UNC 1960-D Lincoln Cents - Die Crazed?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
JMK2022
Coining Around

UNC 1960-D Lincoln Cents - Die Crazed?

#1 Unread post by JMK2022 »

Several decades ago I bought several thousand Lincolns, various years, that included many rolls of "uncirculated 1960's" from another solar customer of mine, in Solana Beach, CA. He was an elderly WWII Vet that helped to liberate the Niederhausen death camp, in Germany, and ran a Kansas storefront after the war. He collected whatever coins interested him, that ended up in the till, and likely he bought the 1960 bank rolls to satisfy his curiosity during the 1960's SD/LD craze. I'm guessing he never finished looking through them, and just put them away. At any rate, he and I talked coins, over a drink, after working on his home, and he kept indicating that he had some great stuff, but before he'd show me any of that, he wanted to unload all the Lincoln's. Eventually, I decided to buy, and looked through a few UNC rolls, and lost interest. I put the whole bunch away for decades, but had some time off last year, and thought I'd give it a go, again. Well, as it turns out, I can't tell a small date from a large one, even after reading multiple articals & web pages on how to do it. Funny enough, I realized the variety no longer held the fascination it once did. ANYWAY, in looking at all these coins, under 10x magnification, was that many of them had what appeared to be what I thought were die cracks, but what actually is more likely die crazing, from what I've read. What's a little weird about this, that I haven't seen before, is that those uncirculated rolls contained dozens and dozens of the same error, on Lincoln's brow. Exact same damage, to many, many of the coins. So, I know this isn't considered a "variety", but, then, what do you consider it?

Sorry about the photo quality. I've tried to get better magnification, or just a very clear photo, cropped & zoomed in, but my phone just didn't do a good job. I considered getting a decent microscope/camera ->> laptop image, but the reason I was home was medical, and I was out of work for 6 months. I love watching all the various coin vids that get posted, and this variation never seems to come up. I know these won't make me rich, but I did eBay a couple for a few bucks, selling two as a set, as opposed to a person only owning a single example.

So, what do you think. The error niche includes far more type of mistakes than I ever imagined, but collectors seem to be few and far between.

Look forward to hearing what you know!
Joe

PS My customer never did turn me on to his other coins. I figure they must've been gold/silver, and he probably figured he wasn't going to offer any "deals" on them, and he probably surmised I didn't have tons of money, as it took him a long time to get me to cut loose $250 for the Lincoln's...
Attachments
Screenshot_20221005-122748(1).png
Screenshot_20221005-122744(1).png

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: UNC 1960-D Lincoln Cents - Die Crazed?

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

There's not such thing as die "crazed", these are die cracks and minor die chips, but they're very common on coins and indicate a die state. Unfortunately, they hold little value in the collector's market. Also both coins are large dates. It's really not about small or large it's a different font or letter shape.

JMK2022
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by JMK2022 »

Thanks, Daniel. I'd never heard of die crazing until I posted that message. I followed a link you mentioned in a vid, but was a broken link. Instead, the first working link sent me to:

https://www.error-ref.com/
https://www.error-ref.com/die-crazing/

where they described hundreds of errors on coins. Die Crazing was the only one that fit...

Joe

JTCC
Coin Guru

#4 Unread post by JTCC »

I agree here, what you see is tiny die cracks and chips.
Just for your information, I here include a comparison image of the 1960 SD/LD cents.
Attachments
5A12E26A-DEAD-4A5B-8362-33523A9B3B35.jpeg
U.S. cent lover!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

Okay, yeah, it’s die craizing and not die crazed. I should have been more specific but die crazing is a bunch of intersecting die cracks.

JMK2022
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by JMK2022 »

10-4