Spanish Colonies Mint Mexico Cob- 8,4 & 2 Reales- Holder titled 1656 Gilt Dragon

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Ares89
Coin Collector

Spanish Colonies Mint Mexico Cob- 8,4 & 2 Reales- Holder titled 1656 Gilt Dragon

#1 Unread post by Ares89 »

Hello, I have had this set of silver Cobs for a while and I had it tested and the results were that they were real silver but my question is could this be legitimate Reales from the "Gilt Dragon 1656"? From my research, the shipwreck was discovered by Alon Robinson and some coins were exhumed however the Australian Government quickly contested his claim to the treasure and a very long and interesting story played out resulting in the "Wa maritime museum" ending up in possession of about 20,000 cob coins and "Allegedly" Alon Robinson and some friends were able to retain ownership of an unknown number of cobs evident by them surfacing up here and there in private collections. The numbers vary however it's rumored about 4,000 coins are in a private collection. Now, I did find footage and lots of pictures that the museum took showing a large pile of silver cobs and from my comparison, they are identical in shape, size, and markings to the ones I have pictured below. Now, I know that it could be the same coins from the same mint without it being from the Gilt Dragon However, These coins came in a very old style holder that looks like it is from a museum or from a sale of a set from Alon Robinson as it does has his signature. Please take a look and let me know what you guys think and as always it is very much appreciated and God Bless! P.S.- Here is the description inside the original holder in case it is hard to read it by looking at the pictures. Also, I removed the coins from this case very carefully because I wanted to examine the coins and I just haven't bothered putting them back into it. The test I had done was a "thermal test" I believe which came back over 90% pure silver( I can't recall the exact number but I want to say 97%)

-- "The Guild dragon DE VERGULDE DRAEKE space was a three-masted, square-rigged, Dutch merchantmen, 160 foot long and 48 foot wide. Under the command of Captain PIETER ALBERTS, she sailed on her maiden voyage from TEXEL, Holland, on the 4 October 1655. A rich cargo of merchandise to the value of 106.400 guilders was carried as well as 78,600 guilders in eight boxes of coins after calling at cape town on 12 January 1656, she sailed for capital BATAVIA, capital EAST, by way of the roaring 40s and north along the west Australian coast. At 4 AM on the 28th April 1656, she struck a reef 3 miles offshore and 14 miles south of capital LANCELIN. Of the 193 people on board 116 were drowned seven return to BATAVIAN 68 remained assure never to be seen again.

The wreck was found on the 10th August 1957, by Allen Robinson, whose autograph appears below.

The coins shown are from the Spanish colonies mint in Mexico and are good specimens of the hand minted cob which had to be a weight of silver and not a pretty machined coin

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... =625&dpr=1
https://www.sterlingcurrency.com.au/blo ... shipwreck/
https://oztreasure.weebly.com/gilt-dragon-treasure.html
Attachments
IMG-1449.jpg
IMG-1448.jpg
IMG-1450.jpg
IMG-1459.jpg
IMG-1458.jpg
IMG-1457.jpg
IMG-1455 (1).jpg
IMG-1451 (1).jpg
IMG-1452.jpg
IMG-1453.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Spanish Colonies Mint Mexico Cob- 8,4 & 2 Reales- Holder titled 1656 Gilt Dragon

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

The cobs look real but no one is going to be able to tell you if they actually came from that wreck, not in this group. You would have to contact Heritage Auctions and see if they have an expert on these.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Spanish Colonies Mint Mexico Cob- 8,4 & 2 Reales- Holder titled 1656 Gilt Dragon

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

I agree. Nice set either way.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?