👀 IMMEDIATE ANSWERS: Step by step find your Doubled Die or RPM online! 👀

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

👀 IMMEDIATE ANSWERS: Step by step find your Doubled Die or RPM online! 👀

#1 Unread post by Earle42 »

You should use this method for every coin you find that you think is a doubled die or an RPM. If you do not find yours there, then your coin is not the error you are asking about. It is likely damage or some form of non-collectable doubling such as machine doubling.

In the following example, we are looking to see if our 1977-D cent is a doubled die. This method works for any modern US coin.

First go to varietyvista.com and scroll down
Variety Vista Home1-2.jpg
You will now see the following - select which coin you are looking up and the proper range for the date In this case a 1977-D cent):
Variety Vista Home3.jpg

You will see the following now. Choose the DDO button to show ALL DDOs for Lincoln cents.
Variety Vista Home4.jpg
You will see the following. Scroll down to find the proper date and mint mark (1977-D):
Variety Vista Home5.jpg
When you scroll you will see 1977-D - click there
Variety Vista Home6.jpg
There is only ONE known DDO for 1977-D b/c, as you can see, only DDO-001 is listed there. If there were more than one for this date, they would also be on that page.
Variety Vista Home7.jpg
Click on the DDO-001 to see all pictures for this DDO

Scroll to see more pictures of the DDO-001. Yours much match ALL the pictures to be the DDO-001.
Variety Vista Home8.jpg
If yours does not match all the pictures, then yours is not the DDO. If you think you see doubling anyway, then you probably have a coin with machine doubling on it or some other kind of non-collectable doubling

It is this simple for all of the coins you want to check.
Please do this with ALL of your coins before you post them and ask if they are a doubled die or an RPM.

If the coin's date and mint mark has many doubled dies listed, such as DDO-001, DDO-002, DDO-003 etc. The check DDO-002 to see if yours matches all the DDO-002 pictures. If not, then try DDO-003, etc.
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post (total 32):
Jlynn8523, Daniel, JTCC, Iceresistance, Justice41ca, Funky Strike, puretrading, PetesPockets55, PeaceMaker, MarkConner61 and 22 more users
Rating: 96.97%

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: IMMEDIATE ASNWERS: Step by step find your Doubled Die or RPM online!

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Nice, this needs bumped everyday.
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post (total 10):
JTCC, Jlynn8523, Bellis, mosthated1971, ILoveLA31, Cg67, JMARION2122, aginelo, Ariel Cabrera, alohacoins
Rating: 30.3%

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

Thanks - its a sticky!
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post (total 4):
Jlynn8523, Cointrueseeker, JMARION2122, ?Pam
Rating: 12.12%

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Jlynn8523
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by Jlynn8523 »

Earle42 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:27 pm You should use this method for every coin you find that you think is a doubled die or an RPM. If you do not find yours there, then your coin is not the error you are asking about. It is likely damage or some form of non-collectable doubling such as machine doubling.

In the following example, we are looking to see if our 1977-D cent is a doubled die. This method works for any modern US coin.

First go to varietyvista.com and scroll down
Variety Vista Home1-2.jpg

You will now see the following - select which coin you are looking up and the proper range for the date In this case a 1977-D cent):
Variety Vista Home3.jpg

You will see the following now. Choose the DDO button to show ALL DDOs for Lincoln cents.
Variety Vista Home4.jpg

You will see the following. Scroll down to find the proper date and mint mark (1977-D):
Variety Vista Home5.jpg

When you scroll you will see 1977-D - click there
Variety Vista Home6.jpg

There is only ONE known DDO for 1977-D b/c, as you can see, only DDO-001 is listed there. If there were more than one for this date, they would also be on that page.
Variety Vista Home7.jpg
Click on the DDO-001 to see all pictures for this DDO

Scroll to see more pictures of the DDO-001. Yours much match ALL the pictures to be the DDO-001.
Variety Vista Home8.jpg

If yours does not match all the pictures, then yours is not the DDO. If you think you see doubling anyway, then you probably have a coin with machine doubling on it or some other kind of non-collectable doubling

It is this simple for all of the coins you want to check.
Please do this with ALL of your coins before you post them and ask if they are a doubled die or an RPM.

If the coin's date and mint mark has many doubled dies listed, such as DDO-001, DDO-002, DDO-003 etc. The check DDO-002 to see if yours matches all the DDO-002 pictures. If not, then try DDO-003, etc.

Hey do me a favor Earle42 don’t click on my my topic about Repunched/Misplaced Mint Marks! I’m pretty sure my dog jumped up and started typing on my keyboard and I accidentally made a post that I did not authorize so it be pointless for you to even look at it! Lol😂😂😂
INDIANA’S BIG BASS HUNTER
COIN COLLECTOR FOR 4 YEARS
FATHER OF THE FIRST EVER BOY NAMED CALIBER!

Clint W
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by Clint W »

bumping for the new guys. Seems to be quite a few new guys lately
These users thanked the author Clint W for the post (total 3):
Jlynn8523, P3nnyPinch3r, Ariel Cabrera
Rating: 9.09%

USAF Retired 1995-2018
Fairly new to collecting

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

Thanks - I made it a sticky hoping anyone going to that forum to post an error coin will note this at the top of the list there.

Maybe some flashing arrows added to the post and a mandatory "READ ME FIRST pop up up could help! 😂😂

@ Jlynn8523
So your dog is a numismatists also?!
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post (total 3):
Clint W, Jlynn8523, Iceresistance
Rating: 9.09%

Jlynn8523
Coinasieur

Re: 👀 IMMEDIATE ANSWERS: Step by step find your Doubled Die or RPM online! 👀

#7 Unread post by Jlynn8523 »

Lol! Yeah bad thing is he’s better at coin collecting then me! 😂😂
These users thanked the author Jlynn8523 for the post:
PetesPockets55
Rating: 3.03%

INDIANA’S BIG BASS HUNTER
COIN COLLECTOR FOR 4 YEARS
FATHER OF THE FIRST EVER BOY NAMED CALIBER!

Madi 113
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Madi 113 »

You for this website I really needed something for double doubled does other than Lincoln pennies.

Madi 113
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by Madi 113 »

Thanks for the info it’s great. Is it true that if your error not found it could be a discovery?

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

Brutal Honesty Check 1: You will almost certainly NOT make a new doubled die discovery (unless on a newly dated coin).

Brutal Honesty Check 2: Many non-errors can fool people into thinking they have a new doubled die (meaning they can now pay off the mortgage).

Brutal Honesty Check Explanation:
In the last 10 years of being on coin forums (and usually at least twice a day) I can remember only one (!) legitimate DDO discovery coin that was worth anything. I may be forgetting another one? But you get the idea.

Think about that. Ten years of, at least twice a day, people wanting to know if they have a new doubled die. And I remember only one, a 1919 Mercury dime DDO, that was a legitimate and "good" new discovery coin that collectors would pay a decent premium for.

Why is the above true?

Since the internet was born, there have been thousands (more?) of collectors daily looking for new varieties so they can be credited as a discoverer (or they just enjoy them - a rare breed). And as time goes on, technology has made the relatively inexpensive and powerful equipment available so anyone can now use a microscope to search for varieties.

Lets talk about newly minted varieties and discovery coins:

Let's pretend a 2022 good DDO (no microscope needed to see it) nickel is made next year (in 2022). How long would it take to hit the coin hobby news? Very little time would pass, and everyone would be looking for one.

Within a few weeks of people scouring and hoping to find another "money maker," lesser DDOs might be found, eBay sellers will rip people off by hyping up the lesser DDOs, a few will sell for big bucks, and then the prices will taper off as more and more are listed.

After a year or so the "micro" DDOs would be found and documented. But typically no one cares enough about these for them to make their "eBay debut." After that a few may trickle in, but by then the finds are so non-spectacular that few collectors will even pay attention or notice.
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post (total 6):
Paul, PetesPockets55, Melodyinusa, Cg67, aginelo, alohacoins
Rating: 18.18%

puretrading
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by puretrading »

This is the greatest most helpful and understandable help I have yet had with regards to helping me to help myself when it comes to having a readily avail not vague catalogue ...thankyou so much :)
These users thanked the author puretrading for the post:
Earle42

RickEDee
Coin Collector

#12 Unread post by RickEDee »

Thanks for the referal. VarietyVista,com is a great reference source. This is one site that should be Bookmarked on everyone,s PC.
These users thanked the author RickEDee for the post:
Earle42

Below74
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by Below74 »

Per CONECA there is only 5 Merc Dime varieties for 1916-29 and 11 noted for just 1940-45. So half noted in 3 times the timeframe as 1940s.. Almost every year and Mint have varieties all thru the 40s. Im led to believe this is due to sample sizes and associated costs.. Fairly easy to get bags and bags of better grade 40s and compare vs lower grade teens and twenties. Im sure there’s still discovery pcs to be found for early Mercs. However they would be more difficult to find due to not being able to get these in rolls or bags by date to compare
Just my opinion. The numbers indicate that there is
More to find or the QA process was much better in 1916-1929 than in the 40s.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Earle42 »

I have been on two coin forums almost every single day for the past 11 years (hard to believe its been that long!). I remember only one new legit good variety on a non-newly minted coin being found in that time.: the 1919 DDO-001 Mercury dime. There have now been decades of (who knows how many thousands of) collectors searching for varieties and reporting them since the internet was born.
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post (total 2):
Paul, Below74
Rating: 6.06%

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#15 Unread post by Paul »

Earle42 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:58 pm I have been on two coin forums almost every single day for the past 11 years (hard to believe its been that long!). I remember only one new legit good variety on a non-newly minted coin being found in that time.: the 1919 DDO-001 Mercury dime. There have now been decades of (who knows how many thousands of) collectors searching for varieties and reporting them since the internet was born.
This is why they are called "RARE"
These users thanked the author Paul for the post (total 2):
Earle42, CharRom

C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

OldFFguy
Coining Around

#16 Unread post by OldFFguy »

Thanks for everyones replies.
The link provided sure has a lot of info.

Cointrueseeker
Coining Around

#17 Unread post by Cointrueseeker »

I am always appreciative of the knowledge and information that you guys impart and I thank you for that website. However, what if you stumble onto a find no one has discovered. The chances are slim I know I come to you guys because I don't know and want to know. That's aggravating for the learned sometimes I realize. But, I have three boxes of coins and currency United States and world that my father willed to me. All kinds of proofs, bullions etc. I don't want to make any mistakes. Thanks again

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Daniel »

Cointrueseeker wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:20 am I am always appreciative of the knowledge and information that you guys impart and I thank you for that website. However, what if you stumble onto a find no one has discovered. The chances are slim I know I come to you guys because I don't know and want to know. That's aggravating for the learned sometimes I realize. But, I have three boxes of coins and currency United States and world that my father willed to me. All kinds of proofs, bullions etc. I don't want to make any mistakes. Thanks again
Please refrain from posting your coins here. If you think you found a discovery coin then you go to CONECA's website and in the menu click services, then attribution or examination and click it. You will find the people who attribute discovery coins. Coin groups nor forums can help you with this, you must seek an attributer in the field.
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post (total 2):
Cointrueseeker, alohacoins