1967 Canada Half dollar - Is this post mint scratching or die damage?

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
2rtgah567
Coining Around

1967 Canada Half dollar - Is this post mint scratching or die damage?

#1 Unread post by 2rtgah567 »

***Titles Are Important***
:D I corrected this one for you - titles must include date and type of coin as well as a specific small description of question :D
So we can better help you, please use the following link before making another post:

Click here, READ the guidelines list and please watch the video!
....Earle42

I have this Canadian SP half a dollar that looks absolutely stunning except for somewhat looks like rub mark on the queen's shoulder. i found a coin graded by pcgs in PL66 with these same marks but idk if its damage or die damage? any info would be great thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-06-04 200039.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-04 200042.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-04 200121.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-04 200139.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-04 200203.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-04 200242.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-04 200254.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-04 200254.jpg (21.35 KiB) Viewed 633 times

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1967 Canada Half dollar - Is this post mint scratching or die damage?

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

OK - not simple to answer - history needed:
1. This is a proof-like (PL) coin.
2. PL coins were made with used regular circulation dies after being treated in a nitric acid bath and polished. While the original article about this is not on the internet anymore (that I could find), the info is quoted on some forums as being:
3. The pressure was higher than a normal business strike, but the shoulder area was always one of the high points of the design and not always fully struck.
4. I am not positive, but there is a term called "dimpling" used in Canadian numismatics and refers to texturing on the Queen's shoulder area.

All of the above added together was the cause of dimpling.

If someone can show me where I am off base on all of this, I would appreciate it. I think you are seeing dimpling.

BTW - the term PL was never used at the RCM but was made by Charlton (Canadian price guide for coins) around 1954.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

2rtgah567
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by 2rtgah567 »

Earle thanks you for the feedback, but this coin actually is SP, it came out of the black case with the gold coin. but if your true that would be great cause i want to get it graded, ik its not worth it but i personally want to cause i like it.

Peggysis
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by Peggysis »

Earle42 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:39 am OK - not simple to answer - history needed:
2. PL coins were made with used regular circulation dies after being treated in a nitric acid bath and polished. While the original article about this is not on the internet anymore that I could find, the info is quoted on some forums as being:
3. The pressure was higher than a normal business strike, but the shoulder area was always one of the high points of the design and not always fully struck.
4. I am not positive, but there is a term called "dimpling" used in Canadian numismatics and refers to texturing on the Queen's shoulder area.

If someone can show me where I am off base on all of this, I would appreciate it. I think you are seeing dimpling.

BTW - the term PL was never used at the RCM but was made by Charlton (Canadian price guide for coins) around 1954.
Very accurate from what I remember. I have the same RCM set and it's a favorite. Thanks.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

2rtgah567 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:31 am Earle thanks you for the feedback, but this coin actually is SP, it came out of the black case with the gold coin. but if your true that would be great cause i want to get it graded, ik its not worth it but i personally want to cause i like it.
All the more reason to have it graded IMO! Hobbies are about enjoyment. That wolf is one of my favorite overall designs, although I really like the typical half dollar REV as well from Canada.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

Peggysis wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:17 am
Earle42 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:39 am OK - not simple to answer - history needed:
2. PL coins were made with used regular circulation dies after being treated in a nitric acid bath and polished. While the original article about this is not on the internet anymore that I could find, the info is quoted on some forums as being:

Very accurate from what I remember. I have the same RCM set and it's a favorite. Thanks.
Thanks for the verification :)

pahwa
Coin Expert

#7 Unread post by pahwa »

Earle42, that was some wonderful information, thank you for posting that.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

WhIle this is an old thread, I made up a graphic of this, so am posting it.
Click to enlarge.  Feel Free to share.  Save for reference.
Click to enlarge. Feel Free to share. Save for reference.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#9 Unread post by Paul »

Lee,
Proofread paragraph 4
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

Thanks Paul...corrected.