Is this coin gradable or has it been cleaned/polished?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
RJCoins
Coin Collector

Is this coin gradable or has it been cleaned/polished?

#1 Unread post by RJCoins »

Hello - I purchased a 1917 WL half dollar advertised as being in BU condition with the intention of having it professionally graded. I’ve attached a few photos below. I’d appreciate if Daniel and other experienced collectors would offer their opinion of whether it has been altered in any way.

I’m particularly concerned about the faint stripes on Liberty’s skirt and the worn/smoothed surface along the left leg and up toward the shoulder. Smaller worn areas are also on the Eagle’s legs and breast and upper edge of the wing. I checked it online against MS graded coins of the same year and they too seem to lack detail in these areas. In contrast, these details on my MS60 1941 WL are quite distinct. The luster of the 1917 coin seems similar to my 1941 although I would appreciate input on that as well.

Thanks.
Attachments
42F847F9-BFA3-460F-AFD6-2968A124094A.jpeg
869C814C-AD13-4632-ABB9-817A1F6C92F9.jpeg
33013A7B-0274-49BE-915F-FBC163323D90.jpeg

CaptJohn2
Coinasieur

Re: Is this coin gradable or has it been cleaned/polished?

#2 Unread post by CaptJohn2 »

It doesn't looked cleaned (to me) but I would call it AU based on what I see on the eagle's breast and this area of the cape.
Help1.jpg

RJCoins
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by RJCoins »

Thanks for your input. So you feel this coin may have actually experienced limited circulation? I was wondering if the early WLs were not struck as strongly as the later ones, but you point about the cape is well taken.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

This coin is almost uncirculated

RJCoins
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by RJCoins »

Greatly appreciate your opinion.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

I agree with the Cap'n and Daniel. Weak striking on Walkers is typical, but yours is showing slight wear in an area not normally associated with the weak strike areas.

She is still a beauty for being over 100 years old!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

She's a nice coin but Earl and I know our Walkers so you're getting much more than a opinion here.

RJCoins
Coin Collector

#8 Unread post by RJCoins »

Well thanks for the assurance. I feel better that it’s at least gradable. However, it was presented as being uncirculated, but that’s another matter. Appreciate your expertise.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

Check out the prices of sold items in the varying grades for this coin. It might not be worth the price to slab if you are wanting to flip it. The source I checked say the highest AU grade is 138.00 That might not be enough to profit from if you join PCGS, pay the fees, and then list it online to sell (more fees!). Do the math first.

Also find Daniel's videos on whether or not to slab a coin. GREAT info there.

Be aware that even the most experienced dealers call grading (to make a profit) a gamble. Since there is absolutely no science to grading, and opinion is the only things used, no one knows what is going to come back from the company. In fact you can grade a coin, break it out, resubmit it to the same company (even!) and never be assured of having the same grade again.

Now if you want it in a slab b/c you like slabs...go for it!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

RJCoins
Coin Collector

#10 Unread post by RJCoins »

I did view Daniel’s video on whether it is worth grading a certain coin. You’re right, it offered GREAT info.

I also agree that grading coins is not an exact science. However, as you, Daniel and CaptJohn2 readily picked up on, my coin shows signs of circulation. One would hope any experienced dealer would be able to do the same. I’ve been an amateur collector off and on for years, but apparently I still have a lot to learn. Thank you for reaching out.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

If they're honest and knowledgeable, some dealers are not and you don't have to be a coin expert to be a dealer.

RJCoins
Coin Collector

#12 Unread post by RJCoins »

Hi Daniel - Just saw your new video and, as always, it offered great info. However, if someone is not certain about something, then they should at least qualify their remarks. A number of online dealers say “appears” uncirculated or even do offer their opinion but say “...but you judge for yourself and bid accordingly”.

When a dealer puts in bold capital letters “BU” and identifies the item as uncirculated with no qualifications, then they better be certain about it whether the dealer is experienced or not. Thankfully, I didn’t base my offer on this claim. I wish more dealers were like you.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Earle42 »

We all do!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

They should know but they're not all honest, that is the problem.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

The coin on bottom has more reflective fields and reflects more light, it could have been dipped but this doesn't mean it was. ezest will not harm UNC coins, but if the coin was cleaned in the past and then dipped in ezest or if the coin is circulated, then it will look cleaned. I've used ezest for 20 years, among many other coins cleaners and dips on the market.