another chart from "Price Guide to Mint Errors" by Alan Herbert. Have you heard of this book and author?

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

One more thing, what's the difference between silver clad and 40% silver. Any literature that I could read about that subject?

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

And I have another chart from "Price Guide to Mint Errors" by Alan Herbert. Have you heard of this book and author?
Nope. But I do not have many coin books either. In fact I just sold one of my Cherry Pickers volumes. I don't use them much and figured someone out there would put them to better use. My Red book sits on the shelf unused also!
One more thing, what's the difference between silver clad and 40% silver. Any literature that I could read about that subject?
The terms are interchangeable when talking of US coins.

Clad - to be covered or clothed in.
Copper clad = a copper core sandwiched between (hence the word "clad") layers of nickel/copper alloy. We normally just think of these when someone says a "clad" coin.

Silver clad = a copper core sandwiched between silver. In the case of 40% silver coins though, the outer layers are only 40% silver.

Since the outer layers are more copper/nickel alloy than silver, technically it would be correct to call the 40%'ers "alloyed-silver clad." But who cares? Its English and we don't obey our own grammatical rules anyway :D
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

Thank you so much for that Info.

JTCC
Coin Guru

#9 Unread post by JTCC »

waynesonofpeter wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:48 am JTCC, On my coin there is no MM. But on utube podcast the Treasure Town guy had one with what appeared to be a "D".
Okay, no mint mark means your coin is struck in Philadelphia, and the only silver half dollar struck in 1976 is struck at San Francisco. So in conclusion your coin is unfortunately not silver.
U.S. cent lover!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

Yes - now that we know it does not have an S or a D on it, then it was the Philly mint. It cannot be silver since Philly only made clad Kennedy halves. The weight is a bit on the high side, but it could have been a slightly heavy planchet to start with.