Should I submit my One Cent 1909 S VDB for grading?

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
GDZeek
Coining Around

Should I submit my One Cent 1909 S VDB for grading?

#1 Unread post by GDZeek »

Should I submit this One Cent 1909 S VDB before selling it?

The family received this from our grandfather a while back. It's been stored in a (neglected) box along with other coins. No one in the family is a coin collector or is interested in keeping any of the coins.

From my cursory research, I believe this one cent piece may have some value (>$100), but I don't really know for sure. So I'm wondering if it's worth the money to get a PCGS grade prior to putting it up for sale? Or should I just save myself the hassle and grading cost and put it up on eBay or bring it to a Coin Shop?

Thanks.
Attachments
COIN_230524h.jpg
COIN_230524t.jpg

mikev50
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: Should I submit my One Cent 1909 S VDB for grading?

#2 Unread post by mikev50 »

www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5217/Count ... nts---this should help---if authentic its a 1000$ + coin---what other coins where in the box---thanks

pnwmakes
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by pnwmakes »

I would send it to ANACS to make sure it is authentic. If it comes back authentic then to PCGS or NGC and then to Heritage auctions. Just my opinion. I would also wait and see what others on here say.
Member of CONECA
Island Dweller
Former U.S. Navy

finalfantasy
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by finalfantasy »

I would get it graded from ANACS, PCGS or NGC as the last person posted said. You'll probably get the most money if its in a PCGS holder though. Most people pay a bit more over NGC but NGC is still pretty good as well. ANACS is underrated but usually you'd get a bit less than in PCGS or NGC. FYI I think that coin looks AU maybe low MS60 grade but that is my opinion. According to PCGS AU50 is in the $1525 range and MS63 is $2600 but that is high end retail. If you sold it on EBay you'll probably get a bit less than that or more depending upon the demand for the coin as it is a key date.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/190 ... 1c-bn/2426

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

First: a PGCs slab will bring in more money typically. The reality of it is that there is no real reason for this b/c none of the companies actually grade the coins themselves...meaning there is nothing scientific about it. All graders simply use opinion from their training.

The very fact you can crack out a coin and resubmit it hoping for a better grade is proof of the fact that what you see on the label is not anything verifiable or guaranteed (this is not what the guarantee is about).

Second: WOuld it be possible to get a better picture of the date area itself? The picture gets too fuzzy for me to be sure about the mint mark.

I admit with the present pics I am a bit skeptical of this one. Look at pictures1 and 4 in the following. These are two varieties with an angled mint mark. Look at the line between the bottom of the 9s in number 2. Number 2's MM sticks just above that line. Note that number 4s mint mark touches the line.

Yours is lower than the line (as shown). It also appears, from your pictures, that the mint mark on yours is the wrong font.

A clear pic of the MM would tell more. BTW the numbers in the graphic are arbitrary.
Click to enlarge.  Save for reference.  Feel free to share.
Click to enlarge. Save for reference. Feel free to share.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

pnwmakes
Coin Expert

#6 Unread post by pnwmakes »

finalfantasy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:24 pm I would get it graded from ANACS, PCGS or NGC as the last person posted said. You'll probably get the most money if its in a PCGS holder though. Most people pay a bit more over NGC but NGC is still pretty good as well. ANACS is underrated but usually you'd get a bit less than in PCGS or NGC. FYI I think that coin looks AU maybe low MS60 grade but that is my opinion. According to PCGS AU50 is in the $1525 range and MS63 is $2600 but that is high end retail. If you sold it on EBay you'll probably get a bit less than that or more depending upon the demand for the coin as it is a key date.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/190 ... 1c-bn/2426

The reason I would send it to ANCS first is it is the cheapest no membership fees just to make sure it is authentic, then if authentic send it to PCGS or NGC. If you send it to PCGS or NGC first it will cost you much more with membership and cost of grading. and if it comes back counterfeit you will be out a lot more money.
Member of CONECA
Island Dweller
Former U.S. Navy

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

I would send it to be graded and authenticated.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#8 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:02 am I would send it to be graded and authenticated.
👍
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

GDZeek
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by GDZeek »

Earle42 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:02 pm First: a PGCs slab will bring in more money typically. The reality of it is that there is no real reason for this b/c none of the companies actually grade the coins themselves...meaning there is nothing scientific about it. All graders simply use opinion from their training.

The very fact you can crack out a coin and resubmit it hoping for a better grade is proof of the fact that what you see on the label is not anything verifiable or guaranteed (this is not what the guarantee is about).

Second: WOuld it be possible to get a better picture of the date area itself? The picture gets too fuzzy for me to be sure about the mint mark.

I admit with the present pics I am a bit skeptical of this one. Look at pictures1 and 4 in the following. These are two varieties with an angled mint mark. Look at the line between the bottom of the 9s in number 2. Number 2's MM sticks just above that line. Note that number 4s mint mark touches the line.

Yours is lower than the line (as shown). It also appears, from your pictures, that the mint mark on yours is the wrong font.

A clear pic of the MM would tell more. BTW the numbers in the graphic are arbitrary.

09.jpg
Here's the best I could do with my iPhone. :)

Thanks.
Attachments
ONECENT_1909S_VDB_H.jpg
ONECENT_1909S_VDB_T.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

Maybe some help:
Using just a cell phone to easily take focused coin photos:

:arrow: https://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/view ... hp?t=23514

(OK...you need a couple books and a bottle cap also... :D )
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Buried_In_Cents
Coinasieur

#11 Unread post by Buried_In_Cents »

As people have said, it needs to be authenticated. The VDB on the reverse is correct, but I don't like the position of the mintmark... this is only personal opinion however, and I'm not seeing the coin in-hand.

ANACS first, for sake of cost and ease of transaction. If it comes back genuine, you can send it to either PCGS or NGC to get the most money out of it when you sell it.

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#12 Unread post by Iceresistance »

It could be an altered 1909 VDB, but only ANACS can have the true answer.

Please don't forget to tell them that this could also be a altered 1909 VDB if it is not a legit 1909-S VDB.
You are never too old to learn something new

GDZeek
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by GDZeek »

mikev50 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:41 pm www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5217/Count ... nts---this should help---if authentic its a 1000$ + coin---what other coins where in the box---thanks
An inventory of the coins in the box is on my To Do list :)

mikev50
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#14 Unread post by mikev50 »

i would send it to anacs---much cheaper and just as good---i see no need to send it to pcgs or ngc---if the coin is real in that shape it will bring a very good price---

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Earle42 »

Those pictures of the legit mint mark positions can be found online and also verified by looking down through the ling list of graded ones on PCGS coin facts (yes...I once did).

I know I have seen this wrong mint mark position 09S VDB before. It is one of the "nicer" fakes with even the VDB 's slanted B midline being properly slanted, but V is off, the D is, the V's period, and the B is also off (though more subtle).

I wish I knew where I have seen this one before so I could post it.

Following is a pic to show the above and also other subtle things can be found like the F's "flags" in OF are also slanted upwards to the right.
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
BTW...the blue line is there b/c I used to it rotate and line up the words OF AMERICA to make sure the pics of the coins were at the same angle one to another.