I bought a roll of cents on eBay with a 1931-S on the end

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Matthudson
Coin Wizz

I bought a roll of cents on eBay with a 1931-S on the end

#1 Unread post by Matthudson »

When you're finished watching your paint dry, you can join me on my adventure with the unpacking of an eBay sale that ensnared my curiosity.
Here is a "mystery roll" with a 1931-S coin on the end. Could it be legitimate? (HINT: nah!) Is this just an excuse to unload a bunch of crappy coins? (HINT: YES!!)

1931-S eBay auction.JPG

I restricted my bid to only the amount I was prepared to pay for the coin I could see.

Not surprisingly, the seller does not accept returns! That is a HUGE, BIG, FAT, RED FLAG!!! HOWEVER! If the product offered does not match the description, that all goes out the window. eBay WILL step in, if the seller does not cooperate. A return request from a buyer for the reason "Does not match description" is also a detriment to the seller. Too many, and the account gets restricted, or shut down. Thus, I propped my phone on a tripod to get an uncut video of the whole unpacking to use as proof, in the event that the sale is not on the level. (I recommend everybody do this! Even better, if you can have other people present.) Here is that video:

Hope you found this entertaining and educational!

Epilogue:

I requested a return. The seller accepted and then promptly "blocked" me, so I couldn't even send a message. I felt in my own sense of fair play, I would give the coin a shot and first try to list it in an auction. The darned thing "flew off the shelf" within 3 hours! I actually expect to break even, plus/minus about $3.00, depending on how the rest of the coins sell. Lucky for him! I retracted the return request.

Here is my listing; I hope you can see that there was ultimately no need for dishonesty or trickery after all! I listed it for $105, and might have been able to make more, but I didn't have the nerves to wait it out. I stomped on the first "Buy it Now" offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165473003191

Screenshot (116).png

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

Re: I bought a roll of cents on eBay with a 1931-S on the end

#2 Unread post by Matthudson »

Photos of the 1931-S through my camera lens - you can easily see it's not the same coin as the one pictured:

S2230527.JPG
S2230527a.JPG
S2240014.JPG
S2240005.JPG
Last edited by Matthudson on Tue May 10, 2022 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#3 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Hey! I was bored and thought it would have been nice to have something to do besides watch paint dry. I watched your video, well most of it with some skipping. :doh:
I think that you got some decent coins plus the "cleaned" 1931S which I feel you did alright with if it is Authentic. :?: Personally, I would have passed it up like a NY second. The thing is no one got physically hurt. :lol:
Take Care, Be safe. Sal
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by Matthudson »

It was a freakin' train wreck! Consider it a public service announcement. Me taking one for the team. Note: Watch the video at 1.25 speed, it is a bit long and boring, primarily captured to CYA, well, mine, anyway! If the coin is counterfeit, I call the police - it's that simple!

Interestingly, I did have one in the past with a 1909 IHC showing. This one the seller did not swap out the coin. It was worth more than the price of the whole auction. But, then! The insides? Wowie! Several IHCs with full LIBERTY and early mint-marked teens. I had a second Big Mac that day!

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by Matthudson »

This is a great year to handle. The spread between F and XF is so ridiculously narrow. I was lucky. Even an impaired XF specimen busted down to a net Fine grade retains much of its value. I think it was something like $70 - $85 wholesale?

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by Matthudson »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:58 am Personally, I would have passed it up like a NY second
That's because you have a little more sense than God gave a goose! Sometimes, you need a little drama in your life, I guess. Why I thought it would be a good idea? Sorry, my mind's a blank! I got nothin'!

I don't think I emphasized this point: The seller SWAPPED out the coin. Or photoshopped in a picture of another coin in his listing! It's not even the same coin pictured. That is a nasty character trait right there!
Last edited by Matthudson on Tue May 10, 2022 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Matthudson »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:58 am if it is Authentic. :?: "

We don't use language like that in this house! :D

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#8 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Ohh, I see. Yes, very nasty. :twisted: :shifty:
At least you knew what happened and solved the issue. ;)
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by Matthudson »

You see in my listing that the verbiage is very precise. I was born naked, I may die naked. But I WILL die with my integrity intact!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

I don't think I emphasized this point: The seller SWAPPED out the coin. Or photoshopped in a picture of another coin in his listing! It's not even the same coin pictured. That is a nasty character trait right there!
Wondering whether or not if you had entered this with ebay as a "received wrong item" if the seller would not have had to refund the money? This seller is in a gray area close to being called a scam since the 31-S in the pic he has online was a lot better than the one you got.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#11 Unread post by Iceresistance »

The only reason I can think of on why that seller blocked you is because he/she realized that they got caught!
You are never too old to learn something new

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

We could really have some fun if I did a video on this and the seller. lol

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#13 Unread post by Iceresistance »

Daniel wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:07 pm We could really have some fun if I did a video on this and the seller. lol
Can the video title be called "How to spot Coin Scammers on eBay and how to report them"? :)

I do want to mention that most sellers on eBay are honest and will have a refund option if the buyer got a defective or bad and wants it refunded.

