Whitman Lincoln Cents folder #2 - rescue dogs

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Matthudson
Coin Wizz

Whitman Lincoln Cents folder #2 - rescue dogs

#1 Unread post by Matthudson »

What do all of the wheaties in this folder have in common?

- They were all in rolls destined for slaughter at my LCS who buys them for 2-cents apiece. They're part of a 6-roll sweep of rejects. My great-grandmother, great aunt, and grandmother left me several folders, jars, boxes purses, and shoes, well, maybe not shoes, full of coins - pennies. Pennies, pennies, PENNIES! My goal this year is to consolidate the dozen or so folders into ONE Dansco. First task at hand was to remove them all and inspect them. Then the weeding started! I ended up with about 8 rolls of keepers, and 6 rolls of dogs (I don't consider any 1941+ under VF/EF "collectible". An "s" mint mark might get a pass.)

One more look through the coins sentenced to exile produced a "fifth-place" #2 folder. (I have 2 partially full, and 2 missing only 2-3 coins.)

This set of "rescue dogs" will make an excellent door/booby prize, or gateway drug for a layman or youngster just entering the addiction, er, "hobby".

For the price of 74 cents!

So, I do this:

1. Really dirty coins get a bath in boiling distilled water with a little dish soap to soften the dirt. Rinse well. Pat dry. Then, they get to join the others in for a soak in...

2. Acetone

1a. For coins that have slight corrosion, mold, fin-rot, ick, or similar, when all the rest are done, I add the slightest pinch of Arm and Hammer laundry detergent to the boiling water. The sodium carbonate as an active ingredient may help. There's a 50/50 chance it won't work. When it does, "WHOA! "NICE"! It has also on occasion reduced the appearance of carbon spots. But, nothing I've tried will remove them. Don't leave it in too long, or you'll get very bright spots on the higher points, or worse, unnaturally blue pennies. No, copper rarely tones blue, in my experience. A blue penny has probably been monkeyed with! If my evil experiments have yielded any positive, it's that I am getting super good at spotting cleaned coppers! Because I've wrecked so many myself!!

3. The thinnest coat of mineral oil - let sit overnight, swab off again with a Q-tip. Careful not to smudge the folder with oily hands/gloves! Use a fresh pair! I've ruined some pretty nifty old folders that way!

4. Cut a circle from a vinyl flip. Insert it between the paper and the reverse of an uncirculated coin to hinder the toning of the unexposed side of the coin in the slot. Whitman should make albums out of that material the rings in Air-Tites is made of - I think.

Et Voila !

A well groomed and curiously satisfying set, from coins that were originally deemed lost!

S2340001.JPG
S2340002.JPG
S2340003.JPG

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Whitman Lincoln Cents folder #2 - rescue dogs

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

Very nice and great instructions as well.

Some help:
1. It has also on occasion reduced the appearance of carbon spots. But, nothing I've tried will remove them.
If find spots like this easy to remove with the following tool:
81Bl07jJ-UL._SX425_.jpg
I do it all the time when restoring hand tools.

(disclaimer...:character-jestercolor: :teasing-tease:)

2. Cut a circle from a vinyl flip. Insert it between the paper and the reverse of an uncirculated coin to hinder the toning of the unexposed side of the coin in the slot.

Not THAT seems a good idea! I wonder if you could not get a punch of that size to make the job go faster?
Hollow Punch Set - 9 Piece.jpg
Though extreme and with Canadian nickels, I saw a Whitman folder once where the edges of some of the coins literally rusted - guessing from contact with the cardboard - which likely absorbed a liquid once-spilled on the folder.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Matthudson »

Any hobby store that caters to scrap booking needs has 19 mm disc makers - more like a compass cutter, though. Why doesn't Whitman just glue a sheet of vinyl to the back of the board and then apply the paper over it?

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by Matthudson »

Yeah, keep 'em dry. Seen a friend's childhood folders utterly ruined from living in a damp basement. Sounds like the perfect "Estate Find" material for eBay!
Last edited by Matthudson on Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by Matthudson »

Earle42 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:29 pm
I do it all the time when restoring hand tools.
Oh, the humanity! I remember seeing Jr. coin collecting starter kits at the dime store as a kid. Came with a magnifying glass, a few cardboard holders, a pocket price guide, and a piece of STEEL WOOL! :shock:

MY INITIAL ATTEMPTS AT CONSERVATION:

Colombia_Jackhammer_01.jpg

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by Matthudson »

Shhhhh! DO NOT speak of the lemon juice soak, and Bee-hold wax furniture polish on the steelie! Our secret!

Spray, swab off excess, hair dryer!
Last edited by Matthudson on Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#7 Unread post by Iceresistance »

Glad you saved them! I would have done the same thing too.
You are never too old to learn something new

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

Why doesn't Whitman just glue a sheet of vinyl to the back of the board and then apply the paper over it?
B/c they know people will buy them without them having to go to all that trouble!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

rrogers015
Coinasieur

#9 Unread post by rrogers015 »

Very nice work Matt! That 59D really pops. :clap: :dance:

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#10 Unread post by Matthudson »

rrogers015 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:11 pm Very nice work Matt! That 59D really pops. :clap: :dance:
The mems aren't actually rescues. They're from a huge restaurant-size pickle jar full my Great Aunt Millie tossed her extra pennies into little by little. I have a whole roll's worth of 1964-D coins that I don't have the heart to deliver back to the bank. Of the jar's contents, maybe 10% - about 8 rolls - survived as "keepers". The rest are long gone. Millicent Van Saw was a runway model in the 1930s, by the way!!

I think when it's time to sell all the folders, I will leave the slots for the memorials mostly blank, encouraging the buyer to join in on the fun of "roll diving", the thrill of collecting from circulation!

With postal rates ridiculous as they are, I'm preparing 12 folders to sell together at one time.
Last edited by Matthudson on Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by Matthudson »

Iceresistance wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:43 am Glad you saved them! I would have done the same thing too.
Yes! about 4 hours of work for 74 cents, with the potential to make up to 5 dollars profit! I shall give my boss a 2-week notice in the morning!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Earle42 »

Wow - almost a gallon of gas!