NGCX?

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Iceresistance
Coin Expert

NGCX?

#1 Unread post by Iceresistance »

Video reference from today, what in the world is NGCX? I have never heard of that such name before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB6Vps0bmkE
You are never too old to learn something new

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: NGCX?

#2 Unread post by Paul »

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by Worldwide C »

NGCX will follow the 10 point grading scales used when grading comic books, sports cards, trading cards and more. So maybe NGC is trying to make coin collecting attractive to collectors of the items listed above and maintain the Sheldon scale for the Numismatists.

When is there going to be a “real” international industry standard grading scale? Because even though the Sheldon scale is the “standard” across the board by most grading companies I’ve rarely seen wide usage of it outside grading companies and outside North America.

For example there is at least 8 different European coin grading scales out there for the U.K., France, Spain, Italy, the German speaking countries, Netherlands, Portugal and another used in the Scandinavian countries. :shock:
Worldwide collection “collecting and documenting finds since 2019”.

Facts about me;
  • I have visited 12 countries so far.
  • I have actively hunted for coins in 5 of those countries (UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands and UAE.
  • Avid cat person.
  • I have a sense of dry humour.
  • History/Geography nerd.
  • Pretty good Chess player.

JTCC
Coin Guru

#4 Unread post by JTCC »

:doh:
U.S. cent lover!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

Hmmm....CAC...began by sort of sneaking in the back door of the whole "professional" grading market, and they now have enough followers who "need" a CAC to be satisfied. According to the CAC video concerning their new service, CAC is saying their new slabbing venture will eliminate the need for customers to pay both another slabbing company and CAC also.

So the new -10 scale being implemented makes me wonder if NGC, knowing that (for no real substantial reason) they are considered second in the slabbing market decided they needed a new trick to hopefully not lose the profits they might from people skipping NGC and going directly to CAC?

Hey...maybe PCGS will respond and make a new change by announcing they will legitimize their grading by using verifiable standards? We can hope!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Buried_In_Cents
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by Buried_In_Cents »

If we're being honest, toned coins are a real problem when it comes to grading... I can't think of another graded collectable that earns points from what is chemically a tarnish spreading across the surface of the item. Toning really shouldn't play a factor in giving higher overall grades, or at least should have its own special category. I know old comic books have classifications for white paper or paper that's turned yellow from the storage conditions... why not the same for exceptional toning or unattractive toning?

The kink in my idea is not knowing for sure whether old comic books need to have white paper to attain a higher grade. Does having white paper bump the number grade up? Is it just an asterisk on the grade pointing out an exceptional quality of the item? I feel like toning should be treated like the latter, when it's clearly not. This being said, all comic books started out with white paper and most developed yellowed pages because of how they were stored, and a white paper designation is pointing out the originality of a comic book, whereas toning is the exact opposite. Coins do not come fresh from the mint with colorful toning.

Anyway, I know this is slightly off the topic of NGC offering a 10 point grading scale, but I guess my overall point is that just because it'll visually resemble the systems in place for other collectables, if we don't understand why the item is being graded what it is, the grade is meaningless. If they go through with this and it's successful, I hope they'll be more transparent with their reasoning for handing out specific grades.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

Good post!
...toned coins are a real problem when it comes to grading...
I agree with this, but also see how this idea as a good refute to another argument I have heard over and over.

When resenting the idea of using machines/computers to grade coins, there typically (not on this forum so much) is a huge backlash against die hard slab collectors.

The statement they make is that a machine can never be taught to evaluate eye appeal (they underestimate AI!). But I call it a moot point.

No matter what the slab says, the buyer's personal opinion of eye appeal is all that matters and not the grader or the seller's opinion of eye appeal. Why? B/c it is the buyer who forks over the cash when they like the looks of the coin.

Some slabs have horrendous looking coins (to me) in them with a high MS grade. I would not pay for those while thinking, "Who cares what the grader said...it's ugly!"

Another person might look at the same coin and think, "Wow! Look at the mottled surfaces of that THAT gem," and be glad to pay even a premium. Meanwhile that same buyer had no thought about caring what the graders' opinion of eye appeal was.

I also think the people arguing that eye appeal cannot be taken into account by a non-human grading system might be motivated from a bit from fear that if a better system is used, they stand to lose huge amounts of money they have invested into the slabs they already have.

I personally think accountability and verifiability will result in a major shift in MS70 slab populations accompanied by price corrections (Beanie Babies Part II :D ).
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?