Mars Bluff S.C. - J. Eli Gregg & Son, mid 1880's

Discuss or ask questions or posts paper currency topics. World currency is allowed as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
JMK2022
Coining Around

Mars Bluff S.C. - J. Eli Gregg & Son, mid 1880's

#1 Unread post by JMK2022 »

In my previous posting (World Coins), I mentioned the solar customer who gifted me with some coins & Civil War era notes. This note comes again from them, Jack & Betty C., of La Jolla, CA.

What I have found out about this note is that it comes from a National Historic Landmark (cotton) plantation in (Florence/Marion County) South Carolina, owned by John Gregg (1781-1839), and his son, John Eli Gregg (1805-1873).

These type of notes were apparently used in the plantation store, and were received in payment for the slave labor performed on the plantation.

I have seen a Christie's auction result that included both .05 cent & .10 cent AU versions that were sold in a group of 5 lesser quality notes that realised a total auction value of $1430. That makes it hard to determine the value of this particular note individually, but, there is a listing for a.50 cent AU one currently online for $600, also in AU condition. It's been up for sale for years, so, it may be a bit overpriced.

One thing I found interesting about this note is that I realized that the rear of the this note matches some Walker Iron & Coal Co. notes I also have in my collection. All were likely were printed about the same time, by the same printer (Corlies Macy & Co. Stationers, New York), using the same basic paper & colors, in the early to mid 1880's.

I'm including a front/back photo of my note. It measures 4" x 1-3/4". I'm also including a pic of the Walker Iron & Coal Co. notes, for comparison purposes.

I'd be interested to learn anything more, if anyone has any further knowledge.

Thanks in advance,
Joe
Attachments
J. Eli Gregg .50 cent front
J. Eli Gregg .50 cent front
J. Eli Gregg .50 cent rear
J. Eli Gregg .50 cent rear
Walker Iron & Coal fractional front
Walker Iron & Coal fractional front
Walker Iron & Coal fractional rear
Walker Iron & Coal fractional rear
Screenshot_20221005-110205(1).png

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mars Bluff S.C. - J. Eli Gregg & Son, mid 1880's

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

Beautiful notes, but too much of a specialty area for me to know anything about them.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?