PCGS Coin Imaging??

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
DSCoins
Coin Guru

PCGS Coin Imaging??

#1 Unread post by DSCoins »

Why would PCGS be doing "Coin Imaging" when I never ask for this option?
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Funky Strike
Coinasieur

Re: PCGS Coin Imaging??

#2 Unread post by Funky Strike »

Maybe they think if they get enough people wanting their coin graded AND a nice picture of it - then you'll soon need BOTH to sell a coin?

Almost as crazy as putting a sticker on it that just says "CAC" making it worth more
Attachments
01.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

I made this a long time ago now.

When slabbing first started we joked how ridiculous it was for people to pay for what they could do for themselves, and also how riidculous it was for people to accept a sef appointed group of experts setting themselves up as THE authorities on a coin's condition.

We also joked one day people would be "dumb enough" (that s NOT a negative statement - it is a fact of what we said) to pay someone to grade the grade on the slab. Oh well.

Times have changed, a market has evolved and so people legitimately use the companies to make a profit, or just use them b/c they like slabs.

But..it was a couple years ago a company offered a MACAC sticker to verify the CAC sticker! Thankfully people didn't go for it...yet.
When wiil it end?
When wiil it end?
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#4 Unread post by DSCoins »

So far I have been lucky with the coins I have sent out to be graded. As a member of the ANA I have sent coins out to NGC, I have sent to PCGS along with ANAC. The ones I have sent them have come back between MS-68 to 70. All the earlier ASE's have come back MS-69 or MS-70. Accouple did come back MS-68. I know about what many (Earl included 😛) feel about grading. The only reason I do it, is it is very hard in house to keep the correct humidity. I have found that that best way for me to keep some of my coins from becoming ruined is to encapsulate them. Not but about 1/2 of the coins I have for that set. If I have 4 coins of the same type same year I'll send two out. What gets me is they say that the coins I sent in are "being imaged" which I never asked for.
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#5 Unread post by Paul »

SEE
Attachments
GOLDEN HORSESHOE v21 TP proof.png
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

I know about what many (Earl included 😛) feel about grading. The only reason I do it, is it is very hard in house to keep the correct humidity.
I sure understand that aspect of it but...slabs are not going to protect from humidity. This is why coins can continue to tone inside a slab.

Slabs not being airtight is one of the other mistaken pieces of info I try to tell people. Years later a person may just pull that beautifuuly tones Walking half out of storage to find it finished toning to black inside the slab! A 2X2 offers as much humidity protection as a slab (got that from a former company grader p owner of ACE coins in Hagerstown, MD).

Personally, I prefer the Air Tite capsules for not taking up as much room as slabs, but they are a pain to store! Whereas slabs will stack nicely, but take up a lot more room.

I am slowly converting over to Encap album pages. The all plastic pages are designed to hold the Air Tite capsules. So the collection is ordered like a regular album, but all coins are in capsules. For storage though I STILL will put in silica gel packs.

BTW - ask a local furniture store to save the silica gel packs they get with EVERY pice of furniture that is shipped to them needing some assembly. The bags are large and they throw them away. I asked one to just hang a Walmart bag on a nail in the room the put the furniture together and ask the workers to throw gel packs in the bag rather than the trash. Within a month I had more than I could use. No gel packs in the landfill, the store doesn't have to pay for them being tossed, and the free packs benefit the coins. Win win win!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

That's interesting, I've never once seen a black toned coin in a slab. I think there's a point in the toning that is basically protects itself from further toning as long as the coin is stored properly.

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#8 Unread post by DSCoins »

Daniel wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:32 pm That's interesting, I've never once seen a black toned coin in a slab. I think there's a point in the toning that is basically protects itself from further toning as long as the coin is stored properly.
I have three coins from ANACS which tarnished after they were slabbed. On one which is a MS-70 2006-W 20th anniversary, the other two are 2011 ASEs MS-69. I did contact PCGS and told them that they had started to tarnish. They said via Email that if want, they would restore them for nothing and re-encapsulate them if I enclosed the email they sent me with the order. The trouble I see is why just these three? They are stored in the same box as 21 other coins which are perfectly fine.
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by Triple C »

You have now, it went from rainbow colors to black and gold:
20210923_232634.jpg
20210923_232458.jpg
But in hand, it actually looks really good.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

Daniel wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:32 pm That's interesting, I've never once seen a black toned coin in a slab. I think there's a point in the toning that is basically protects itself from further toning as long as the coin is stored properly.
Confession time!

I have not personally seen this myself. My knowledge of this, and I welcome correction, comes from:
1. Accumulated reading about this subject on another forum for many years before I started here.
2. An assumption (not always a good thing) tarnishing will take its natural course on coins just as it does on non-coin silver items.

To make it clear...
I have not seen a black coin in a slab. I just always figured when tarnished coins get bad enough in slabs, people crack them out and dip them. I also have seen at least one pretty gross looking and dark one on eBay in the past. But...it could have been slabbed that way also.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Earle42 »

DSCoins wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:28 pm
I have three coins from ANACS which tarnished after they were slabbed. On one which is a MS-70 2006-W 20th anniversary, the other two are 2011 ASEs MS-69. I did contact PCGS and told them that they had started to tarnish. They said via Email that if want, they would restore them for nothing and re-encapsulate them if I enclosed the email they sent me with the order. The trouble I see is why just these three? They are stored in the same box as 21 other coins which are perfectly fine.
Wow...kudos to PCGS!

Why just those three?

My best guess is someone at the company accidentally contaminated the coin and the contamination was not visible to the naked eye.

Or maybe something was in the plastic slab itself when they put the coin in it. I was meticulous with my Kennedy Halves dipping each in acetone, allowing the acetone to totally evaporate, and then putting each in an Air Tite capsule. There had to have been something in one of those capsules (just one thankfully) b/c after storage for a couple of years, I found one half with a spot "growing"on it. I suspect pre-coin slabs can be "infected" as well(?).

OldSilverDollar
Coin Collector

#12 Unread post by OldSilverDollar »

I've bought a few coins in NGC holders that had dirt inside them like lint and one had a hair in it. I turned around and resold for a small loss on Ebay as sold "Damaged Holder"

I never returned them when bought as did not pay attention or see the stuff until a few months later by then most had settled on the coins themselves..one coin was stained by the black lint as it moved around settling on different parts on the coin.