Grading proof eagles

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Telh74
Coining Around

Grading proof eagles

#1 Unread post by Telh74 »

Hi, I came across a youtube video recommending this site for questions. I need you option on grading proof eagles, I'm not want you could call a professional collector more of a uneducated collector of coins I started buying proof coins sets silver and regular and uncirculated and proof eagle from the mint just did it because I liked them not really to make money and stopped years ago when the mint stated raising the price so high when silver sky rocketed and I only buy some every now and then anyways I just started to look into grading eagles because they seem to be more valuable then started to wonder if I should have my eagles graded or just leave them in the original holders, I really dont look at them much and need to pull them out and write down the dates I have i would say 1990ish thru 2000ish and some random ones afterwards and 2 sets of the reverse ones the first time they did that but if you could let me know if having them graded is a good idea or not Thanks

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: Grading proof eagles

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Hello and Welcome!! :)
Do you have particular coins that you thinking of having graded? Pictures help. Just follow the instructions for posting images please. :mrgreen:
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Telh74
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by Telh74 »

Just wondering if some or all proof eagles should be graded

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#4 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Telh74 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:19 am Just wondering if some or all proof eagles should be graded
This is what I discovered for your reading about which years that are more desirable than the others.
https://coinweek.com/bullion-report/the ... er-eagles/ :dance:
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#5 Unread post by Paul »

Welcome
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

The problem with all of this is that because the companies use no verifiable scientific method to grade a coin, getting a perfect grade does not depend upon anything except the whim of the graders looking at your coin.

For example, you can break a PCGS PF69 Eagle out of its slab and resubmit it and there is no guarantee it will get the same, better, or worse grade the next time they grade it.

This is why even dealers like Daniel cannot become rich by finding MS70s to have graded and then sell.

The companies seem to keep the numbers of PF70 (and MS70 where applicable) graded slabs under control. The more rare they keep the better grades, the more the few that are out there keep rising in price. The higher these rise in price, then the more people the companies entice to crack out and re-submit the same coin over and over hoping to get a PF70 (or MS70 on non-proof coins).

Its all a gamble and a game with them.

Read the essay in my signature for an eye opening example of the real nature of these companies. It can likely save you money in the ling run.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Telh74
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Telh74 »

So I've checked the ones I have
1989,1992,1994,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007.. 2006 20th, 2012 2 coin set if any are worth grading let me know

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#8 Unread post by DSCoins »

Telh74 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:11 pm So I've checked the ones I have
1989,1992,1994,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007.. 2006 20th, 2012 2 coin set if any are worth grading let me know
If you have checked them as you say, then there is no reason we need to do your work. Your next step is to figure out how much it will cost you to get them graded. If the cost to dept shows a positive, then I might consider it. Now that our work is done, yours is just beginning. The last bit of help I will give you is check PCGS price listings. There is no one here who will research the value of your coins for you. This is not what we are here for.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Telh74
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by Telh74 »

I had to dig them out is what I meant by that and I did look but it still confusing to a person like me thats not really hard into collecting i buy something and throw it into bag in the closet

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#10 Unread post by DSCoins »

Telh74 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:22 am I had to dig them out is what I meant by that and I did look but it still confusing to a person like me thats not really hard into collecting i buy something and throw it into bag in the closet
It is still not what we do. You have the dates, and I have given you a place to look. We are not here to do your research as to what all your coins are worth. We are here to answer questions on it a coin to let the owner know if it is damaged or a mint error.
Again, look here for your answers. Coin values
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Telh74
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by Telh74 »

I'm not asking for a value of a coin I'm asking if a particular year american eagle proof should be graded of the ones I have listed.. not being a professional coin collector I would think thats a simple question to ask but maybe I'm looking at it wrong..

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

Go to PCGS price guide and see what they're worth in the different grades.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Earle42 »

Telh74 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:36 pm I'm not asking for a value of a coin I'm asking if a particular year american eagle proof should be graded of the ones I have listed.. not being a professional coin collector I would think thats a simple question to ask but maybe I'm looking at it wrong..
Yes - I think there is a communication problem.

You ask if any are "worth grading."

These words really have no real meaning to a coin collector unless they are used in a couple specific instances.

If you are thinking of selling a coin, and you have done the research to see if you think that coins is in good enough condition to get a high enough grade that (after doing more research for prices people pay for that date in the highest grades) people will pay a premium for the coin, and then if you make sure to tally up the grading fees (not cheap!) and any other fees (for example ebay fees) that would be taken out of your profit, then you might want to gamble in sending it in and hoping the graders are having a God day and feel like giving you a high grade (graders use no science - its not verifiable and they are not accountable).

If you want a coin graded just b/c you like slabbed coins, then any coin is "worth grading" since you like them that way.

Other than that, the idea of a coin being "wroth grading" is at best a fictional idea the marketing departments love for people to have. The more people there are who wonder if a coin is "worth grading," without knowing the real reasons why knowledgeable collectors DO get coins graded, the more money the companies make.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

You have to know a coin's value to know if it's worth sending off for grading. So you must use a price guide from the grading service to determine this.