1976 DDR Dime

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
MycoinQs
Coin Collector

1976 DDR Dime

#1 Unread post by MycoinQs »

Hello to all of you here. I have a DDR 1976 Dime and I can find no record of this error. I need help. 😩 I have more pictures with doubling in other words here as well but this one shows the doubling really well. Thanks for any input.
Attachments
9E8AC523-25D0-4F49-A6CA-003AD054F8F2.jpeg
299C8B36-92C9-4C97-B917-1DFFBDA7F416.jpeg
Last edited by MycoinQs on Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DSCoins
Coin Guru

Re: 1976 DDR Dime

#2 Unread post by DSCoins »

This looks like Strike Doubling to me.

Please
Click here, READ the guidelines list, and please watch the video!

Thank you
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

MycoinQs
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by MycoinQs »

I don’t think it’s a double strike because there are notch marks and I’ve looked at other examples. There is more doubling on the coin. I just uploaded one picture.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1976 DDR Dime - Cannot find it in references.

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

1. :character-cookiemonster: I had to correct your title so it would be meaningful for the forum's search function.
Please take the link I put inside your first post so you know what the forum guidelines are and no corrections will be needed in the future. Thank you! :D

2. Here is a way to find immediate answers when finding something you suspect is a doubled die, RPM, or OMM:
Please click the following link:

Immediate Answers - How to find your Doubled Die or RPM online

Note:
If you do not find your coin listed using this easy method, then you most likely have a damaged coin or other issues like (non collectable) machine doubling, die deterioration doubling, etc. (look these up at error-ref.com)
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

MycoinQs
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by MycoinQs »

Thank you for the response. I read the guidelines and updated the post to show a full view of the coin. Thank you for correcting the title. I am new to coin hunting. I have looked at several double dies versus machine doubling and I still think this is more likely a double die. I could be wrong but I’ve inspected the coin closely and I can see notch marks that I’ve seen on other double die varieties. Thank you for your help though. 🙂 I will review the guidelines again also.
These users thanked the author MycoinQs for the post:
Earle42
Rating: 3.03%

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Doubled dies are not errors they’re die varieties. It’s very important to know the difference.

I agree strike doubling.
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post (total 2):
SensibleSal66, MycoinQs
Rating: 6.06%

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#7 Unread post by Paul »

MycoinQs wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:27 pm Thank you for the response. I read the guidelines and updated the post to show a full view of the coin. Thank you for correcting the title. I am new to coin hunting. I have looked at several double dies versus machine doubling and I still think this is more likely a double die. I could be wrong but I’ve inspected the coin closely and I can see notch marks that I’ve seen on other double die varieties. Thank you for your help though. 🙂 I will review the guidelines again also.
👌
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

MycoinQs wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:27 pm Thank you for the response. I read the guidelines and updated the post to show a full view of the coin. Thank you for correcting the title. I am new to coin hunting. I have looked at several double dies versus machine doubling and I still think this is more likely a double die. I could be wrong but I’ve inspected the coin closely and I can see notch marks that I’ve seen on other double die varieties. Thank you for your help though. 🙂 I will review the guidelines again also.
:clap:

Some help with strike doubling:
Click to enlarge.  Feel Free to share.  Save for reference.
Click to enlarge. Feel Free to share. Save for reference.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

MycoinQs
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by MycoinQs »

Thank you

MycoinQs
Coin Collector

#10 Unread post by MycoinQs »

Thank you for the info you posted on doubling. I have been looking closely at my coin with my lupe. If one was playing a card game and had a hand of cards where the tops of the cards were spread apart but the bottom edges were touching, that is how the letters on my coin appear with my lupe. So it really looks different than any of the examples you posted. So I’m still a little confused. I’m sorry to bother you about this. Thank you again.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#11 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Check out varietyvista.com . No Doubled Die error variety exists for this year on the Reverse. This is how you know and because of the " shelf-like" appearance. I hope this helps some.
These users thanked the author SensibleSal66 for the post:
MycoinQs
Rating: 3.03%

Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Earle42 »

As Sal said, check out varietyvista.com for confirmation this is not a doubled die.
MycoinQs wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:18 am Thank you for the info you posted on doubling. I have been looking closely at my coin with my lupe. If one was playing a card game and had a hand of cards where the tops of the cards were spread apart but the bottom edges were touching, that is how the letters on my coin appear with my lupe. So it really looks different than any of the examples you posted. So I’m still a little confused.
Die deterioration can also factor in. But in this case I want to point out something specific with MD. I understand when first encountering this subject there is a lot to remember.

One key clue to MD is that the sizes of the original affected letters/devices is made smaller. Here is a graphic I made to show this on your coin:
I’m sorry to bother you about this. Thank you again.
No need to apologize. You are legitimately trying to learn and that is what we are here for! :D

MycoinQs
Coin Collector

#13 Unread post by MycoinQs »

Thank you for taking the time to explain and thank you for the visual it really helps me. 🙂

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Earle42 »

You are welcome. Also note the MD was slightly rotational. As can be seen in the picture, look at the leftmost letter T. The base is unaffected but the upper portion is. Then look at the tops of the A, T, and E to see their tops also were smeared. Yet the bases of these letters were affected not so much.

JayEff
Coin Collector

#15 Unread post by JayEff »

Earle42 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:53 pm As Sal said, check out varietyvista.com for confirmation this is not a doubled die.
MycoinQs wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:18 am Thank you for the info you posted on doubling. I have been looking closely at my coin with my lupe. If one was playing a card game and had a hand of cards where the tops of the cards were spread apart but the bottom edges were touching, that is how the letters on my coin appear with my lupe. So it really looks different than any of the examples you posted. So I’m still a little confused.
Die deterioration can also factor in. But in this case I want to point out something specific with MD. I understand when first encountering this subject there is a lot to remember.

One key clue to MD is that the sizes of the original affected letters/devices is made smaller. Here is a graphic I made to show this on your coin:
MD_decreases_widths.png
I’m sorry to bother you about this. Thank you again.
No need to apologize. You are legitimately trying to learn and that is what we are here for! :D
Wow, I thank you too for that graphic. I didn’t even notice the shortening of the letters. I was focused on the width and was also confused.