1964 D Quarter Error - Need Help

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
lostthegroove
Coining Around

1964 D Quarter Error - Need Help

#1 Unread post by lostthegroove »

I have found an intereresting 1964 D Quarter that is different than all my others. I cannot find this on any pictures at pcgs.com's price guide for this year. Any information on the clearly visible abnormality that runs through the United and ends at the S in States on the reverse would be a very appreciated.

Thank you.
Attachments
1964 D Quarter Front.JPG
1964 D Quarter Back.JPG
1964 D Quarter Back Zoom.JPG

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 1964 D Quarter Error - Need Help

#2 Unread post by Paul »

:?:
Is this area raised?
:whistle:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

lostthegroove
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by lostthegroove »

To the best of my ability to tell, yes. This pic may help a bit. Not as tall as the D and S but you can see the outline and drop off from the D to the line then the line to the blank surface a little better w/ this image where the debris is clearly visable running along edges as well if you zoom in more.
Attachments
IMG_4410 - zoom.jpg

lostthegroove
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by lostthegroove »

About the most i can zoom w/ my cam to see raised. The debris along the edge leads me to believe that is a yes. Harder to capture clearly up close as it runs under the T in UNITED.
Attachments
IMG_4410 - zoom more.jpg
IMG_4410 - zoom more.jpg (50.75 KiB) Viewed 515 times
IMG_4410 - zoom - Copy.jpg

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

:?:
Please keep in mind that I'm using an Internet image for diagnosis here
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

lostthegroove
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by lostthegroove »

Paul wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:16 pm :?:
Please keep in mind that I'm using an Internet image for diagnosis here
Completely understand. Just such a uniform line as it travels is why it caught my eye. Your expertise is greatly appreciated with any help that you may be able to provide.

silviosi
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by silviosi »

I understand the photos. Hard to take, not easy. IMHO if it is raise could be previous struck trough debris which left marks on the Anvil and then the followings strike will has those raise marks. Others possibilities could be, but only in hand could be diagnoses. I see it is a old dies and circulate coin which will complicate a little bit but could be analyze. Maybe Paul if has time can analyze on hand this coin. Damage it is not Type C. This coin was strike in the begin of the 1965. The missing of the Die Crack on the border of the left wing show the 1965 strike.

test with a tooth pic if it is raise.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

It appears to be a small die gouge.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

Using just a cell phone to easily take focused coin photos:

:arrow: https://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/view ... hp?t=23514

(OK...you need a couple books and a bottle cap also... :D )
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

lostthegroove
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by lostthegroove »

Daniel wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:14 pm It appears to be a small die gouge.
Interesting! Thank you. My lack of knowledge of the full process makes it harder for me to understand exactly how that would work and you dont see the damage in the lettering as well but it is running under them. Must be the gouge is not deep and only on the surface leaving the appearance the gouge runs under the letters as you can see it under the T as well but not affecting the T or the D for that matter? It surprised me when I finally got a closer look how it runs all the way back through/under the T as well. Such a uniform / perfect line width and arc wise, I wonder what could have made that so perfectly? Probably no added value other than the silver content I would imagine?

I really appreciate all of your time and opinions on this. I spotted it when I was taking a quick look at a bunch of 64's that I was going to trade in at a LCS.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

It can’t run under the letters it has to gouge through them, but since the letter cavity in the die is in use so not raised, so the gouge is not as apparent in the letters.
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post:
lostthegroove
Rating: 2.94%

lostthegroove
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by lostthegroove »

Daniel wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:28 pm It can’t run under the letters it has to gouge through them, but since the letter cavity in the die is in use so not raised, so the gouge is not as apparent in the letters.
Thanks for all info man! I really dig your channel.