Indo Scythians Azes 1/11 After c.58 BC AR Drachm

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Chance289
Coin Collector

Indo Scythians Azes 1/11 After c.58 BC AR Drachm

#1 Unread post by Chance289 »

This is my first ancient coin and after some study, I have a question about it. I noticed my coin is different than all the other ones in the same NGC holders. Notice, the obverse of my coin the horse’s head is high in the air and the man riding the horse has a spear directing under the horses head. The Reverse shows a man facing left holding a shield.

Now on the example coin I’m using which is taken off the internet. Notice NGC holder says this is the same coin. On the obverse of this coin the horses head is slightly bowed down with the man’s hand above the horses head. On the reverse there is a man or woman facing left with what seems to be a empty hand.

To be clear the first 3 images are of my coin. The last 3 images are of my example coin I’m using from the internet.

My question about this is, did NGC misidentify this ancient coin?
Attachments
CD54B89B-933F-4E62-8B11-848DB0083BC2.jpeg
878245AA-8C65-429F-9934-CA761899DDDE.jpeg
32C9062D-D410-4AA5-8C15-DDA49E2E02D0.jpeg
58C60D8B-7C4A-4A77-97F2-B08F8F767CA4.jpeg
1FA3C764-D936-473F-923D-6CB0C62953F2.jpeg
28DFF367-7DF1-439D-9AE2-F0839DD3E124.jpeg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Indo Scythians Azes 1/11 After c.58 BC AR Drachm

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

I am not pretending to be an expert on ancient coins. But I do know from experience that a specific ancient coin can have a wide variety of appearances though theme of the coin is the same.

I saw an ancient Constantius II coin online that I wanted an exact duplicate up because the effigy reminds me of Mr. Data from Star Trek.
Mr_Data_Ancient_Roman_Coin_1.jpg
Mr_Data_Ancient_Roman_Coin_2.jpg
When I posted my request to a large forum, I was informed by the ancient coin collecting experts that it would be almost impossible to find an exact match because so many coins were made, so many different dies were made by many different artists for that same coin, and so many different mints had made those coins.

I am GUESSING (please note that word) you may be finding out you are in somewhat of the same position.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

CollectorKeith
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by CollectorKeith »

I agree, it is just a different die and maybe a different artist. (I am not an expert but I do look at a lot of ancients and have collected them for fifteen years or so.) The different styles make ancients very fun to collect, as it adds a whole new dimension (individual artists' style and skill) that does not exist in modern coins. Some NGC holders have a 'fine style' designation for particularly good artistry in a coin type. I am fixated on Larissa drachms now, as that design was almost impossible to execute well and when the design works, it is stunning.

And that Data coin is hilarious, he totally looks like Data!

CollectorKeith
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by CollectorKeith »

And I should add yours is a real nice coin!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

Sorry I was not clear. I would LOVE if the Mr. Data was my coin. Unfortunately I learned of it when on another forum someone posted it bc/ it resembled Mr. Data. I spent at least 7 years having ebay tell me daily of every Constantius coin posted hoping to find another...and one never came up! So I gave up!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?