Did I Hit A Home Run With My Paper Currency Submission? ( response)

Discuss or ask questions or posts paper currency topics. World currency is allowed as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
TunaMcButter
Coin Collector

Did I Hit A Home Run With My Paper Currency Submission? ( response)

#1 Unread post by TunaMcButter »

Hi all i wanted to do this in response to the video Daniel posted earlier not in a negative way i wanted to take this opportunity to share my experience in looking at notes and what goes into the factor of the grade, while grades are always subjective to the individual grading it there are some things you can look for to help you to decide if you want to pull that trigger and send your note to be graded.
Okay 1st bill up to bat this 1950 D Choice UNC serial D 08271986 is a nice-looking note some would call this a birthday note being that its Aug. 27th 1986 (08271986) it looks good at first blush, but when you get down to looking at the note most will miss what makes this a 64 so if you look at the top of note right on the edge starting from the S in federal reserve and run to the N in the word Note you will see a series of 7 small black lines that looking like checking from handling the bill, then if you look to your left, you see small black smears one directly below the R one to the right of the R before the 4 one to the right of the seal and one to the left of the seal, then more along the bottom, one under treasury, more smudging by the plate serial number, flipping the bill over now that you know from the front what you're looking for, you can look on the reverse and find the same, this is from handling the bill when it comes to bills you have to handle them like old documents and wear cotton gloves. All in all though it’s a good grade that makes this a book price of 400-500
1950 front.jpg
1950 reverse.jpg
On the second note I will be brief the PPQ comes from no checking on the paper like the 1st bill, the 64 comes from some handling marks on the front and some handling marks on the reverse and the centering. Oh I almost missed its not necessarily the brightness of the ink its more the paper and less the ink on the paper that makes for a ppq or epq

Daniel said he didn’t think sending this off was something he would normally do, but I would based on the fact these are star notes the district can also come into play for the notes value IE if the district was Minneapolis, for that series year it only had 144k star notes making a note in that grade 1250-1350 even though it ran him some 600 bucks 3 notes makes him whole just in 64

So getting into his 65 yes there is a difference in the note go back to what I said at the start to see the difference, he points out the things that make it a 65 yes those are the things that make it a 65 those blemishes, there is a lot of handling on these bills, even those small little blemishes hurt the grade, centering just like in baseball cards hurt the grade

The silver cert 1935 same thing centering is off there are signs of handling on the reverse 1928 funny back its not the front that kills you it’s the reverse all of the funny backs hitting in the low 60’s is the centering and the handling, the 65 is the centering

So, for that 67 keep that note and use it as a guide or just take high resolution scans and use that as guide. I hope this helps some of you I am starting to think a video explanation would go a long way

So here are the grade requirements for notes

https://www.pmgnotes.com/paper-money-gr ... ing-scale/

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Did I Hit A Home Run With My Paper Currency Submission? ( response)

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Good post but when I say I don't usually send these notes in I mean the common districts. Thanks

TunaMcButter
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by TunaMcButter »

no worries common districts on star notes depending on the year are worth money in the grade so dont shy away from that a good bill is a good bill regardless of the district when its a star from say the 50's

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

I have the books and common districts are rarely worth it unless you get the grade, and that is why I don't. I buy a lot of notes and most are not worthy, the collection I recently bought was an exception not the rule. So I don't bother unless I know they're going to do well being graded. I hope that explains it better.