1965 Kennedy Half Dollar DDR, FS-802?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
tkr
Coining Around

1965 Kennedy Half Dollar DDR, FS-802?

#1 Unread post by tkr »

Hello,

I have this 1965 Kennedy Half which I am pretty confident is a match for WDDR-001 on Wexler's Die Varieties (https://doubleddie.com/1607177.html). However, I'm attempting to determine if this is the same DDR variety listed as DDR-004 on Variety Vista (http://varietyvista.com/12%20Kennedy%20 ... DDR004.htm), since that one is noted to be FS-802 (which PCGS recognizes for attribution.)

The extensive doubling of the stars matches up, although there are other 1965 DDRs with doubled stars. The main reason I believe they are the same variety is the small, circular die gouge just south-east of the star below the letter A in "States". Wexler notes this specifically as a pick-up point, while Variety Vista does not mention it at all, but at the very bottom of the picture labeled "AT of STATES", it looks to me that the same die gouge is present, nestled up next to the aforementioned star.

Thanks in advance for anyone's assistance.

Attaching a couple pictures of the coin in question:
1965 50C DDR.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1965 Kennedy Half Dollar DDR, FS-802?

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

You have posted some good quality pictures for closeups, and I personally think you have a match for the FS-802.

Two things to consider:

One:
The value of this coin is likely not going to be wroth the slabbing costs.

Two: PCGS has a terrible record with being able to identify and attribute varieties on Kennedy Halves (all of the companies do). See the essay in my signature for a real eye opener (linked data from the PCGS website) as to their lack of expertise despite what the masses want/tend to believe about the companies.

They cannot get the most obvious variety for Kennedy halves, the No FG designation, correct ~1/3 of the time, so I do not know how good they would be at identifying something that takes as much work to ID as the FS-802. Of course they might just slap it on there and take your word for it!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

tkr
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by tkr »

Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely take a look at the essay you linked.

As far as the worthwhileness of encapsulation, personally, I would agree that it is not valuable enough. I have an interested buyer, however, who feels differently, so I am trying to do my due diligence to correctly identifying the variety. I'd like to avoid having an unhappy customer if PCGS in uncooperative.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

tkr wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:08 pm Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely take a look at the essay you linked.

As far as the worthwhileness of encapsulation, personally, I would agree that it is not valuable enough. I have an interested buyer, however, who feels differently, so I am trying to do my due diligence to correctly identifying the variety. I'd like to avoid having an unhappy customer if PCGS in uncooperative.
By all means if someone likes their coins slabbed, then the cost of doing so is a moot point. Hobbies are about fun.

Just make sure the buyer knows the costs to get it slabbed before you do so they don't decide not to buy at the higher price than book value :D
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

tkr
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by tkr »

Earle42 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:06 pm
Just make sure the buyer knows the costs to get it slabbed before you do so they don't decide not to buy at the higher price than book value :D
That's a very good point! Fortunately, the buyer already mentioned having some free gradings burning a hole in their pocket.

silviosi
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by silviosi »

Me I find this DDR the most harder to catch from all JFK series. Very easy to confound with the WWHR's. your seem to be the FS. Hint: The split serif in A in STATES and the right 4 stars over the banner will show the stage. I can not compare with mine because it is complete other stage. Nice catch.

PS: Me I slab them in order to put in slab cartable pages. If you go for certification go with ANACS or VSS. Forgot PCGS.