How do you decide what to keep?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
acmesafe
Coin Collector

How do you decide what to keep?

#1 Unread post by acmesafe »

***Titles Are Important***
:D I corrected this one for you - titles must include date and type of coin as well as a specific small description of question :D
So we can better help you, please use the following link before making another post:

Click here, READ the guidelines list and please watch the video!
....Earle42

When coin roll hunting I come across many rotted and coins that have no eye appeal
some are varieties and errors. At what point does condition play a major role in searching.(in general)
Should I be saving them or tossing them back. should I bother checking these coins at all and save time .
How do you do it. Thanks :) :) :)

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: How do you decide?

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Minors need to be an early die state and in uncirculated condition.....

Majors should be EF or better with no major distractions ......JMO
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How do you decide what to keep?

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

...should I bother checking these coins at all and save time...

It depends on how YOU enjoy the hobby. If you are searching to hopefully find a way to make some money for your hobby, then its only the non-"micro" DDOs and DDRs that are going to be worth anything.

If you just enjoy seeing how many varieties you can find, then keep them all.
How do you do it.
When I was roll searching I was doing it with the goal of finding the best examples of Kennedy halves form circulation per each date and MM that I could. I also wanted to find the main DDOs, DDRs, and RPMs.

I threw back a couple of DDOs that were damaged enough from circulation that most people would not recognize them as a DDO.

As far as using roll searching to make money, I spent about 1.5 fun years weekly looking through 2 complete boxes of halves. I was not doing it for money/profit. In fact I could make an awful lot more money working just one week at a part time job than I made/profited from those 78 weeks of roll searching halves (including what silver I found)!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

pnwmakes
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by pnwmakes »

It is really up to you, I keep things that have no value at all for some reason. I probably have pulled 15 rolls of 2009 cents out of rolls when i hunt boxes of cents. I also have a jar of the most ugliest zinc rotten cents (don't know why). Just do what makes you happy.
Member of CONECA
Island Dweller
Former U.S. Navy

JTCC
Coin Guru

#5 Unread post by JTCC »

I agree, it greatly depends on personal opinions. I would keep everything in any grade.
U.S. cent lover!

rrogers015
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by rrogers015 »

I agree with what everyone here has said. As an individual you must decide on your own personal goals. Everyone has a different approach.

acmesafe
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by acmesafe »

:) :) :) thanks to all for the input,

oldbearjames
Coin Collector

#8 Unread post by oldbearjames »

I don’t know how collectors are able to get coins (rolls) out of banks anymore. It’s literally like pulling teeth. Why? If anyone can answer this question I’d appreciate it. To answer your question and from my perspective only on cents: keep the 95% copper and wheats. If the copper has oxide on it through it in a bin and eat the 10% fee at coinstar. For me it’s the thrill of the hunt and knowing that I have bags of unsearched cents with mint marks and dates to look through for rpm and dd for many winters to come. Keep in mind also that there are ubber amounts of immigrants in this country now; they have no idea about American coinage. They bring rolls to banks.It’s amazing what you’ll find in a roll of cents these days. Why my bank with half my house in it, on deposit, makes it like I’m asking for their first born when asking for 10 rolls of cents - is beyond me.

JTCC
Coin Guru

#9 Unread post by JTCC »

oldbearjames wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:03 pm Keep in mind also that there are ubber amounts of immigrants in this country now; they have no idea about American coinage.
:snooty:
U.S. cent lover!

oldbearjames
Coin Collector

#10 Unread post by oldbearjames »

Thanks for your feedback. I can see value in coinage making people learn fast in general.
Yet when I saw mercury dimes/silver dimes in cent rolls and foreign coins all roughly the size of cents, it made me wonder. I’ve come to this as one of many conclusions as to why this may be one of the reasons.I could elaborate but as you can see from my first post it was lengthy to begin with.