1964 D DDO nickel

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
CharRom
Coinasieur

1964 D DDO nickel

#1 Unread post by CharRom »

I think I finally found a DDO? I think it is in very good condition for a 64!
Attachments
Snap_011.jpg
Snap_010.jpg
Snap_013.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1964 D DDO nickel

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

What did you use to match your coin to a doubled die?

CharRom
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by CharRom »

Daniel wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:47 pm What did you use to match your coin to a doubled die?
I used a book called strike it rich with pocket change. I found it right before we left for dinner. I am going to attempt to matchbox to varity Vista when I get home.
Last edited by CharRom on Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silviosi
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by silviosi »

According by my book, 1964-D Nickel has only 5 hub Doubling on the Brian List and only one on VV. Close pics of your area you see something it is need in order to see clear. Here the link for Brian List of the year: https://www2.briansvarietycoins.com/listings/cat/37 and VV: http://varietyvista.com/04b%20JN%20DD%2 ... DDO001.htm

Close pics please.
These users thanked the author silviosi for the post:
CharRom
Rating: 2.94%

CharRom
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by CharRom »

Daniel wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:47 pm What did you use to match your coin to a doubled die?
Looks like it matches DDR01 to me.

CharRom
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by CharRom »

silviosi wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:51 pm According by my book, 1964-D Nickel has only 5 hub Doubling on the Brian List and only one on VV. Close pics of your area you see something it is need in order to see clear. Here the link for Brian List of the year: https://www2.briansvarietycoins.com/listings/cat/37 and VV: http://varietyvista.com/04b%20JN%20DD%2 ... DDO001.htm

Close pics please.
Thank you for the other website. I really appreciate any help 😁

silviosi
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by silviosi »

Ok, my first answer was for DDO and not DDR, I questioned the Reverse photos, but mistake could arrive any moment. IMHO you look at the Variety Vista DDR-001, 1-R-II-C+VI. Do not matter because those are put at the category of DDR's but in fact are distorted Hub Doubling from left to right and more accentuated to the Right. By your photos you do not convince me because I can not see the IPU which is a big Hint and also the upper sides of the Mausoleum (Monticello). The DDR-001 VV has a big spread right on last O in Monticello. I do not has this variety in my collection due to the miss opportunity to has 66 or better bur I look for from some years.

Hard to made a parallels between VV-Coneca and the Wexler-Brian because VV show hub doubling and Double Die and Wexler just the Hub Doubling for DDR-001. Hard for me to spend the time to assimilate the numbers one with other and is not my priority this. I think for this series we have around 15 to 20 nice DDR's to collect.

CharRom
Coinasieur

#8 Unread post by CharRom »

silviosi wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:46 am Ok, my first answer was for DDO and not DDR, I questioned the Reverse photos, but mistake could arrive any moment. IMHO you look at the Variety Vista DDR-001, 1-R-II-C+VI. Do not matter because those are put at the category of DDR's but in fact are distorted Hub Doubling from left to right and more accentuated to the Right. By your photos you do not convince me because I can not see the IPU which is a big Hint and also the upper sides of the Mausoleum (Monticello). The DDR-001 VV has a big spread right on last O in Monticello. I do not has this variety in my collection due to the miss opportunity to has 66 or better bur I look for from some years.

Hard to made a parallels between VV-Coneca and the Wexler-Brian because VV show hub doubling and Double Die and Wexler just the Hub Doubling for DDR-001. Hard for me to spend the time to assimilate the numbers one with other and is not my priority this. I think for this series we have around 15 to 20 nice DDR's to collect.
Forgive me I have been looking at coins for onky a couple of weeks and I have no idea what all of this means. From what I gather you think it is a DDO? I can see the DD in the reverse? I am sorry I am so confused. I am really trying to catch onto this just because I really like doing it. I will be happy to send closer pictures tomorrow of both sides if you have the time to help me understand?

silviosi
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by silviosi »

Do not matter this for me, but for you: Head it is Observe design is reverse. I answer you for both by what I see. Just send. I do not think so you has Observe, Reverse maybe show what I ask and you has your diagnostic. Those coins are nice but are not price. why ?? the peoples look for fast money and push more the cents.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

I agree the REV "STATES OF" photo looks to be doubled like DDR-001 at Brian's site.

Do the rest of those pictures match up as well?

BYW - some help:
Using just a cell phone to easily take focused coin photos:

:arrow: https://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/view ... hp?t=23514

(OK...you need a couple books and a bottle cap also... :D )
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#11 Unread post by Paul »

:?:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

CharRom
Coinasieur

#12 Unread post by CharRom »

silviosi wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:03 am Do not matter this for me, but for you: Head it is Observe design is reverse. I answer you for both by what I see. Just send. I do not think so you has Observe, Reverse maybe show what I ask and you has your diagnostic. Those coins are nice but are not price. why ?? the peoples look for fast money and push more the cents.
I am sorry I am not understanding you clearly. I think you are asking me what DD it is and why I do not have a price? If so the answer is simple. I am not sure what one it is because I am so new to this but I am going to try to figure it out. Also I have no price on it because I am not doing this to sell the coins I find. I am simply here because this is the best group of people to learn from. Is that what you were asking for?

CharRom
Coinasieur

#13 Unread post by CharRom »

Earle42 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:48 am I agree the REV "STATES OF" photo looks to be doubled like DDR-001 at Brian's site.

Do the rest of those pictures match up as well?

BYW - some help:
Using just a cell phone to easily take focused coin photos:

:arrow: https://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/view ... hp?t=23514

(OK...you need a couple books and a bottle cap also... :D )
I cannot seem to match it up with the die gouges. I put it in a little flip for now. I will pull it out when I have more patience to look. What I have learned is I live looking at the coins but matching them up is challenging for me.