Cracking Out Slab Coins To Fill Albums;Your Thoughts

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
VegasDan
Coining Around

Cracking Out Slab Coins To Fill Albums;Your Thoughts

#1 Unread post by VegasDan »

I do it because I like the look of a filled up coin album.And I know the coin isn’t cleaned or a fake.Also I never plan on selling them anyway.But expensive coins,that’s something I just won’t and can’t do.I do like certain coins slabbed just to hold and look at.
Has anyone else done this or just me?
Attachments
3914CFE0-59F6-4610-98DB-C4134B798F18.jpeg
6520D482-19B2-4AB5-A910-0479C02C4C15.jpeg

muswell65
Coin Wizz

Re: Cracking Out Slab Coins To Fill Albums;Your Thoughts

#2 Unread post by muswell65 »

Of course, it's a personal choice. Myself? I'd keep it in the slab :)

Best,
Jeff

JTCC
Coin Guru

#3 Unread post by JTCC »

of course, it's a perfectly fine thing to do.
I do the same with my cent albums.
U.S. cent lover!

Marvic
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by Marvic »

Not for me, if they are slabbed they stay slabbed...

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#5 Unread post by Iceresistance »

In my case, the worst one of the bunch goes in. (NOTE: I have no slabs)
You are never too old to learn something new

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

The more research I have done into slabbing companies, and I have done a lot, the more and more the slabs become (trying my best to be kind so as not to insult anyone) an "artificial" aesthetic (how did I do?).

If someone likes the looks of slabs, then by all means - they have a legitimate and good reason to keep their coins in them (plus slabs look nice). It's a hobby and hobbies are about having fun with what we LIKE.

Since there is no science used, and any cracked out coin is never guaranteed the same grade (even when re-submitted to the same company), I don't like the "assigned value" of a coin+slab+label that goes POOF when the label and plastic are gone. It's too Beanie Baby-ish to me. And when one day they finally re-institute something verifiable for coin grading, the current plastic+slab+coins will likely lose value when coins start getting an actual grade based on their condition.

My focus is the coin and its' place in history. And I don't feel a need to pay someone to someone "verify" what I believe I have identified for myself.

And to make sure this post is not taken wrongly by anyone...enjoy slab+label+coin if YOU like them. It's not a right/wrong issue if someone likes them.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

I know a few collectors who do this.

LittleKing1885
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by LittleKing1885 »

I do this often, just never with key dates and coins that are MS65 or nicer.