Question about holders

Discuss or ask questions or posts paper currency topics. World currency is allowed as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
gottobeg
Coining Around

Question about holders

#1 Unread post by gottobeg »

Hello.

I am an Estonian collector and I am constructing a 20.000$ worth album for my Estonian bank notes. There are 410 total UNC bills in my collection and I will try to include them all in one huge album.
My plan is to put them all in individual PVC sleeves and then laminate them in strong A3 sheets and then put them in a binder. I have no intention to ever take them out but would like the option for them to be removed safely and undamaged if needed.

My main question is: what are the effects of plastic sleeves or plastic in general on banknotes? I have read that PVC-type plastics are supposed to damage the bills over time - some say that the colors may blur over time and some claim that there will only be dust remaining after some years. The theory is that over time, chemical elements are released from the plastics into the bill, which then degrades it. I have then tried to look for some kind of example on the internet where the sleeves have destroyed the bill, but for some reason I can't find the pictures anywhere. It is said that it may not happen in 5 years, but it may happen in 50 years. How can you be sure of such a thing when the test period has been relatively short, there are very few bills that have been in plastic pockets for 50 years, and precise information is lacking? Some even claim that they have seen changes in 5-10 years but with no actual proof. I personally think that a large part of destruction may also come from the paper used, the composition of the ink used in printing, the amount of light or UV, the humidity, the temperature, the specific composition of the PVC pocket itself, dirty handling and the combination of all these things. Could it be that, for example, a certain ink and a certain PVC film simply cause a chemical reaction? There is certainly a difference between PVC and PVC plastics as well, and I have also heard of a thing, where when smelling sleeves, a strong smell of plastic also indicates greater chemistry and therefore faster decomposition. So what is correct and can anyone give specific examples?

I am aware that Mylar and other products specifically friendly to paper money are sold, but they are considerably more expensive. If you can get a regular pocket for maybe a few cents, specially designed films cost 50 cents each, etc. It is obvious that 400 notes divided by 50 cents equals 200 euros, which is a large amount, but next to a collection worth 20,000€, it is relatively non-existent money. Unfortunately, special sleeves are not sold in such perfect sizes for my notes that they look as polite as possible under the laminate (at least I haven't found them). I myself found 1mm bigger PVC sleeves, which are completely odorless, and I already have enough of them and they are a prefect fit. I wonder what materials banks use for novelty packaging and, for example, PMG and other graded paper money companies use, and have they also noticed any changes in the preservation of notes over time?

My main point from this is: How likely is it that my notes will be damaged after 100 years if I put them in odorless PVC sleeves and then laminate them and keep them in an album away from the elements? And also do you know any specific examples of plastics ruining paper money?

English is not my first language so I apologize for any typos and I am excited to hear back from you.
Thank you.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Question about holders

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Welcome
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#3 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Hello and Welcome to the forum!
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by Worldwide C »

As I also live in Europe (UK to be exact) I have been using a Leuchtturm album (under €50 and states it’s free from any chemicals) for my notes for nearly 2 years now and so far I have seen no change in any of my notes, including the paper and polymer notes.
https://www.leuchtturm.com/album-for-30 ... black.html
Worldwide collection “collecting and documenting finds since 2019”.

Facts about me;
  • I have visited 12 countries so far.
  • I have actively hunted for coins in 5 of those countries (UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands and UAE.
  • Avid cat person.
  • I have a sense of dry humour.
  • History/Geography nerd.
  • Pretty good Chess player.