Wheat Cent folder(?) damage. Can it be cleaned?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Redline68
Coin Collector

Wheat Cent folder(?) damage. Can it be cleaned?

#1 Unread post by Redline68 »

I have an old (Copyright 1949) Whitman wheat cent album with many coins in it. I didn't fill it, it was given to me by someone approximately 20 years ago. The coin conditions look pretty good on the obverse except for a rust spot on a steel cent.

Problem: Today I popped out a few cents to look at the reverses and they all looked something like the below picture. A black substance on the reverse. Is this from the album? Will acetone take it off (I've never used it before). If all the coins look like this they apear pretty damaged unless there's something that can be done.

Thanks for any input.
Attachments
Cent damage.jpg

JTCC
Coin Guru

Re: Wheat Cent folder(?) damage. Can it be cleaned?

#2 Unread post by JTCC »

trying 100% pure acetone won't hurt. Keep us up with the results! :)
U.S. cent lover!

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by Iceresistance »

1949 Wheat Cent holder? That's old! I wonder if there was Indian Head Cents in there as well . . .
You are never too old to learn something new

JTCC
Coin Guru

#4 Unread post by JTCC »

Iceresistance wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:10 pm 1949 Wheat Cent holder? That's old! I wonder if there was Indian Head Cents in there as well . . .
Those holders are actually printed after 1949, since they got the mintage figures of later dates. They are very common is used condition, I just broke open 30+ of them last saturday for my LCS.
U.S. cent lover!

Redline68
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by Redline68 »

Good point on the mintages. The last listed mintage was for 1961. No Indians, just wheats and memorials 1941-1961 and a blank page with wheaties from the teens, 20's and 30's.

I guess I might as well give acetone a try on one. I have no idea where to get some. Might have to search engine that.

Now I'm fearful for the wheat album I did as a kid. It started in 1909 and was full except for 5-6 coins. Can't find it though. I probably bought that around 1980. Hopefully that paper was more kind to the coins.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

I guess I might as well give acetone a try on one. I have no idea where to get some. Might have to search engine that.
Walmart or Dollar Store - health and beauty dept. It is sold as fingernail polish remover. Make sure it says pure acetone on the bottle.

Let them sit covered in acetone for a minute and see what happens. Do not scrub or rub them. Pat dry with a cotton cloth (old cotton T-shirt is fine). Kleenex and paper towels can scratch coins.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Matthudson »

Super highly skeptical this can be saved. Surprise me!

My first step would be to boil it in distilled water with a small drop of Dawn dish soap. Then soak in acetone.

If I could get 5 cents per coin for wheaties 1941-1958, that would be a great day! One example where selling coins in a collection is more profitable than selling them individually. A full, clean folder of circulated coins typically brings around $8.00 to $10.00, unless you get lucky and find someone who will pay more!