The Scammers are so greedy! All they really want is money! :angry:
You are never too old to learn something new

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#14 Unread post by Matthudson »

He absolutely had to pay for the return shipping, despite his "Seller does not accept returns" policy. HowEVER... This time the sneaky-snake got off the hook easy. I put it up for auction and got an immediate offer. That and the sale of three IHC left me $5.50 shy of the purchase price. Or, $5.47, as 3 others went straight to the bank. I have a bunch of Lincoln #2 folders and am running an auction for a 30-coin collection with a couple of nibbles.

The thought crossed my mind to use his shipping label that he has to pay for and send him an envelope filled with confetti - but that's not my style. (Ebay decides and prints the label, if the seller doesn't cooperate, and the buyer can prove his point.)

First several red flags were his feedback, whereby he responded to every dissatisfied customer accusing them of trying to put one over on him. He'll get his account pulled, and then open another one with a different handle immediately thereafter, I'm sure.

BUT! This one - also part of the roll-of-fortune - is getting quite a bit of attention because of the die cud drama on the reverse: (Hmmm... is this a $5.00 coin to someone?) Time will tell! It's got two bids already up to $1.59.

S2260546.JPG
S2260552.JPG
S2260556.JPG

Lesson: If you're gonna be a sucker and fall for a shady shell-game scam, video tape the unpacking from start to finish. I should have actually had a second person helping with the phone. Oh! And stop bidding on CRAP! Go outside and PLAY, or something. Get some fresh air.
Last edited by Matthudson on Mon May 16, 2022 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#15 Unread post by Matthudson »

Iceresistance wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:58 am The only reason I can think of on why that seller blocked you is because he/she realized that they got caught!
Austin-Powers-Mike-Myers-as-Dr-Evil.jpg

One MILLION Per Cent!

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#16 Unread post by Matthudson »

Daniel wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:07 pm We could really have some fun if I did a video on this and the seller. lol
I'll tell you what, Daniel. If you want to use any part of my video - please feel welcome! (This link is clickable, even though the video preview won't load here.)

Here's the link to the original listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265664058239?n ... 7675.l2557

At the very least, to advise viewers to be cautious, as well as take precautions! I took a risk, because I've never handled a 1931-S Lincoln that didn't evaporate like water on hot lava stone at a profit! Very much in demand date! I wouldn't have cared if the rest of the roll was buttons and hard candy!
Last edited by Matthudson on Mon May 16, 2022 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JTCC
Coin Guru

#17 Unread post by JTCC »

Matthudson wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:38 pm I wouldn't have cared if the rest of the roll was buttons and hard candy!
Lol. :lol:
U.S. cent lover!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Earle42 »

Now holdonnaminute!

I think the ebay seller is not the only scam being perpetrated upon us!

On very careful attention being paid to the video, I noted this cannot be our own Mr. Hudson in the video! It has to be some shyster pretending to be Mr. Hudson!!!!

Say it isn't so! (Ethyl!)

How can you tell?????

The guy in the video...

has....

a MUSTACHE!

Will the REAL Matthudson PLEASE STAND UP!?
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#19 Unread post by Matthudson »

Snapshot - 386.png

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#20 Unread post by Matthudson »

Matthudson wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:08 pm BUT! This one is getting quite a bit of attention because of the die cud drama on the reverse: (Hmmm... is this a $5.00 coin to someone?) Time will tell! It's got two bids already up to $1.59.
bids for 1956.JPG

I truly don't understand people's tastes sometimes! This one almost got chucked into the "wheaties for 2 cents" bowl!

JTCC
Coin Guru

#21 Unread post by JTCC »

actually, rather than a cud, I believe this is a retained interior die break.
U.S. cent lover!

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#22 Unread post by Matthudson »

JTCC wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:22 am actually, rather than a cud, I believe this is a retained interior die break.
Very good to know! I appreciate your expertise here.

I'm absolutely ignorant in the genre! I will pass that information along to the new proud owner.

I'm grateful that it did attract interest and will get me to the break even point with this whole premeditated roll scam disaster! I got Serendipity pushing double shifts for my sake this time!

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#23 Unread post by Paul »

JTCC wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:22 am actually, rather than a cud, I believe this is a retained interior die break.
I agree
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#24 Unread post by Earle42 »

Snapshot - 386.png
Snapshot - 386.png (114.46 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
Matthudson wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:29 pm Snapshot - 386.png
Photoshop!

Or...are you going to try to tell us you grew that yourself????

:teasing-tease:

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#25 Unread post by Matthudson »

I'm Mediterranean. I shave my legs - up to my forehead.

Paul

#26 Unread post by Paul »

Matthudson wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:11 am I'm Mediterranean. I shave my legs - up to my forehead.
Ouch :!:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#27 Unread post by Earle42 »

Matthudson wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:11 am I'm Mediterranean. I shave my legs - up to my forehead.
:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rofl: :laughing-rollingred: