👀 Cleaning Coins 101: or "Altered Surface Coins 101" 👀

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 👀 Cleaning Coins 101: or "Altered Surface Coins 101" 👀

#31 Unread post by Earle42 »

As with everything in life worth doing, education (and hands on experience) is the way to understand how to do anything. I would never pay a slabbing company to conserve a coin b/c all they are going to do is likely what safe procedures I outlined above...and charge and arm and a leg for doing it.

But then again, I am a die hard researcher and DIY'er when it comes to anything. I also have learned from experience though that I make sure my homework is done (and done well) ahead of time, and I make sure I take no interest in how fast the job can be done (vs. doing it right).
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

JakBird
Coining Around

#32 Unread post by JakBird »

What about cleaning some of the worst looking coins that come out of a bag of 90% junk silver? These are good or VG at best, common dates and have little collector value. As an example, consider pre-65 Roosevelt dimes or Franklin halves with a lot of black spots. On average the wear factor is much less than Liberty dimes/halves, what harm is done cleaning the surface if it doesn't appreciably affect silver content?

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#33 Unread post by Earle42 »

When something has no hobby-collectable value, then you cannot remove hobby-collectable value by cleaning it. Melt it melt.

If someone wanted to take the time to clean them, I am not sure of the benefit.

Also, the above techniques may work anyway without just taking a scrub brush and Comet cleanser to them. Personally I like the history of the coins too much to do something harsh to them. That's just me.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

JakBird
Coining Around

#34 Unread post by JakBird »

Being retired I do have the time. As for the benefit, I don't plan to sell them for the foreseeable future. Second class coins like 90% junk silver exist for the precious metal value, in that day far in the future when some member of my family sells them. A nice aesthetic doesn't hurt the premium over spot (and that is the question) but it does make the coins more attractive to the next buyer...and to me. I'd like to see the details under the crud on top.

Comet, no, but there are ways to remove some of the oxidation without abrasives (aluminum foil, hot water, detergent, salt and baking soda). Sure there's a very small amount of silver lost, but it's no worse than being worn down in circulation.

I'd never subject a Morgan dollar to this, but a 1959-D Roosevelt dime in circulated condition? Why not?

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#35 Unread post by Earle42 »

A nice aesthetic doesn't hurt the premium over spot (and that is the question) but it does make the coins more attractive to the next buyer...and to me
Which is what this thread was about - how to safely make sure the coin has not been altered while removal of foreign matter is accomplished. A legitimate aesthetic brings a premium and does not change the metal of the coin (in looks or otherwise).

But the baking soda method you mentioned gives an artificial shine to the coins compared to what the look of minted silver actually looks like. I have used this to take the tarnish off of silverware (minus the salt and soap).

I saw a youtube video where a newbie was using this exact method to make his coins "more expensive to make money" by making the more shiny. He ruined several good coins by stripping the traces of actual mint luster that had and giving them an easily recognizable fake shine. While they would look pretty to people not used to the hobby, the damage was obvious to anyone knowing the difference. These are the kinds of coins that come back from a grader as "cleaned" and do not bring a premium in the hobby.

In other words, shiny-from-cleaning does not mean "valuable" to coin collectors, it means ruined coins.

Original luster from the mint, and from the physics behind the process which produces it, cannot be duplicated with chemicals or any other method of cleaning.

To remove crud - use the ways mentioned in this thread and you will not deprive these pieces of history of potential value. Nothing, to a coin collector, is worse looking that an artificially cleaned/altered pile of silver coins.

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#36 Unread post by Matthudson »

I don't know, Earle. I hate to play Devil's Advocate, but I was able to successfully upgrade this excavated, heavily corroded 1866 Shield Nickel all the way to a "P01 - details" grade!

Just by letting it soak in a mixture of vinegar, lemon juice, and salt for an afternoon. Now, off to ICG for slabbing. I'm gonna ask for TWO dollars for it! Or what size hole should I drill in it to yield the most useful washer? If the coin has a diameter of 21mm... maybe 13-14?

Some circulated coins (silver) do "come back" after time with natural ingredients, like baking soda (pat - don't rub. Or boil in distilled water solution). Lemon juice brightens faded unc cents. Be BRIEF!! Vinegar for nickel, I shy away from using salt, except to remove stubborn corrosion, accepting that it will also etch the surface of the good part of the coin too. Chemicals like bleach, ammonia, CLR - are never beneficial. Leave the coins exposed afterwards for a few months. Smoke cigars around them. (Yes, I did just say that!)

S2310523.JPG

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#37 Unread post by Matthudson »

Earle42 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:46 pm
A legitimate aesthetic brings a premium and does not change the metal of the coin (in looks or otherwise).

But the baking soda method you mentioned gives an artificial shine to the coins compared to what the look of minted silver actually looks like. I have used this to take the tarnish off of silverware (minus the salt and soap).

To remove crud - use the ways mentioned in this thread and you will not deprive these pieces of history of potential value. Nothing, to a coin collector, is worse looking that an artificially cleaned/altered pile of silver coins.
Plus, remember the mantra: "Toning is your friend!" The only time any coin should be considered for conservation IMHO is if the toning is absolutely unfavorable to the overall appeal, or there is a reasonable chance that the coin will be improved which is more often not the case. At any rate, coins of any considerable value are best left for a trusted professional to decide. Also, you can do what I do: If you can't decide, just give all the coins you're unsure of to Earle.

(I tried, Earle.)

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#38 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

Earl, I thought there was a reason nobody responded to my question. Thank you for this post. What is xylene? Or where would I get it? I've used acetone (nail polish remover,) but I'm not familiar with this.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#39 Unread post by Earle42 »

@Matt
Earle42 wrote: ↑Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:46 pm
A legitimate aesthetic brings a premium and does not change the metal of the coin (in looks or otherwise).

Plus, remember the mantra: "Toning is your friend!" The only time any coin should be considered for conservation IMHO is if the toning is absolutely unfavorable to the overall appeal, or there is a reasonable chance that the coin will be improved which is more often not the case. At any rate, coins of any considerable value are best left for a trusted professional to decide. Also, you can do what I do: If you can't decide, just give all the coins you're unsure of to Earle.

(I tried, Earle.)
Oh my...how did I miss THIS post? Well, I may be late to it Matt, but I got a good :laughing-rolling: out of it!

BTW - the annual parade of antique cars went by my house today. Always love it. But this year there was a Hudson! Guess who I thought of? It was in bad shape though so no pics. Evidently the guy has just started to restore it. Its paint job literally looked like someone did it with a brush and house paint as well as graffiti being all over it.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#40 Unread post by Earle42 »

@waynesonofpeter:
waynesonofpeter wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:45 pm Earl, I thought there was a reason nobody responded to my question. Thank you for this post. What is xylene? Or where would I get it? I've used acetone (nail polish remover,) but I'm not familiar with this.
Xylene can be found in the paint thinner section. Use it outside b/c it stinks!

Although I never had to resort to xylee yet. I once let a Mercury dime sit in it for a couple months (closed container so it did not evaporate) just so I could tell people online it does not mess with the metal of the coin.

Walmart Xylene
Walmart Xylene