1944 Lincoln Cent Error

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
louiswelrod
Coining Around

1944 Lincoln Cent Error

#1 Unread post by louiswelrod »

I found this cent in my change in about 1964 and have kept it ever since. The silver-colored chip is non-magnetic and has a finish that looks similar to a 1943 steel penny. I have thought that the chip might be a sliver of zinc left over from the 1943 minting or maybe a bit of silver, but I don't know enough about the minting process to really judge. Would someone know the error type and what the metal might be? Is it likely to have much value? I am planning to have it authenticated and graded, but I would like to know more before that. Thanks.
Attachments
Picture3.jpg
Picture2.jpg
Picture5.jpg
Picture4.jpg

louiswelrod
Coining Around

Re: 1944 Lincoln Cent Error

#2 Unread post by louiswelrod »

I am sorry. This is my first post and I did not see the posting guidelines until after posting it. I hope the coin in the holder is sufficient, but I will repost if I must.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by mhonzell »

Hard to tell behind the plastic. It does appear metallic and joined with the coin. This could be a strike-through where the material was retained. Or, it may have occurred somewhere in the last 78 years of circulation.

Grading companies will only authenticate that this is a 1944 Lincoln Wheat Cent. If you can tell them what the defect is, they MAY agree and add it to the label. Otherwise, it will not be mentioned, or it may give the coin a Details grade as they consider it to be damaged. The coin is very circulated as evidenced by the wear on Lincoln's hair, ear, cheeks and on the reverse by the diminished details in the wheat stalks. This will not grade very high... maybe VG->F. So, in the end, you would spend a couple hundred dollars to get it authenticated and graded for a coin that might only be worth a few cents.
These users thanked the author mhonzell for the post:
louiswelrod
Rating: 2.94%

Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

louiswelrod
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by louiswelrod »

Thanks for the reply. I mentioned that I have had it in my possession since about 1964, so there has not been 78 years of circulation. Here are some pictures I happened to have not in plastic. I am not sure how this could happen in circulation and preserve the rim.
Attachments
Penny Close-up 2.jpg
Penny Obverse.jpg
Penny Close-up.jpg
Penny edge.jpg
Penny Obverse 2.jpg

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#5 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Hello! Did you weigh it? Do the magnet test?
Looks like a Normal cent with the Zinc layer exposed. JMO.
These users thanked the author SensibleSal66 for the post:
louiswelrod

Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by mhonzell »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:44 am Looks like a Normal cent with the Zinc layer exposed. JMO.
Sal, there was no zinc layer in 1944. :lol:
louiswelrod

Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#7 Unread post by Paul »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:44 am Hello! Did you weigh it? Do the magnet test?
Looks like a Normal cent with the Zinc layer exposed. JMO.
These users thanked the author Paul for the post:
louiswelrod

C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Paul

#8 Unread post by Paul »

Using your images here for attribution… This appears to be a foreign substance on the surface of the coin.
These users thanked the author Paul for the post:
louiswelrod

C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by mhonzell »

louiswelrod wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:11 am I mentioned that I have had it in my possession since about 1964, so there has not been 78 years of circulation.
:lol: Okay, so it had 20 years of circulation before it was put away.

As I said, it could be a retained strike through, but more likely it is something like tin foil that was adhered to the coin by a contaminate. The foil was pulled away, and this piece tore off and stuck to the coin. The later photos kind of show it being on the surface. So, as Paul likes to say... we'd need to see this in hand to tell you what it really is.
louiswelrod

Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Marvic
Coin Wizz

#10 Unread post by Marvic »

It looks like someone did a pennie repair job with solder heated onto this cent (silver or lead)...
These users thanked the author Marvic for the post (total 3):
mhonzell, louiswelrod, oldbearjames
Rating: 8.82%

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Earle42 »

I agree - simply looks like solder or lead.
I am planning to have it authenticated and graded, but I would like to know more before that.

And you are smart for asking first. You would spent around 200.00 and gotten back a graded 1944 penny in sa slab with no mention of an error. And...they would not tell you why. They do not tell people why they do what they do!

See the PM I sent you concerning grading companies.
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post (total 2):
SensibleSal66, louiswelrod
Rating: 5.88%

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

louiswelrod
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by louiswelrod »

In reply to the comments:
I have not weighed the coin, but the foreign metal is not magnetic. I agree with mhonzell that this is a coin that may need to be in-hand to get a good evaluation. I appreciate all the replies and I certainly am not sufficiently expert to rule any of the ideas out.

My own assessment, having looked at this coin for years, is that a metal chip was present in the die or broke off of something and was pressed into the coin. IMO the edges are too sharp for a chemical action and I am unaware of any chemical action that could give that appearance (I am a chemist). The shape of the coin is smooth and the rim is preserved over the chip as if it were pressed by the die. In addition, it may not show well, but in the close-up edge photo you can see that the copper of the rim is slightly depressed where the chip is pressed in as I might expect if a foreign metal chip were pressed into a planchet. Also, the edge photo shows that the foreign metal extends through about 3/4 the width of the coin. The color seems very similar to "steel" pennies that I have. Since the chip is not magnetic and "steel" pennies were zinc coated steel, I have thought the foreign metal is probably zinc, though nickel and silver may be possibilities.

Does this train of logic make sense? Do you think it is likely or possible? What would the accepted name for that error be? I appreciate any additional input.

FYI, I do not believe this coin is worth a lot of money, but I am sufficiently curious after having it for about 60 years to expend a little cash to get a good final answer about its origin. When I was 14, the store owner I worked for offered me $75 for it, which was a lot of money then. Probably should have accepted and invested it, but I have been happier owning it.
These users thanked the author louiswelrod for the post:
SensibleSal66

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by mhonzell »

Zinc is very unlikely. It would not have survived this long... especially those first 20 years. Silver or nickel as a foreign substance in the mint are also very unlikely. Nickel is also magnetic. That's how I came to think it would have to be something very thin taking the shape of the coin and stuck in place, like foil or solder.
louiswelrod

Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#14 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

mhonzell wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:34 am Zinc is very unlikely. It would not have survived this long... especially those first 20 years. Silver or nickel as a foreign substance in the mint are also very unlikely. Nickel is also magnetic. That's how I came to think it would have to be something very thin taking the shape of the coin and stuck in place, like foil or solder.
I agree with the solder theory now. :D
These users thanked the author SensibleSal66 for the post:
louiswelrod

Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).