mint state pennies turning colour. need advice

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
ace1153
Coin Collector

mint state pennies turning colour. need advice

#1 Unread post by ace1153 »

Hi everyone. I hope you all are doing well. I noticed today some pennies I have, that I keep in a plastic coin case, I'm not sure what the case is called, anyway, then I put them in a container and then they are put in another case that is kept in the dark, are turning colour. They are beautiful and I don't know what I am doing wrong for them to turn colour. Whatcan I do to stop this before they all get ruined. thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Attachments
S20220928_007.jpg
S20220928_008.jpg
S20220928_009.jpg
S20220928_010.jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: mint state pennies turning colour. need advice

#2 Unread post by Paul »

This is called "Toning".
What's happening here is called "Offgassing".................
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

Exposure to the elements causes a metal to tarnish. The "more marketable" word for this is "toning."

The tarnish is accelerated by two things: Humidity and foreign chemicals on the surface when stored (which could have even been something like an airborne perfume, finger oils, or even a breathing on the coins at the time of storage.

Coin storage recommendations:
1. Removal of foreign substances from coin surfaces whether you see them or not:
Easiest method - a 5 second dip in pure acetone (use glass container/jar - not plastic as acetone can eat plastic). Like pure water, acetone cannot chemically or physically alter the metal of your coin. Unlike water, acetone will totally evaporate very quickly. So after a second or two there is no more trace of acetone (or the contaminant ) on the coin.
- the ONLY thing I have heard bad about someone using acetone on a penny is that in direct sunlight they got a pinkish hint of color to the penny. I have not see this and have no idea whether it was the container it was in or?

2. Use a desiccant when storing you coins. Silica gel is inexpensive and easily re-useable.
- suggestion: Go to a local furniture store. Every piece of furniture they receive that needs assembly before putting onto the show room floor is shipped with silica gel packets. Ask a manager if they would mind saving these for you instead of putting them in the dumpster. The store saves by not needing to pay to throw the packs out (pay by weight), the packs don't end up in the landfill, and you get dry storage conditions for your coin. Win-win-win.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

ace1153
Coin Collector

#4 Unread post by ace1153 »

Alright, thank you very much, I will go get some silica packets .im not to comfortAble using anything on coins although I would love to be able to remove dirt. but if you say acetone is alright, then I will try it

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

A bit of assurance for you about the acetone...I am a former chemistry teacher. :D

If you want to give the coins a longer acetone bath, then make sure it's in a covered container so the acetone will not evaporate. I use a baby food jar.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Larocko17
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by Larocko17 »

Ty because I didn't know you could put a cent in acetone. I won't damage the coin at all ?

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#7 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Larocko17 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:00 am Ty because I didn't know you could put a cent in acetone. I won't damage the coin at all ?
No, you won't . 100 % acetone not nail polish remover.
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Larocko17
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Larocko17 »

Ty sir. It doesn't make them turn red does it? hahahaha

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

Acetone doesn't remove toning and will not improve your coins appearance. It's not worth the trouble, these are very common coins that are not worth much.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

While acetone will not restore the original finish, if there is something on the coin which is making the coin turn colors, the acetone has a good shot at removing that substance.
Ty sir. It doesn't make them turn red does it? hahahaha
Although I have never tested it, maybe I should some day, I once saw a post online where someone said they put a penny in acetone in direct sunlight and it got a pinkish tinge after a long time of soaking.

This is the only mention I have ever heard (since 2011 0f being of forums almost every single day) of acetone changing something on a coin. I suspect there was a residue in the jar that was used or some sort of other chemical able to enter into the container. I also do not know why anyone would specifically go outside to use acetone (it is not toxic - you eat it in grapes and your body always has some in it anyway), and I don't know why they would leave it for so long b/c it only takes 10 seconds or so to remove most surface contaminants.

If you have a lot of these, then, as Daniel said, there is no real extra value to them to worry about. If you have just a few in your collection you want to preserve from changing color, then it won't hurt. I have been using acetone on every coin I have put into a holder for the past 10+ years now with no problems (including pennies). I don't want to come back 3 years later and find an errant fingerprint I left on the coin without knowing it has now become indelible marks on the coin.